All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

12.5 hp briggs and stratton flathead and i turn the key over and the motor spins but doesn't want to start

Go down 
+2
AcreFarm
MurrayMayhem
6 posters
AuthorMessage
MurrayMayhem
MurrayMayhem

12.5 hp briggs and stratton flathead and i turn the key over and the motor spins but doesn't want to start Empty
PostSubject: 12.5 hp briggs and stratton flathead and i turn the key over and the motor spins but doesn't want to start   12.5 hp briggs and stratton flathead and i turn the key over and the motor spins but doesn't want to start Icon_minitimeJanuary 13th 2013, 6:54 pm

Its a 12.5 hp briggs and stratton flathead and i turn the key over and the motor spins but doesn't want to start. ive tried doing everything using the choke and starting fluid, but it won't idle by itself, i have no idea why please help.
Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

12.5 hp briggs and stratton flathead and i turn the key over and the motor spins but doesn't want to start Empty
PostSubject: Re: 12.5 hp briggs and stratton flathead and i turn the key over and the motor spins but doesn't want to start   12.5 hp briggs and stratton flathead and i turn the key over and the motor spins but doesn't want to start Icon_minitimeJanuary 13th 2013, 7:13 pm

Spark, Compression & fuel. That's what your engine needs to run.

You say it won't idle by itself... does that mean it will run on starting fluid? If so you've likely got a fuel issue.
If the fuel itself is good it's probably time to clean the carb
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: 12.5 hp briggs and stratton flathead and i turn the key over and the motor spins but doesn't want to start   12.5 hp briggs and stratton flathead and i turn the key over and the motor spins but doesn't want to start Icon_minitimeJanuary 13th 2013, 7:18 pm

what he said.
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: 12.5 hp briggs and stratton flathead and i turn the key over and the motor spins but doesn't want to start   12.5 hp briggs and stratton flathead and i turn the key over and the motor spins but doesn't want to start Icon_minitimeJanuary 13th 2013, 7:53 pm

is it getting fuel? Does it have good spark? It could be a dirty carb
Back to top Go down
Marines2621
Marines2621

PostSubject: Re: 12.5 hp briggs and stratton flathead and i turn the key over and the motor spins but doesn't want to start   12.5 hp briggs and stratton flathead and i turn the key over and the motor spins but doesn't want to start Icon_minitimeJanuary 18th 2013, 3:24 pm

Safety switches in the mower? are they bad. killswitch not bad and grounding the motor off? Just some ideas.
Back to top Go down
Marines2621
Marines2621

PostSubject: Re: 12.5 hp briggs and stratton flathead and i turn the key over and the motor spins but doesn't want to start   12.5 hp briggs and stratton flathead and i turn the key over and the motor spins but doesn't want to start Icon_minitimeJanuary 18th 2013, 3:24 pm

Killswitch wire*
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: 12.5 hp briggs and stratton flathead and i turn the key over and the motor spins but doesn't want to start   12.5 hp briggs and stratton flathead and i turn the key over and the motor spins but doesn't want to start Icon_minitimeJanuary 18th 2013, 3:38 pm

If it runs on starter fluid, but not without it, then the carb is dirty/plugged, or it may be bad gas
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
Marines2621
Marines2621

PostSubject: Re: 12.5 hp briggs and stratton flathead and i turn the key over and the motor spins but doesn't want to start   12.5 hp briggs and stratton flathead and i turn the key over and the motor spins but doesn't want to start Icon_minitimeJanuary 19th 2013, 12:17 am

Didn't see that clearly
Back to top Go down
tractorboy567
tractorboy567

PostSubject: Re: 12.5 hp briggs and stratton flathead and i turn the key over and the motor spins but doesn't want to start   12.5 hp briggs and stratton flathead and i turn the key over and the motor spins but doesn't want to start Icon_minitimeJanuary 23rd 2013, 10:27 am

see if air is coming out of the carb. i just had the same problem.
Back to top Go down
MurrayMayhem
MurrayMayhem

PostSubject: Re: 12.5 hp briggs and stratton flathead and i turn the key over and the motor spins but doesn't want to start   12.5 hp briggs and stratton flathead and i turn the key over and the motor spins but doesn't want to start Icon_minitimeFebruary 19th 2014, 8:58 pm

I don't even remember posting this, but I found out that the spark plug had stuff on it. I put it in the wire wheel, slapped it back in, and the motor fired on gas, smoked for a couple seconds, but it started and ran fine, still does to this day.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 12.5 hp briggs and stratton flathead and i turn the key over and the motor spins but doesn't want to start   12.5 hp briggs and stratton flathead and i turn the key over and the motor spins but doesn't want to start Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

12.5 hp briggs and stratton flathead and i turn the key over and the motor spins but doesn't want to start
Page 1 of 1