All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

What Pulley ratio should i use for running bigger tires?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
gilsonrumbler
gilsonrumbler

What Pulley ratio should i use for running bigger tires? Empty
PostSubject: What Pulley ratio should i use for running bigger tires?   What Pulley ratio should i use for running bigger tires? Icon_minitimeDecember 1st 2011, 7:51 pm

i recently aquired another gilson.

the rear tires are 26x12.00x12 V treads with lugs about 1/2 in big or more and the front tires are 18x9.50x8, the transaxle is a gear drive peerless 5 spd. what do y'all think the proper gearing would be? this thing sees mud and trails i don't need it fast or anything. it currently has 5 and 5 pulleys and im thinking thats a little bit to fast for transaxle to handle with these massive rear tires
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: proper gearing help?   What Pulley ratio should i use for running bigger tires? Icon_minitimeDecember 1st 2011, 10:17 pm

1:2 or more properly .5 to 1 . bigger on the motor than on the tx. i have seen 5 speeds run 40 with 38" tires, but for a trail runner I wouldnt go more than 25. find out the gear ratio of the tx and run it through a gocart mph calculator. I could give the formula, but it is easier to do the auto calc. you will need tire size and gear ratio. you can change ratio to find the pulley you need for the speed you want. aim for too fast and you will run out of motor, aim too low is better, your tranny will last longer.
Back to top Go down
gilsonrumbler
gilsonrumbler

PostSubject: Re: What Pulley ratio should i use for running bigger tires?   What Pulley ratio should i use for running bigger tires? Icon_minitimeDecember 2nd 2011, 10:38 am

it seems like a 1 inch pulley would slip ALOT and i never heard of gear ratios like that would 5 and 5 be too fast or kill the transaxle?

on a size note the garage in your avatar looks familar are you the owner of a big jacked up gilson rolling V treads or am i thinking of someone else?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: proper gearing help?   What Pulley ratio should i use for running bigger tires? Icon_minitimeDecember 2nd 2011, 11:45 am

thats prbly me. The black '78 with a stack? I also have 2 pullers, red '74 and a silver'72

gear ratios are reduced to x to 1 so your 5 to 5 would be a 1:1, 10 to 5 would be a 2:1
Back to top Go down
gilsonrumbler
gilsonrumbler

PostSubject: Re: What Pulley ratio should i use for running bigger tires?   What Pulley ratio should i use for running bigger tires? Icon_minitimeDecember 2nd 2011, 11:55 am

yea it had a stack on it and a flapper i think... mind posting pics up since i have the same gilson?

also im confusing myself can you list a few pulley ratios instead of gear ratios? ha....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: proper gearing help?   What Pulley ratio should i use for running bigger tires? Icon_minitimeDecember 2nd 2011, 1:42 pm

gear ratios and pulley ratios work the same. to find gear ratio on your transaxle, put it in high gear and rotate the input pulley until the axle makes 1 full revolution. the number of pulley turn is the first number. most are 6:1 to 10:1

What Pulley ratio should i use for running bigger tires? Photo_100710_002
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: proper gearing help?   What Pulley ratio should i use for running bigger tires? Icon_minitimeDecember 2nd 2011, 1:50 pm

here is a quick video of it in the mud pit

http://illiweb.com/fa/pbucket.gif4
Back to top Go down
gilsonrumbler
gilsonrumbler

PostSubject: Re: What Pulley ratio should i use for running bigger tires?   What Pulley ratio should i use for running bigger tires? Icon_minitimeDecember 2nd 2011, 5:37 pm

that thing looks awesome mines actually similar only its an 80s and no lift. what pulleys are you running on that gilson? thats exactly want mine to work.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: proper gearing help?   What Pulley ratio should i use for running bigger tires? Icon_minitimeDecember 2nd 2011, 10:35 pm

I think I used a 7 on the front and a 4 on the back. had to change out the motor to a 17 hp kohler single to get the big pulley on the front. I had to move the motor back about 3 inches. it was super slow stock, barely 5mph
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Pulley ratio should i use for running bigger tires?   What Pulley ratio should i use for running bigger tires? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What Pulley ratio should i use for running bigger tires?
Page 1 of 1