All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Drive shaft idea's

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
blanket80
blanket80

Drive shaft idea's Empty
PostSubject: Drive shaft idea's   Drive shaft idea's Icon_minitimeJanuary 29th 2012, 1:53 am

I had an idea that came to my mind, that would eliminate belt slippage. My thought was, put a horizontal shaft engine in a tractor. Then take a trans axle and turn it so that the input shaft was facing the engine shaft. ( engine l--- --l transaxle). Then make a drive shaft to connect them. A plus with this set up is it would be a 1-1 ratio. Because the trans would spin just as fast as the engine. The only big problem is making a clutch.. What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

Drive shaft idea's Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive shaft idea's   Drive shaft idea's Icon_minitimeJanuary 29th 2012, 10:02 pm

You could do that but why not just use a shaft driven lawn tractor like some cub cadets?
Back to top Go down
http://www.stat10.tk/
blanket80
blanket80

Drive shaft idea's Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive shaft idea's   Drive shaft idea's Icon_minitimeJanuary 30th 2012, 3:14 pm

I dont like beating good cub cadets, they are worth money, and starting to get rare. I want one to pull with though.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

Drive shaft idea's Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive shaft idea's   Drive shaft idea's Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2012, 5:58 am

Best way to do that would be to use a RAGB - run the driveshaft to the RAGB - then to the transmission - youd need some sort of clutch because w/o one it would constantly be engaged . Then a 'normal' top input type trans can be used. A drawback would be ujoint failure unless constantly serviced.

Cubs have thier clutch mounted to the motor then to the driveshaft - from what i take theyre pretty complicated to set up correctly.

In all my years of going thru a swamp- super thick mud and water ( up to the floorbords) - i never had any belt slippage, same belt that came on the tractor when i bot it - slippage is caused by the belt wearing too rapidly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Drive shaft idea's Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive shaft idea's   Drive shaft idea's Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Drive shaft idea's
Page 1 of 1