All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Speed build.. Need help

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Bandit1
Bandit1

Speed build.. Need help Empty
PostSubject: Speed build.. Need help   Speed build.. Need help Icon_minitimeJanuary 25th 2013, 2:12 am

Currently I have my murray geared up to about 35-40 mph. I would like more acceleration and still keep my top speed. I'm in need of some ideas for what I could do.
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Speed build.. Need help   Speed build.. Need help Icon_minitimeJanuary 25th 2013, 2:25 am

what about possibly setting up a torque convertor? i dont know if they work vertically though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stat10.tk/
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Speed build.. Need help   Speed build.. Need help Icon_minitimeJanuary 25th 2013, 8:03 am

This is one time where a bigger engine would help. Stock 14hp singles, up to 20 hp twins, will get the job done. But with more horsepower, comes broken transaxles.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Speed build.. Need help   Speed build.. Need help Icon_minitimeJanuary 26th 2013, 2:55 pm

Usually when you go faster you change drivetrains, like to RAGB's and straight axles or 700 peerless transmissions, the 600 series peerless are good for speed as well.

Even those should be modded for speed actually.

Bigger motors will net more speed , pulley changes usually will cure acceleration lag, but end up slowing you down, going with a go kart clutch would be quicker off the line also.

I ran a 6" motor pulley on my 18HP twin murray - it had a lil lag initially , but wound up quick enough.

Larger the motor pulley, slower the take off - even with a foot throttle.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Speed build.. Need help   Speed build.. Need help Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Speed build.. Need help
Page 1 of 1