All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

adding a Limited slip diff to a 2500 peerless... Any ideas?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

adding a Limited slip diff to a 2500 peerless... Any ideas? Empty
PostSubject: adding a Limited slip diff to a 2500 peerless... Any ideas?   adding a Limited slip diff to a 2500 peerless... Any ideas? Icon_minitimeJune 8th 2021, 1:45 pm

I've been told that a few GT transaxles have a limited slip diff and I wanted to see if this can be done on a 2500 peerless. This is one with a diff carrier and two pinion gears. Apologies if my terminology is bad, I'm not the strongest with final drive assemblies. I'm sure somebody's going to ask why I wouldn't lock it, and the reason is that a locked tranny on ice is not great. Believe me, my grandad drove a 10 wheeler plow and even those don't steer good with a locker. Anyway, I'm sick and tired of spinning out and I wanted to see if there is ideally a drop in assembly (probably doesn't exist but I thought I'd see) or a beginner-grade modification that can be easily performed. Probably not going to try this in the near future because these 2500s are quite the task to split. Anywho, wanted to see if there was any ideas out there.

Here's a schematic.

Nevadablue likes this post

Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Veteran Member
prancstaman
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: adding a Limited slip diff to a 2500 peerless... Any ideas?   adding a Limited slip diff to a 2500 peerless... Any ideas? Icon_minitimeJune 19th 2021, 12:05 am

A limited slip diff is basically brakes on the spider gears that don't fully stop the gears from turning. You get alot of drag on the spider gears that don't completely stop turning when working the way they are suppose too. With that said, when the diff part is together in your 2500, there is a certain amount of clearance between the gearing inside the diff. Maybe cram some leather washers in there, or rubber washers, or plastic washers in there. To act like a brake for these gears, to put drag on the spinning of the diff gears without damaging them. I would think this idea would last for a while but would eventually require maintenance on replacing whatever you use for the material.

Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Veteran Member
prancstaman
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: adding a Limited slip diff to a 2500 peerless... Any ideas?   adding a Limited slip diff to a 2500 peerless... Any ideas? Icon_minitimeJuly 14th 2021, 5:14 pm

Here is a topic on a good idea for a selectable locker. It's actually in this same section just down aways on the same page.

https://www.atltf.com/t5264-selectable-locker-idea

Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: adding a Limited slip diff to a 2500 peerless... Any ideas?   adding a Limited slip diff to a 2500 peerless... Any ideas? Icon_minitimeJuly 14th 2021, 5:50 pm

What about a disk brake, on each side, outboard of the transaxle? Is there room to squeeze one in? That is how a lot of old tractors worked, a split brake pedal would allow braking the slipping side.

Here’s a long discussion of how to do it and how it works.

http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/brakes.htm

prancstaman likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: adding a Limited slip diff to a 2500 peerless... Any ideas?   adding a Limited slip diff to a 2500 peerless... Any ideas? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

adding a Limited slip diff to a 2500 peerless... Any ideas?
Page 1 of 1