All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Murray Off-Road Mower Build

Go down 
+4
Chopperhed
Doug
TheRainbowBoxer
mainemudder
8 posters
AuthorMessage
mainemudder
mainemudder

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

mower - Murray Off-Road Mower Build Empty
PostSubject: Murray Off-Road Mower Build   mower - Murray Off-Road Mower Build Icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2013, 9:02 pm

Well, I thought I would let you guys sorta take this journey with me giving me ideas and advice along the way. I am starting my off-road mower build. This started off as a racing mower, but I've decided to make it slower (still faster than stock - 1:1 ratio), cooler looking, and tougher by locking the transaxle, painting it and doing various other mods. My goal is to have basically a lawn tractor that will do as well as a RWD 4 wheeler, but won't be as fast.

Things I Plan To Do:
-transaxle lock
-repaint (probably black with racing stripes - white, red, yellow...ideas?)
-rewire (already in process as of tonight)
-bigger and better front rims and tires
-better tread for rear tires (aggressive)
-lighting upgrades
-gas pedal
-new gear ratio (1:1 - running 8" to 8" w/ 5/8" v-belt - lots of surface area and torque for when the belt gets wet and for towing)

ANYONE ELSE HAVE IDEAS? THROW 'EM OUT THERE!

Pictures of what it looks like as of now (prior to starting the rewire tonight):

mower - Murray Off-Road Mower Build IMG_0205

yes it is a rebuilt engine
mower - Murray Off-Road Mower Build IMG_0206

mower - Murray Off-Road Mower Build IMG_0207

mower - Murray Off-Road Mower Build IMG_0208

mower - Murray Off-Road Mower Build IMG_0209

I also do YouTube videos. I am doing an "Update Series" on my off-road mower and will keep people informed that way as well as on here. Any comments, extra views, ratings and subscribers are VERY welcome! Below is all I have for an update so far. I am editing update #2 as we speak. So that will be up tonight.

Update #1:
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Murray Off-Road Mower Build   mower - Murray Off-Road Mower Build Icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2013, 10:52 pm

Suggestions

1. If you haven't already, maybe replace the bushings in the front rims with bearings.
2. Add grease zerks for any moving part lacking them.
3. Separate brake and clutch into separate pedals will prolong brake pad life.

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
mainemudder
mainemudder

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Murray Off-Road Mower Build   mower - Murray Off-Road Mower Build Icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2013, 11:04 pm

Your suggestions 1 & 3 I had already thought of, but forgot to put them in my list. Thanks man!
Back to top Go down
mainemudder
mainemudder

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Murray Off-Road Mower Build   mower - Murray Off-Road Mower Build Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2013, 6:32 am

Here's the newest update video. Tear down has begun!

Back to top Go down
mainemudder
mainemudder

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Murray Off-Road Mower Build   mower - Murray Off-Road Mower Build Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2013, 9:59 pm

Well I have it completely (almost) torn down. This is as bare bones as it'll get I think. I've decided that instead of repainting it, I will keep the original Murray red (which only looks bad cause this thing is just SO dirty, and then put racing stripes or something on it. Make it look cooler and won't be as time consuming. What this really needs is a good pressure washing, but this is January in Maine, so I'm not sure how I'm going to really clean this thing yet. Ideas?

Here's some pics from tonight:

mower - Murray Off-Road Mower Build IMG_0210

mower - Murray Off-Road Mower Build IMG_0211

mower - Murray Off-Road Mower Build IMG_0212

mower - Murray Off-Road Mower Build IMG_0213

Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Murray Off-Road Mower Build   mower - Murray Off-Road Mower Build Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2013, 10:15 pm

Buy a can of Brakleen or two and some shop towels and wipe it all down. Thats all I can think of unless you really wanna break out the soapy water.

Whatcha gonna do for the deck engage lever? think it would make a badass parking brake handle if you could hook it up right.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Murray Off-Road Mower Build   mower - Murray Off-Road Mower Build Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2013, 10:54 pm

A good set of scrub brushes and some warm soapy water is the cheapest safest way to clean it. Pick up a cheap kids wading pool for the big stuff.

Dish soap has serious grease cutters in it, and a good water rinse will strip the soap residue. A simple isopropyl wipe will clean the rest of the water residue off. All you need is a place to work thats above freezing.

despite the CFC bans aerosol cleaners are still seriously hazardous. The way I see it. If I can use it to test start an engine, I don't want to breathe it..

As far as the new CFC free, Enviro freindly cleaners are concerned, they still aren't good for you.

Even the citrus based stuff is very harsh on skin, and vapors can hurt lungs.

sorry for the rant.

Last edited by Chopperhed on January 8th 2013, 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
mainemudder
mainemudder

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Murray Off-Road Mower Build   mower - Murray Off-Road Mower Build Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2013, 10:55 pm

Yes, I thought it would make a great parking brake handle as well, but I already have it hooked up as my shift linkage since I will be cutting out the panel where the shifter was previously (between the seat and dash) and making a compartment to store tools and such for quick fixes on the go. I will probably do both the brakleen and then do soapy water to wash off any left over residue from the brakleen. Thanks for the advice! And other tips for hooking up a separate parking brake? I thought maybe another hand activated lever. Not sure yet.
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Murray Off-Road Mower Build   mower - Murray Off-Road Mower Build Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2013, 10:58 pm

theres a reason that warm soapy water has been the recommended media for cleaning engines for as long as I can remeber.

Even in aircraft shops.

Everything must be dried thouroghly afterwards and treated for corrosion.
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
mainemudder
mainemudder

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Murray Off-Road Mower Build   mower - Murray Off-Road Mower Build Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2013, 11:01 pm

Chopperhed wrote:
A good set of scrub brushes and some warm soapy water is the cheapest safest way to clean it. Pick up a cheap kids wading pool for the big stuff.

Dish soap has serious grease cutters in it, and a good water rinse will strip the soap residue. A simple isopropyl wipe will clean the rest of the water residue off. All you need is a place to work thats above freezing.

despite the CFC bans aerosol cleaners are still seriously hazardous. The way I see it. If I can use it to test start an engine, I don't want to breathe it..

As far as the new CFC free, Enviro freindly cleaners are concerned, they still aren't good for you.

Even the citrus based stuff is very harsh on skin, and vapors can hurt lungs.

sorry for the rant.

Thanks for the advice man! I agree with you partly. I have no problem with using aerosol cleaners in a well ventilated area (like outside in my driveway in the summer - I use engine degreaser or Purple Power for cleaning my mowers that I sell) but in the winter working out of my basement workshop like I am right now, I'll stick to the dish soap I think. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Murray Off-Road Mower Build   mower - Murray Off-Road Mower Build Icon_minitimeJanuary 9th 2013, 7:51 am

You can't go wrong with that frame. We had one for years, and it was jumped, crashed, and flipped many times. Frame never cracked or bent. Front axle mounting was weak, pivot would wear out, and bracket holding the front axle in would bend or loosen. Tie rod ends are junk from the factory, need 1/2 rods and heim joints if it's going to put up with a lot of abuse. I don't remember why, but we junked the factory steering box, and went to direct steer setup. That didn't work, too touchy, so we welded in a craftsman steering box. The upper plastic mount for the steering wheel can break also.
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Murray Off-Road Mower Build   mower - Murray Off-Road Mower Build Icon_minitimeJanuary 9th 2013, 10:28 am

The paint on those mowers is practically indestructible... you can about use a wire wheel to polish it. I think if it was left outside for decades the metal would rust out from under the paint.

Chaos Build

Haspin 2021 thread

Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Murray Off-Road Mower Build   mower - Murray Off-Road Mower Build Icon_minitimeJanuary 9th 2013, 4:24 pm

I have a pic of an '85 LT12 steering 'box' - i swapped the crappy plastic laden one from my '99 weedeater ( craftsman also) for the '85 ( out of a parts craftsman) - works excellent.
mower - Murray Off-Road Mower Build File0413

On my weedeater it was basically a bolt on mod, had to use stock steering link to the front spindle and tweek the piece where the steering wheel bolts to.

My steering shaft locator on the dash broke ( plastic), i found a fix from my old 70 toro's spare parts - the steering shaft mount - two bolts and its all metal.
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Murray Off-Road Mower Build   mower - Murray Off-Road Mower Build Icon_minitimeJanuary 9th 2013, 4:25 pm

Those are the same steering boxes we use (with some mild mods to tighten them up), and they work really good.

Chaos Build

Haspin 2021 thread

Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Murray Off-Road Mower Build   mower - Murray Off-Road Mower Build Icon_minitimeJanuary 9th 2013, 5:26 pm

Ive been told the weedeater tractors were built 'cheeper' - why it has alot of plastic - it had this plastic T where the metal is under the end of the steering shaft - i fixed it once with copper bushings ( lasted a few years) - started acting up end of last year, so i swapped it out completely.

Have to love parts tractors.

Back to top Go down
mainemudder
mainemudder

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Murray Off-Road Mower Build   mower - Murray Off-Road Mower Build Icon_minitimeJanuary 9th 2013, 5:31 pm

Yeah I'm going to need to do something about the play in the rods. I'd love to do a direct steering setup with like bicycle handlebars but I'm not sure. The steering isn't too bad, and the gears look really good actually. Just need to make new brass bushings for the front rods.
Back to top Go down
mainemudder
mainemudder

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Murray Off-Road Mower Build   mower - Murray Off-Road Mower Build Icon_minitimeJanuary 12th 2013, 7:01 pm

Got some of the cleaning done and most of the wiring for my new ignition system. Now, it's time to lock the transaxle and figure out what to do with the front end. Most likely, Fearless is going to help me with the locking.

mower - Murray Off-Road Mower Build IMG_0237

just a quick coat of black paint on the new transaxle pulley
mower - Murray Off-Road Mower Build IMG_0238

crappy picture of my Fearlessfront style ignition system. (toggle switch not done yet)
mower - Murray Off-Road Mower Build IMG_0239
Back to top Go down
mainemudder
mainemudder

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Murray Off-Road Mower Build   mower - Murray Off-Road Mower Build Icon_minitimeJanuary 13th 2013, 7:40 pm

Back to top Go down
mainemudder
mainemudder

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Murray Off-Road Mower Build   mower - Murray Off-Road Mower Build Icon_minitimeJanuary 17th 2013, 6:13 pm

So, I'll be locking the transaxle for my off-road mower this weekend! I'm meeting up with Fearlessfront on Saturday.
Back to top Go down
mainemudder
mainemudder

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Murray Off-Road Mower Build   mower - Murray Off-Road Mower Build Icon_minitimeMarch 16th 2013, 7:56 am

So check this out! A lot has happened!

mower - Murray Off-Road Mower Build Photo.php?fbid=10200713949874605&set=a.10200713937394293.1073741825

mower - Murray Off-Road Mower Build 484763_10200713949994608_2026551785_n
Back to top Go down
mainemudder
mainemudder

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Murray Off-Road Mower Build   mower - Murray Off-Road Mower Build Icon_minitimeMarch 16th 2013, 7:56 am

mower - Murray Off-Road Mower Build 549325_10200713949874605_1646154170_n
Back to top Go down
truckin42
Veteran Member
truckin42
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Murray Off-Road Mower Build   mower - Murray Off-Road Mower Build Icon_minitimeMarch 16th 2013, 2:28 pm

It looks good.
I like those rear tires.
Back to top Go down
xxXMowerdudeXxx
Established Member

Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Murray Off-Road Mower Build   mower - Murray Off-Road Mower Build Icon_minitimeMarch 16th 2013, 11:40 pm

nice, never seen the front bigger then the back before lol jk, love the back ones
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Murray Off-Road Mower Build   mower - Murray Off-Road Mower Build Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Murray Off-Road Mower Build
Page 1 of 1