All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

How important is KPI on an off road mower?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
swbeebe

mower - How important is KPI on an off road mower? Empty
PostSubject: How important is KPI on an off road mower?   mower - How important is KPI on an off road mower? Icon_minitimeThu 06 Dec 2012, 2:38 pm

Just like the subject says, how important is KPI on an off road mower? I was going to make my own spindles, and was thinking if the rear is locked, then I would need all the help I could get in the steering department... However building them without the 10° KPI would be easier...
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: How important is KPI on an off road mower?   mower - How important is KPI on an off road mower? Icon_minitimeThu 06 Dec 2012, 3:21 pm

I am assuming the angle you are referring to is also called the "caster".

If that is the case, then the biggest difference you will notice in having this set correctly is high speed (+25 MPH) on a flat surface, like asphalt. If you are just doing low speed offroading/mudding it won't likely be much of an issue.

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
swbeebe

PostSubject: Re: How important is KPI on an off road mower?   mower - How important is KPI on an off road mower? Icon_minitimeThu 06 Dec 2012, 3:40 pm

The KPI or king pin inclination is different then caster. The KPI is the amount of degrees the king pin is tilted towards the inside of the axle and caster would be the king pin pointing front or back.

http://www.mech.uq.edu.au/courses/mech3100-old/steering/kingpin.gif

This might help explain it. typically you would have about 10° of caster and 10° of kpi. The spindle shaft would then be welded in a 10° offset to keep the spindle shaft parellel with the axle. It helps to shift the weight in a corner. And being that I am going to lock the rear diff I want it to steer without too much understeer... Was just not sure how much of a difference it would make.
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: How important is KPI on an off road mower?   mower - How important is KPI on an off road mower? Icon_minitimeFri 07 Dec 2012, 7:54 am

Cool... thanks for the info. We set ours up with 10 degrees caster and no camber or noticeable toe at all. They steer fine at speed while offroad so IMO you could get away without it.

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
swbeebe

PostSubject: Re: How important is KPI on an off road mower?   mower - How important is KPI on an off road mower? Icon_minitimeFri 07 Dec 2012, 8:41 am

Another main reason is I see KPI already built into a lot of stock axles. So I did not know what effect it would have in not having any. This 70's Ford tractor I'm working on had about 10° KPI, but no caster. Most MTD mowers from the later 90's have both.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How important is KPI on an off road mower?   mower - How important is KPI on an off road mower? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How important is KPI on an off road mower?
Page 1 of 1