All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Would a atv transmission fit onto a lawn tractor?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
canadianromper
canadianromper

Would a atv transmission fit onto a lawn tractor? Empty
PostSubject: Would a atv transmission fit onto a lawn tractor?   Would a atv transmission fit onto a lawn tractor? Icon_minitimeFebruary 11th 2012, 7:22 pm

im not really sure about this.would a atv tranny fit into a lawn tractor so then i dont have to end up breaking my tranny.pls let me know if it would work or not.
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: Would a atv transmission fit onto a lawn tractor?   Would a atv transmission fit onto a lawn tractor? Icon_minitimeFebruary 11th 2012, 7:53 pm

atv tranny or rear end? and what type of rear end chain or shaft?
Back to top Go down
canadianromper
canadianromper

PostSubject: Re: Would a atv transmission fit onto a lawn tractor?   Would a atv transmission fit onto a lawn tractor? Icon_minitimeFebruary 11th 2012, 7:54 pm

wel i dont really know but i am really thinking about it. i have to get one first lol.
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: Would a atv transmission fit onto a lawn tractor?   Would a atv transmission fit onto a lawn tractor? Icon_minitimeFebruary 11th 2012, 8:10 pm

so your talking about a atv rearend then
Back to top Go down
canadianromper
canadianromper

PostSubject: Re: Would a atv transmission fit onto a lawn tractor?   Would a atv transmission fit onto a lawn tractor? Icon_minitimeFebruary 11th 2012, 8:11 pm

yeah
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: Would a atv transmission fit onto a lawn tractor?   Would a atv transmission fit onto a lawn tractor? Icon_minitimeFebruary 11th 2012, 8:22 pm

chain you would have to run a side shaft engine and clutch same with shaft drive unless you can mount it facing up and weld/bolt a pulley to the yoke of rearend and run the regular clutch set up only thing is it will be 1 speed
Back to top Go down
arild365
arild365

PostSubject: Re: Would a atv transmission fit onto a lawn tractor?   Would a atv transmission fit onto a lawn tractor? Icon_minitimeFebruary 11th 2012, 8:25 pm

well if you wanted to use an atv trans youd have to use the whole atv motor cause the trans is built into the motor. If you just use the rear axle youd still either have to use a trans from a mower or put a completely different motor and use a centrifugal clutch, trust me ive thought bout this stuff alot lol
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/arild365
canadianromper
canadianromper

PostSubject: Re: Would a atv transmission fit onto a lawn tractor?   Would a atv transmission fit onto a lawn tractor? Icon_minitimeFebruary 11th 2012, 8:26 pm

lol im still thinking about it
Back to top Go down
muddstir
muddstir

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Would a atv transmission fit onto a lawn tractor?   Would a atv transmission fit onto a lawn tractor? Icon_minitimeFebruary 11th 2012, 8:33 pm

Most atv tranny's and clutches are built into their motor cases so will have to put the complete motor in to work. The newer big cc 4x4 ones have diff's (that are very strong) front and rear that are shaft driven so if you were to use these then you would need to convert to a shaft setup. Then you would have to still mount a belt clutch like an automatic atv-snowmobile-some go carts have. So 2 things could happen 1-MOST IMPORTANT when the motor is rotating on start up the clutch would act as a break off point so the rotation don't make it to the tires.(short and sweet- if motor is spinning then tires are spinning). 2- NOT REALLY IMPORTANT you can get a wider range of speed out of it ( the primary clutch expands inside of it while rpm is increasing there for higher the rpm the more of the belt is moving the faster you'll go(short and sweet- you get speed from two factors 1- rpm 2- amount of belt rotation increases instead of just rpm.)

(IF YOUR USING THE ATV DIFF'S)
Instead of a atv belt clutch set up you could rig up one like some of the tractors have were it takes tension off of the belt so the pulleys can't grip it right before the switch over for shaft set up, but you'll be losing out on wider range of speed.

There many ways that could and could not work but these seen the simplest to me
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Would a atv transmission fit onto a lawn tractor?   Would a atv transmission fit onto a lawn tractor? Icon_minitimeFebruary 13th 2012, 6:53 pm

I beat my stock agway for like 5 years pounding thru mud and water - used my 94 murray as a speed mod for a couple years, spun it up past 30mph a few times - never broke a tranny in either - i did break one in my craftsman tho- i never checked the 20 year old oil/grease in it . Id say as long as you check and change the oil/grease in the trans , it should hold up.

I ran plain gear oil in the agway, i used lucas oil additive in the murray ( its thick, it sticks to everything) - i drained the old oil out and just dumped in the lucas oil.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Would a atv transmission fit onto a lawn tractor?   Would a atv transmission fit onto a lawn tractor? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Would a atv transmission fit onto a lawn tractor?
Page 1 of 1