All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Turning at fast speeds equals no turn

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
murphyslaw
murphyslaw

Turning at fast speeds equals no turn Empty
PostSubject: Turning at fast speeds equals no turn   Turning at fast speeds equals no turn Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2020, 11:09 am

I noticed with my Sears Craftsman II that when I try to make a turn going full speed that it will continue to go straight as the front tires drag on an angle, after about a good 15 ft it will finally make the turn. If I slow down a little bit it stops dragging and makes it turn instantly. This is a stock tractor with no modifications on it. How do I prevent it from doing this. More weight on the front end? Maybe bigger tires? Heavier tread instead of turf tires?

I want to be able to get this fixed before doing any modifications. If I'm going to make it go any faster I don't want to not be able to turn at all when cruising around.
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2020 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2020 Build-Off Top 3 Winner

PostSubject: Re: Turning at fast speeds equals no turn   Turning at fast speeds equals no turn Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2020, 3:16 pm

i would say a grippier tire would improve it a lot, turfs are more or less meant to slide along the grass to prevent ripping it up when mowing at a lower speed, so a more aggressive tread pattern should help out greatly,
Back to top Go down
Murraymountain
Veteran Member
Murraymountain
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Turning at fast speeds equals no turn   Turning at fast speeds equals no turn Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2020, 3:37 pm

About how fast is full speed?
Back to top Go down
murphyslaw
murphyslaw

PostSubject: Re: Turning at fast speeds equals no turn   Turning at fast speeds equals no turn Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2020, 3:40 pm

Thanks darkside!
Where are you guys find new tires at? I heard somebody say they take the back tires and put them on the front.

Full speed.. idk how fast it is.. maybe 8 miles per hour but that's a complete guess
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Turning at fast speeds equals no turn   Turning at fast speeds equals no turn Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Turning at fast speeds equals no turn
Page 1 of 1