All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Ugly Step Sister Build

Go down 
+3
ferg
AcreFarm
dagr8tim
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
gearheadmike

Ugly Step Sister Build - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ugly Step Sister Build   Ugly Step Sister Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 5th 2012, 6:49 pm

what i do on switches is un plug them cut the end off and wire nut the two wires together.
Back to top Go down
dagr8tim
dagr8tim

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Step Sister Build   Ugly Step Sister Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 5th 2012, 7:08 pm

gearheadmike wrote:
what i do on switches is un plug them cut the end off and wire nut the two wires together.

The blade engagement switch has 4 wires. Two white & two black. Maybe somebody is familiar with them before I have to take the switch apart to see if it's open or closed when the button is depressed.
Back to top Go down
http://buckeyejeeps.com
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Step Sister Build   Ugly Step Sister Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 5th 2012, 7:12 pm

i think the 2 white hook together same for the black not sure tho mine where only 2 wire ones
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Step Sister Build   Ugly Step Sister Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 10th 2012, 7:21 pm

I just rewire my tractors- usually the safety switches run a yellow wire setup - sometimes i just run a new mag kill lead wire to a dash switch, just bypass the whole thing.
Back to top Go down
dagr8tim
dagr8tim

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Step Sister Build   Ugly Step Sister Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 10th 2012, 8:50 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
I just rewire my tractors- usually the safety switches run a yellow wire setup - sometimes i just run a new mag kill lead wire to a dash switch, just bypass the whole thing.

Eventually, I'm going to rewire like fearless front did in his one video.
Back to top Go down
dagr8tim
dagr8tim

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Step Sister Build   Ugly Step Sister Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2012, 7:36 pm

Got my break lever in the mail (last piece I needed). Hopefully if it's kinda warm and dry this weekend, I can get it put together and do some romping.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Step Sister Build   Ugly Step Sister Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2012, 6:27 am

Its ironic i mentioned something about tractors- just picked up two from a freind of my nephews - included in the deal was 2 sets of ATV wheels ( with rims) , and a pair of steel atv rims - 2 wheels have aluminum rims, unfortunately those are trashed beyond fixing - but the tires are in great shape. the tractors are a 98 poulan and a 90's murray- the poulan has no hood or deck, but has a running motor and is mostly complete otherwise- the murray is engineless, but has a pretty stout looking trans and larger rear wheels, along with beefy front axle/steering. All that was $100, bit more then i wanted to spend, but worth it.

Back to top Go down
dagr8tim
dagr8tim

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Step Sister Build   Ugly Step Sister Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 18th 2012, 5:52 pm

I finally got the brakes together only to discover that the one pin is seized. I made a half assed attempt to drive it out when I started, so it's my own fault. Other than that, I just need to adjust the nuts on the brake rod and I will have this thing ready.

I'm starting to think about hoods, and considering putting the old on a diet and reusing it. I want to use some expanded metal like fearless front used on his racing tractor to build a new grill.
Back to top Go down
dagr8tim
dagr8tim

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Step Sister Build   Ugly Step Sister Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2012, 6:12 pm

Got to ride it for the first time today. The Jeep needed a jump, so I went out and got a jump box. After I started the Jeep, I fired up the tractor and took it for a ride around the yard. That first ride was sweet. Now I can start modding it being as the repair/rebuild phase is done.
Back to top Go down
dagr8tim
dagr8tim

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Step Sister Build   Ugly Step Sister Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 1st 2012, 7:01 pm

Got to drive it today. Turns out what I thought was an over tight break lever turned out to be a missing axle key. Once it was replaced, it ran great. I still need to get the brakes reinstalled then start modding. I've got some extra pulley's from a Craftsman RER I parted. I want to see if I can swap the transaxle pulley's.
Back to top Go down
dagr8tim
dagr8tim

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Step Sister Build   Ugly Step Sister Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 2nd 2012, 4:34 pm

I got my first fully functional ride today. I got the PTO safety switch bypassed and cleaned up the wiring, had to replace the entire length of fuel line & a new filter, adjusted the brakes (who knew lawn tractors could actually lock the tires on gravel), started modifying a set of front deck hanger brackets to use as new hood brackets, and I discovered the gas pedal from my parts Jeep may just work as a gas pedal on the tractor.

I did a full throttle launch in high gear and got alittle burnout on gravel. I did discover that top speed wasn't stellar in high gear. I'll have to monkey with the pulley's soon. I'm pretty sure that the pulley from the Craftsman RER that I parted will fit perfectly and be about 2 inches smaller in diameter.

Now that it's fully functional for the first time in 6 months, I can start modding it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Step Sister Build   Ugly Step Sister Build - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ugly Step Sister Build
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2