All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

rust remover alternative - Bar keepers Friend toilet bowl cleaner

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
FatMike
FatMike

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

rust remover alternative  - Bar keepers Friend toilet bowl cleaner Empty
PostSubject: rust remover alternative - Bar keepers Friend toilet bowl cleaner   rust remover alternative  - Bar keepers Friend toilet bowl cleaner Icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2022, 5:19 pm

Found this by accident but it works amazingly.

We have hard well water at our house up north so we bought some of this from menards for $1.99 to clean the rust in the toilet and it just took it right out which got me wondering if it would work on rusty  nuts and bolts, you know the ones commonly found on old tractors.
So I grabbed two red plastic dixi cups one for the bar keepers and one for petroleum naval jelly to do a comparison.

Bar keepers won hands down, after about 30 minutes the hardware it the bar keepers was almost totally rust free and the navel jelly was barely doing anything.

Next came a more serious test:
We have a chevy express eight door van and the rear side doors on both sides had hinges that were so rusted they were beginning to tweak the hinges and I have tried all sorts of penetrants with very limited results.

I mixed some Bar keepers and some marvel mystery oil in an empty 3 in 1 oiler and shook it because those don't actually mix and applied it to the hinges several times as I worked the doors back and forth and it freed up the hinges.

Bar keepers friend toilet bowl cleaner simply eats rust, YES it is caustic so be very mindful of what it touches but it can also be flushed down the toilet after use.

rust remover alternative  - Bar keepers Friend toilet bowl cleaner Toilet10

Bar Keepers Friend toilet bowl cleaner

diddie, Brianator, Nevadablue, crazyhorse, JB_4x4 and Hillbilly mowers like this post

Back to top Go down
diddie
diddie

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: rust remover alternative - Bar keepers Friend toilet bowl cleaner   rust remover alternative  - Bar keepers Friend toilet bowl cleaner Icon_minitimeSeptember 13th 2022, 10:52 pm

@FatMike nice find I'll definitely give this a try !
Back to top Go down
Creepycrawler
Established Member
Creepycrawler
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: rust remover alternative - Bar keepers Friend toilet bowl cleaner   rust remover alternative  - Bar keepers Friend toilet bowl cleaner Icon_minitimeSeptember 14th 2022, 8:06 am

Great find! I have that here at the house but never though to use it on other rust!

Hillbilly mowers likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: rust remover alternative - Bar keepers Friend toilet bowl cleaner   rust remover alternative  - Bar keepers Friend toilet bowl cleaner Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

rust remover alternative - Bar keepers Friend toilet bowl cleaner
Page 1 of 1