All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

peerless 6 spd wont go back together

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
jaymz_eric

Peerless - peerless 6 spd wont go back together Empty
PostSubject: peerless 6 spd wont go back together   Peerless - peerless 6 spd wont go back together Icon_minitimeJanuary 28th 2013, 4:17 pm

ok i have just your average run of the mill peerless 6 spd that came off an old craftsman II, ?I took it apart and re greased everything, I got it all back together but the case wont close all the way down, mainly around the bull gear. To me it looks like the bull gear is setting on the bottom of the case, when i try to turn the spider gears and axles they spin freely, but try to spin the bull gear and the whole gear set it connects to lifts out of place like its bound up. now granted i didnt clean all of the old sticky black grease out and the thing set opened up in the garage for a couple months...so could it just need a massive cleaning? or do i have something else wrong? I noticed that when i put the case back together and it didnt quite close all the way it was hard to move the shifter fork and spinning the pulley only let me twist it so far before it stopped and then slightly sprung back into posistion as if i was stretching the chain drive inside.....any ideas? Ive watched fearless fronts videop on locking a transaxle and put it back together the same way, something is just not fitting right
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: peerless 6 spd wont go back together   Peerless - peerless 6 spd wont go back together Icon_minitimeJanuary 28th 2013, 4:59 pm

Your spider gears are one tooth off. Where the axles go into the large gear, it has to be lined up perfect, one of the axles is off a tooth, and is high or low in the gear.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: peerless 6 spd wont go back together   Peerless - peerless 6 spd wont go back together Icon_minitimeJanuary 28th 2013, 5:16 pm

Yup. Gotta align your axles in right for it to go on.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: peerless 6 spd wont go back together   Peerless - peerless 6 spd wont go back together Icon_minitimeJanuary 28th 2013, 6:30 pm

Also check the bushings - most bushings have a little tab to locate them and keep them from spinning in the case - i took the trans in my 88 kleen kut apart - had to open and close it several times to get stuff lined up.
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: peerless 6 spd wont go back together   Peerless - peerless 6 spd wont go back together Icon_minitimeJanuary 28th 2013, 6:37 pm

I had this issue when putting mine back together. As Stretch44875 said, the spider gear inside the side have to be lined up properly or one axle will either be at an angle which makes the crown gear be at a funny angle. It can be tricky i found to get it meshed properly but you'll get there.

I also agree with dangeroustoys56 about the bushing tabs. Make sure the tabs are the right way as that can stop the top casing from closing properly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: peerless 6 spd wont go back together   Peerless - peerless 6 spd wont go back together Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

peerless 6 spd wont go back together
Page 1 of 1