All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Hello from the Emerald Isle

Go down 
+3
MightyRaze
Ifitaintbroke
Adnoh
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Adnoh

Hello from the Emerald Isle Empty
PostSubject: Hello from the Emerald Isle   Hello from the Emerald Isle Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2024, 4:54 am

Hi folks and greetings from a very wet Ireland, which is in Europe, just off the coast of Great Britain. It's where an awful lot of Americans originated from back in the day!
I live on a small plot, some 2 acres,750 feet up the side of a hill. Whilst my house is on the flat.... It was cut into the slope, my land is very sloped, ranging from almost flat to vertical. Having lived here some 20 years, I've always hankered after some form of 'tractor' to move stuff around. Over the years, I've tried all manner of machines, but recently discovered that old ride-on mowers are relatively cheap and plentiful locally. In the past 12 months I've 'restored', (brought back from the dead), an old Westwood s800 12HP, and a Rally 92cm. Both machines now run well, but the centre of gravity is too high to use them around the plot.
I also acquired a John Deere LA100 which on first examination looked to be in a fixable condition. It even had a mowing deck which, with a little patience and welding, could be useable. After stripping it down I discovered that the original B&S engine was blown and needed replacing. Eventually, I bought a used Kawasaki FH500V 18HP 500cc lump. (It's stamped with John Deere logos and apparently came from a fairly new machine that had been stripped for parts). I've now stripped the machine back to its chasis and the engine fits perfectly. My intention is to basically place a seat on the chasis above the transaxle, lower the steering wheel and extend the leg room and foot pedal along the side of the engine to just behind the front wheels. I'm 6'3" tall and my legs and feet fit quite comfortable alongside the engine. Obviously, there is a fair bit of bobywork required, but I'm hoping that by the time I've finished I'll have a low level tractor capable of pulling a small tralier around the plot.
In addition to the issues mentioned, I am conscious that there are other matters that need considering. For example, a very big problem is braking, but hopefully, with the help and assistance of the good people here, I will overcome these problems and get my project completed.
I look forward to sharing my experiences with you all, and if people are interested, I will happily share photos of the build as it proceeds... including the mistakes and problems!
Cheers

RichieRichOverdrive, ranch king pro 08 and muddybasilisk like this post

Back to top Go down
Ifitaintbroke
Ifitaintbroke

PostSubject: Re: Hello from the Emerald Isle   Hello from the Emerald Isle Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2024, 7:46 am

Welcome! Some of my folks came from Carrickfergus, and Antrim, up in Ulster.

muddybasilisk likes this post

Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Hello from the Emerald Isle   Hello from the Emerald Isle Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2024, 10:41 am

Welcome to ATLTF!
Danceparty

Hello from the Emerald Isle Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
Hello from the Emerald Isle Sig214Hello from the Emerald Isle Sig314

Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
RichieRichOverdrive

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Hello from the Emerald Isle   Hello from the Emerald Isle Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2024, 12:27 pm

Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to seeing what you build!

Back to top Go down
ranch king pro 08
ranch king pro 08

2023 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2023 Build-Off Top 3 Winner

PostSubject: Re: Hello from the Emerald Isle   Hello from the Emerald Isle Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2024, 12:32 pm

Welcome to the ATLTF!!

Back to top Go down
muddybasilisk
muddybasilisk

PostSubject: Re: Hello from the Emerald Isle   Hello from the Emerald Isle Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2024, 3:29 pm

Welcome to the forum!
Back to top Go down
JB_4x4

2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Hello from the Emerald Isle   Hello from the Emerald Isle Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2024, 2:10 pm

> It's where an awful lot of Americans originated from back in the day!

The majority of my family is Irish and my great grand parents on my mother's side came over in stowage. My wife just went on vacation to Scotland and Britain. Ireland and Greenland are on the bucket list.

> old Westwood s800 12HP, and a Rally 92cm

Pictures would be awesome, especially if they are not a model usually found in the USA.

> For example, a very big problem is braking

Always a weak spot on the cheap transaxles, imho. Don't throw away your deck handle levers. I just experimented with using mine as a supplement parking brake and it works!

> my land is very sloped

I have a very short hill that kills my engine if I crawl up it when the gas tank is not filled, because the carb starves for gas, I am thinking about switching to a pulse fuel pump or ATV fuel pump/carb.

2 acres is enough to grow a significant amount of food, especially with a greenhouse. Crops are a good excuse to get out on the riding tractor.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from the Emerald Isle   Hello from the Emerald Isle Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hello from the Emerald Isle
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: New Member Forum :: Introduce Yourself Here!-
Jump to: