All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

warning about out of spec Amazon coils

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
JB_4x4

2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

warning about out of spec Amazon coils Empty
PostSubject: warning about out of spec Amazon coils   warning about out of spec Amazon coils Icon_minitimeJanuary 24th 2024, 4:53 am

warning about out of spec Amazon coils - a picture really is worth 1,000 words sometimes.

Holes are not in the correct spot - ovals are not long enough - see picture - original Kohler vs. this one.

I ordered an OEM Kohler coil instead, from ereplacements for 2x+ $$$, fit perfectly,  problem solved.  The tightest you can get this is .33 mm which is out of spec.  Not that it matters much, but, this coil is 6 grams lighter then stock.

warning about out of spec Amazon coils Z_coil10

MightyRaze and Brianator like this post

Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: warning about out of spec Amazon coils   warning about out of spec Amazon coils Icon_minitimeJanuary 24th 2024, 8:13 pm

I had the same problem with a coil for a Kohler CV16S, 3 possible coil numbers all superseeded into one Chinesium coil number so it's the aftermarket to blame in my opinion! I didn't have that problem with a Briggs Oppy aftermarket coil even though it did look a different.

My All Terrain Tractors:
- "The WarHorse" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Romping in Progress!)
- Roper "Trailblazer" ~ 1986 Roper LT110CR (Trailblazing in Progress!)
- The "Mud Duck" ~ 1969 Bolens 1225 Hydro (2022 Build Off 2nd place!)
- The "Silver Bullet" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Part 1)
- The "Silver Bullet" (Take 2) ~ 2024 Build Off entry (Work in progress)
- Roper "Offroadster" ~ 1979 Roper T4328 (Romping in Progress!)
- 1973 Massey Ferguson MF12 ~ (Sold to a good home)

Click Here To See The DIY and Build Threads I've Created!

~My Real Hobby Is Collecting Projects!~

JB_4x4 likes this post

Back to top Go down
ranch king pro 08
ranch king pro 08

2023 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2023 Build-Off Top 3 Winner

PostSubject: Re: warning about out of spec Amazon coils   warning about out of spec Amazon coils Icon_minitimeJanuary 24th 2024, 9:24 pm

I got Amazon coils for my B&S and they did fine. Must be a Kohler problem scratch

Brianator likes this post

Back to top Go down
muddybasilisk
muddybasilisk

PostSubject: Re: warning about out of spec Amazon coils   warning about out of spec Amazon coils Icon_minitimeJanuary 25th 2024, 8:34 am

Amazon parts are usually good. If they don't work right, then I would just send them back.

Brianator and ranch king pro 08 like this post

Back to top Go down
JB_4x4

2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: warning about out of spec Amazon coils   warning about out of spec Amazon coils Icon_minitimeJanuary 25th 2024, 2:15 pm

Yes, I will be returning it. Though when you factor in the time wasted and more time and money wasted returning it, it would have been better to avoid it altogether. I should have heeded the 1 star reviews, but, I have had good experience with the B&S coils. In the FWIW category, never use the included spark plug, fuel filter, etc. so you can send the package back and you are not locked into the bad choice. Not that I was planning on using them.

$0.02 the clone carb was not much better, I had to hack it by clipping off parts of the lever to get it work too. It hit the air cleaner housing in multiple places and the choke lever.

They probably start with a B&S setup (carb, coil, etc.) and modify what they need to so it is passable, then call it a Kohler replacement.

Brianator and muddybasilisk like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: warning about out of spec Amazon coils   warning about out of spec Amazon coils Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

warning about out of spec Amazon coils
Page 1 of 1