All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

B&S oil fill

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
kazjanne

B&S oil fill  Empty
PostSubject: B&S oil fill    B&S oil fill  Icon_minitimeJuly 25th 2012, 5:05 pm

i've got an lawn mower with an briggs, only the last few times the motor started doing weird.
if i remove the oil pen while it's running oil will plump out of the thing, it didn't do that before, or at least i didn't notice.
but the oil level is good. the oil isn't the newest but it should work. i've got no idea , it started like at once.
so if anyone ever experienced something like this, please respond.
kaz
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

B&S oil fill  Empty
PostSubject: Re: B&S oil fill    B&S oil fill  Icon_minitimeJuly 26th 2012, 6:42 am

Actually you shouldnt remove the dipstick while its running - besides burning you with hot oil , it can easily loose most the capacity.

Only reason the oil level went up is because gas is leaking into the crankcase - which means time for a carb cleaning/rebuilding - oil capacity for single cylender is around a quart and quarter or so.

Smell the oil - if it reeks of gas - change it - if its left in there youll blow up the motor , gas will thin the oil and eventually gall the berings, ruining the motor.

Another reason oil could push out is built up crankcase pressure- meaning the breather is plugged.
Back to top Go down

B&S oil fill
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: Technical Forum :: Engine Tech :: Briggs and Stratton-
Jump to: