All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

What to look for What to build.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
BairleaFarm
BairleaFarm

Build -Off - What to look for What to build. Empty
PostSubject: What to look for What to build.   Build -Off - What to look for What to build. Icon_minitimeOctober 11th 2023, 8:00 am

All of my previous builds have been for LTs and GTs that I work. I want to build one for play.

I want to play in the woods with light to medium trail riding. My current available everyday area has lots of acreage but no trails cut. I might have some overnighters in the rig so a hood rack or rear rack is a must. I'm not interested in hauling a trailer until I get comfortable with my rig.

Mowers go for a premium around here and id almost like to get 2. One for me and one for my son. My experience has been with vintage 5 lug rear horizontal shaft GTs but an willing to venture away from that. I am on a budget like normal with most of my projects so I need to keep that in mind for future upgrades.

I dont plan on abusing the hell out of my rig so I assume a vertical smaller LT would work fine. Id prefer gear drive for this but it seems hydros are the more common thing in my area. Does vertical vrs horizontal or 5 lug rear vrs single mount rear wheel really matter? I can assume ill get addicted to this and have to upgrade in the future. I am prepared to to have 2 or 3 off-road LTs sitting next to my 2 or 3 working GTs.

With this ramble I guess ive come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter what I get ill want to make changes or upgrade as i use it and as my skill level increases with it. I guess my only question is are there any specifics to a LT that I need to stand clear of.

MightyRaze likes this post

Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: What to look for What to build.   Build -Off - What to look for What to build. Icon_minitimeOctober 11th 2023, 9:00 pm

I have both LTs and GTs converted to ATTs and both do really well but the LTs tend to need more reinforcements and thought put into the building process. I prefer horizontal shaft engines as they're less likely to have sticks get up in there but haven't had many issues with my vertical shafted rigs, nothing a belly pan can't take care of.

If you just want to putter around, hit the occasional mudhole or obstacles a hydro will work fine but it's biggest downfall is not being able to overspeed it much for more speed and sticks love to find the fan blades... gear driven is much better!

That Wheelhorse you have on the hook in your other thread is a perfect starting point to be honest and highly desirable in the ATT world for it's simplicity and strength.

The best advice I can give is to start with anything but a panframe (they pretty much require a full reinforcement before you even get going), have some fun and let the addiction grow!

My All Terrain Tractors:
- "The WarHorse" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Romping in Progress!)
- Roper "Trailblazer" ~ 1986 Roper LT110CR (Trailblazing in Progress!)
- The "Mud Duck" ~ 1969 Bolens 1225 Hydro (2022 Build Off 2nd place!)
- The "Silver Bullet" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Part 1)
- The "Silver Bullet" (Take 2) ~ 2024 Build Off entry (Work in progress)
- Roper "Offroadster" ~ 1979 Roper T4328 (Romping in Progress!)
- 1973 Massey Ferguson MF12 ~ (Sold to a good home)

Click Here To See The DIY and Build Threads I've Created!

~My Real Hobby Is Collecting Projects!~

Back to top Go down
BairleaFarm
BairleaFarm

PostSubject: Re: What to look for What to build.   Build -Off - What to look for What to build. Icon_minitimeOctober 12th 2023, 7:41 am

Brianator wrote:

That Wheelhorse you have on the hook in your other thread is a perfect starting point

Im a wheel horse guy and would love to find one but not intrested in driving for hours to get one. This specific wheel horse is a rare GT Only 100 made in 1965 so it wont be mudded.

For some reason ive gotten to have a high volume of Green tractors so I may go with a 200 series Deere.

I think I like horizontal shafts just because its what ive had forever.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What to look for What to build.   Build -Off - What to look for What to build. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What to look for What to build.
Page 1 of 1