All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

What to do when you brake a bolt off in aluminum?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

What to do when you brake a bolt off in aluminum? Empty
PostSubject: What to do when you brake a bolt off in aluminum?   What to do when you brake a bolt off in aluminum? Icon_minitimeSeptember 8th 2010, 2:42 pm

What to do when you brake a bolt off in aluminulm???
It never turns out good for me. Sad
Back to top Go down
Ford Boi
Ford Boi

PostSubject: Re: What to do when you brake a bolt off in aluminum?   What to do when you brake a bolt off in aluminum? Icon_minitimeSeptember 8th 2010, 5:48 pm

I learned my lesson many times.... If a bolt is remotely stubborn, use some heat. I've broke soooooooo many bolts in bad places and on other people's vehicles lol. But yeah the welding technique is my favorite way. Good luck if you can try it! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What to do when you brake a bolt off in aluminum?   What to do when you brake a bolt off in aluminum? Icon_minitimeSeptember 9th 2010, 12:16 am

Ford Boi wrote:
I learned my lesson many times.... If a bolt is remotely stubborn, use some heat. I've broke soooooooo many bolts in bad places and on other people's vehicles lol. But yeah the welding technique is my favorite way. Good luck if you can try it! Very Happy

Yeah, i remember hearing the welding trick but never tried it, i will next time though.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: What to do when you brake a bolt off in aluminum?   What to do when you brake a bolt off in aluminum? Icon_minitimeSeptember 9th 2010, 5:24 am

What is the bolt for. If you cant get it out you'll proably give to drill and re-tap the hole.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: What to do when you brake a bolt off in aluminum?   What to do when you brake a bolt off in aluminum? Icon_minitimeSeptember 9th 2010, 8:38 am

Now that Ford Boi mentioned the welding trick- that reminds me of what the ford dealer had to do on my 99 when the starter bolts broke- the mechanic welded a nut on the broken bolt ( what was left out) heated it up gently and removed it w/o wrecking it.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What to do when you brake a bolt off in aluminum?   What to do when you brake a bolt off in aluminum? Icon_minitimeSeptember 9th 2010, 10:05 am

It was a head bolt, i already try'd to drill it and messed it up so next time around i'll try the welding and heating thing. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: What to do when you brake a bolt off in aluminum?   What to do when you brake a bolt off in aluminum? Icon_minitimeSeptember 12th 2010, 7:49 am

This happed to me. I broke off a head bolt when I wanted to do a valve job on my non i/c 12.5. It was what had come on the tractor originally. I tried to use an "easy out" to get it out, but that broke too. I got really pissed off and bought a new "used" 12.5 i/c from a shop near me. It was missing a carb and starter. I swapped everything over with all new gaskets and put in an ohv piston and connecting rod. Lots of porting, torquing, never seize and loc-tight... lol

But it's a tough little motor. The new block cost me $10. All the gaskets and other stuff cost another $15-$20.
Back to top Go down
http://ww.atltf.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What to do when you brake a bolt off in aluminum?   What to do when you brake a bolt off in aluminum? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What to do when you brake a bolt off in aluminum?
Page 1 of 1