All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors Empty
PostSubject: Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors   Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors Icon_minitimeMarch 16th 2021, 1:31 pm

So, a relative recently gave me 6 (yes that's correct) push mowers. Apparently what happened is they bought a new MTD/AYP cheapy push mower annually and put the old one in the barn. Nothing fancy, just Yard Machines/Weed Eater/Poulan etc. So I think selling 5 push mowers might make some coin for White Lightning and maybe a future project, who knows. (And I need a welder and shop in the worst way, so probably something like that too. Problem is though, they are 2 1/2 hours away, so I can't pick them up any time soon. Only got a couple pictures which were kinda quick but I thought I'd show y'all. But, we should get started sometime within the next couple months so I thought I'd start a thread and we'll bring it back when I pick em up. I have my pictures on another device so in a couple hours they should be added in to this post. Thanks for reading this! Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors 2731072446
Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors B5612f10
Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors 7e318f10
Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors 1e409f10

Last edited by Rustbucket Garage on May 27th 2022, 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BlakeGroce
BlakeGroce

PostSubject: Re: Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors   Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors Icon_minitimeMarch 18th 2021, 6:01 pm

Heck yeah! People will be looking for push mowers here shortly.

Rustbucket Garage likes this post

Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors   Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors Icon_minitimeSeptember 26th 2021, 5:28 pm

Well it’s update time! I got the weed eater in the last picture and now it runs. Not well, but it runs. Apparently what happened is the flywheel screen (which was steel by the way) exploded or something, creamed the air vane governor (plastic) and chipped the flywheel (blades? louvers? Anybody here know the term?) and now this thing runs wide open, bogs down easy and shakes like a Floridian in the snow. Worse yet, I’m pretty sure the rings are bad. But I wanted something to trim up spots that the mowing tractor can’t get to so this will suffice.

Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors 7de1ea10
Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors Edcd3610

Hmm…pretty sure somethings missing lol.
Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors   Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors Icon_minitimeOctober 26th 2021, 9:58 pm

End of this thread for a while. I'll get another next spring but this thing is deader 'en a possum on the side of the freeway. Pile 'o parts. Going to use the deck for another, albeit non-mower related project though. More to come on that later. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors   Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors Icon_minitimeOctober 28th 2021, 7:02 pm

Need a compost shredder? I saw post somewhere where a fella turned one into a shredder and apparently it works pretty well!

My All Terrain Tractors:
- "The WarHorse" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Romping in Progress!)
- Roper "Trailblazer" ~ 1986 Roper LT110CR (Trailblazing in Progress!)
- The "Mud Duck" ~ 1969 Bolens 1225 Hydro (2022 Build Off 2nd place!)
- The "Silver Bullet" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Part 1)
- The "Silver Bullet" (Take 2) ~ 2024 Build Off entry (Work in progress)
- Roper "Offroadster" ~ 1979 Roper T4328 (Romping in Progress!)
- 1973 Massey Ferguson MF12 ~ (Sold to a good home)

Click Here To See The DIY and Build Threads I've Created!

~My Real Hobby Is Collecting Projects!~
Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors   Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors Icon_minitimeOctober 29th 2021, 11:45 am

Hhhmmmm... that might be good on my leaves. I'll keep that in mind.
Back to top Go down
TourMax

PostSubject: Re: Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors   Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors Icon_minitimeOctober 30th 2021, 7:34 pm

Rustbucket Garage wrote:

I wouldn’t risk “converting” a push mower to a chipper shredder when you can buy a used chipper (made for the purpose) for anywhere from 50-200 bucks.

I bought a chipper shredder a couple years ago for 125 bucks. Brought it home, cleaned the carb, sharpened the chisels and it absolutely destroys anything dropped in it. And no worries about spinning blades in a bodged up housing.

Last thing you want is a homemade jobbie flying apart while feeding it some twigs.

Just my .02

Rustbucket Garage likes this post

Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors   Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors Icon_minitimeOctober 30th 2021, 7:43 pm

TourMax wrote:
Rustbucket Garage wrote:

I wouldn’t risk “converting” a push mower to a chipper shredder when you can buy a used chipper (made for the purpose) for anywhere from 50-200 bucks.

I bought a chipper shredder a couple years ago for 125 bucks. Brought it home, cleaned the carb, sharpened the chisels and it absolutely destroys anything dropped in it. And no worries about spinning blades in a bodged up housing.

Last thing you want is a homemade jobbie flying apart while feeding it some twigs.

Just my .02

True. I’ve cut up my fingers (and consequently wound up in the ER) so many times to the point where I probably shouldn’t be trusted with sharp things so yeah… I might be the next one armed wonder if I build something. lol! lol! lol!

Safety is my number one priority! After I get through with my other priorities… Laughing

In all seriousness I will probably just wind up using the thing the way I did the last one… trimming between trees and stuff.
Thank you for the insight. I will keep my eye on marketplace. Smile
Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors   Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors Icon_minitimeOctober 30th 2021, 8:16 pm

I'm not willing to risk my safety either, the guy that built THIS one did a pretty darn good job! I have a old mower I'm planning on doing it with but in my plan I'll put a removable plate on the bottom, use a mulching blade and make the hopper feeder/flap thingy manual.

My All Terrain Tractors:
- "The WarHorse" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Romping in Progress!)

Back to top Go down
TourMax

PostSubject: Re: Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors   Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors Icon_minitimeOctober 30th 2021, 9:19 pm

Brianator wrote:
I'm not willing to risk my safety either, the guy that built THIS one did a pretty darn good job! I have a old mower I'm planning on doing it with but in my plan I'll put a removable plate on the bottom, use a mulching blade and make the hopper feeder/flap thingy manual.

E-yipes!

I’m not trying to be condescending, but if you do build that, I’d advise not putting anything through it heavier than grass clippings or leaves. The guy writing the article talks about it as a compost shredder, he only posts “chipper shredder” in the title. Compost is very different than sticks and/or branches.

His “design” is actually pretty poor. There isn’t even a “kickback stop” in the feed chute. Without a mechanism to prevent kickback of material, you run the risk of turning a stick or twig into a projectile. I’ve seen the kickback flap on my chipper’s chute catch more than one stick that tried to make a break for it. You can tell from the force of the impact on the steel trap that it would go right through you and keep on going. Scary stuff…

Sticks or bigger will probably cause most of it to fly apart or, more likely, chuck a rod through the block. One look at the “blade” in an actual chipper shredder and you’ll see why a lawn mower blade can’t hold a candle to it. Its a big heavy flywheel with chisel heads in it and metal flails on its edge to pulverize what the chisel/blades have already chopped up.

Push mowers are meant to basically spin with no resistance. Think of what happens to one if you’re moving the grass and hit a rock or thick root.

But, your call. Build it if you want. Just be good and clear from it when its sucking in material.. .
Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors   Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors Icon_minitimeOctober 30th 2021, 11:13 pm

Please refer to my original post:

Brianator wrote:
Need a compost shredder? I saw post somewhere where a fella turned one into a shredder and apparently it works pretty well!

Please note I said "compost" and never said chipper nor would I use it as one, not only would that be ridiculously dangerous but it wouldn't work. I do however like the idea of shredding leaves.

Wouldn't be hard to add a "kickback chute" out of welded wire to be safe, that's the beauty of invention! If I ever do get around to it I'll post it in action, I have far bigger fish to fry for the time being.

My All Terrain Tractors:

Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors   Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors Icon_minitimeOctober 31st 2021, 9:28 am

Sticks as projectiles are pretty Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors 252588580 dangerous. Eons ago when I was in elementary school I threw a stick at a tree to try and break it, but it came back and hit me in the left eye. (Had it been thrown from a yard implement I’m sure my eye would have been a pulp.) My vision was permanently damaged after that to the extent I needed vision therapy for a good while after. After a great deal of thought, I think I won’t be doing any diy shredder project. I appreciate the suggestion, and I always like hearing and reading about fabrication projects but I really can’t gamble on another eye injury. Again, all the ideas and insight is appreciated greatly, and I thank you all for stopping by and reading. Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors 2731072446

Brianator likes this post

Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors   Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors Icon_minitimeFebruary 4th 2022, 9:04 pm

A new project begins. Two actually. Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors D10fff10

More info coming soon! (cackles mischievously as a mad scientist lol)

MightyRaze likes this post

Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors   Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors Icon_minitimeFebruary 10th 2022, 2:47 pm

Welcome back to really blind rusty’s body shop! Yesterday’s victim was this repurposed gizmo.Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors A505a910

So what sort of maniacal stuff am I up to anyway?

Well about a year ago I found this picture. Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors 2fd82b10
Where? I don’t remember. At first I thought “pfft. That’s just nuts.” But I thought some more and it’s actually decent enough of an idea. For those of you that don’t know what this is, this is a clay pigeon thrower for trap shooting, which I do a lot of, as does my father. So I had this deck that was never going to mow again because of several cracks. So I built the top plate and the idea is to bolt the thrower he has to it as a Father’s Day gift. I’m building storage for some clays and it’s easier to move around since it’s wheeled, and it can fold down nicely.

Now the other project is another spare parts thing. I took the bad engine parts (flywheel, piston, and head, which was fine but I’m 99% sure that I won’t need it for anything else) and I’m building a lamp. My uncle owns a marina and he did the same with some parts left over from some long gone outboard and I thought it was super cool. So the idea is to do something dirt cheap for both of these just as a winter project. I’ll be temporarily jacking the thread to discuss these (normal flipping talk will pick back up this spring and I may divert into another thread for these at that time)
Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors   Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors Icon_minitimeMay 27th 2022, 8:58 pm

*Ack* *Cough* *Clears throat* Sorry, allergic to the cobwebs in this thread. Anyway, if y’all remember the briggs in that weed-eater (hey it’s legal in NY now lol! lol! lol!)

Well I got bored so evidently in addition to my other projects it’s also getting rebuilt cause reasons. Here it is now. Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors 8c54fc10
Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors F6fedd10
Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors 66241610

Brianator likes this post

Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors   Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors Icon_minitimeMay 30th 2022, 9:49 pm

Happy memorial day! Thank you out there to all who served and fought for freedom, most of all to those who paid the ultimate price.

In regards to this thread, some of you may noticed the title has changed. This is to accomodate the other goodies I'll be puttering with here, and pretty much everything will be staying in my possession.

Today I was gifted an ol model 048 AV stihl from my grandfather which was super nice of him!
I don't know yet if it runs, but it needs to probably have a new coil put in, a new plug, clean the carb, and I need to look at the chain brake. It should be a good saw, pretty much the entire thing is cast aluminum and he used it for many many years in his buisness tapping trees. It turns over and has compression so it should come back to life no problem! I'm looking forward to reviving it and putting it to use, it should last me a long time.

The briggs I talked about in my last post here may be getting made into an outboard, but I'm not sure. I'm considering using a weedeater gearbox and shaft and I can probably redneck something together. If it's not terribly heavy at the end I may try and mount it on my kayak just for the heck of it.  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil

TechnoChicken likes this post

Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors   Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors Icon_minitimeSeptember 4th 2022, 10:34 pm

Got another push mower in yesterday and got it running today. Just needed some rust primer on the deck to protect it, an air filter (need to order still), fuel line, fuel filter, spark plug, and a governor adjustment. Runs great now and I have less than $20 invested once everything is done. It’s dated December 1st of 2000. Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors 457d8a10
Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors   Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors Icon_minitimeMay 27th 2023, 6:08 pm

Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors Img_0912
Got this generator at an auction today for 25 bucks. Runs like a top! Going to put a couple new seals in, check the voltage, quick tune up and put it up for sale, probably ask 250 for it.

MightyRaze likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors   Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Random Projects that aren’t garden tractors
Page 1 of 1