All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

What kinda fuel do you use?

Go down 
+5
CornishMorgan
TheRainbowBoxer
crafsmankiller
dangeroustoys56
Trcustoms
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Trcustoms
Trcustoms

What kinda fuel do you use? Empty
PostSubject: What kinda fuel do you use?   What kinda fuel do you use? Icon_minitimeSeptember 20th 2010, 3:03 pm

What octane fuel do you use?
Has any one ever used E85?
E85 is 85 octane rite?
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: What kinda fuel do you use?   What kinda fuel do you use? Icon_minitimeSeptember 20th 2010, 3:28 pm

Ive used some high test in my murray, plus 104 octane boost- i really didnt see a difference to be honest- all my other tractors get normal plain old low test.

Heres what wikipedia has to say about E85 :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85

Back to top Go down
Trcustoms
Trcustoms

PostSubject: Re: What kinda fuel do you use?   What kinda fuel do you use? Icon_minitimeSeptember 20th 2010, 3:44 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Ive used some high test in my murray, plus 104 octane boost- i really didnt see a difference to be honest- all my other tractors get normal plain old low test.

Heres what wikipedia has to say about E85 :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85

In some cases it's better for racing engines but either then that it sucks!
Back to top Go down
crafsmankiller

PostSubject: Re: What kinda fuel do you use?   What kinda fuel do you use? Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2013, 4:09 pm

i have a friend thats into jet boat racing, he uses a EXTREMELY MODIFIED chevy small block, thing has like thing has a hellovalot of compression,he said that higher octane fuel in a engine designed to run low octane doesnt do anything performance wise, it only works if it has high compression.

high octane+high compression=high power
high octane+low compression=same power
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: What kinda fuel do you use?   What kinda fuel do you use? Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2013, 5:08 pm

The above observations are correct. The reason hi test is better in (and sometimes required for) high performance engines is that higher octane fuel is more stable. It does not ignite as easily under compression + heat. With higher compression engines, the lower octane fuel, which is more volatile, tends to ignite prematurely, which is counterproductive and not very nice to your engine.

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: What kinda fuel do you use?   What kinda fuel do you use? Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2013, 6:22 pm

I just use normal 95 octane unleaded petrol from my local filling station. I normally put a few drops of Redex to keep it fuel system clean as well.
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: What kinda fuel do you use?   What kinda fuel do you use? Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2013, 7:59 pm

I run High Octane(the highest octane within 46km) which is 91 Octane, then 47km away they have 110 Octane, not worth trying to run in my engines, unless im putting it in my fathers sled but im not going to pay $5 a litre for the stuff.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stat10.tk/
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: What kinda fuel do you use?   What kinda fuel do you use? Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2013, 10:37 pm

High octane in a low compression engine is a waste of money.
You don't need it for anything less than 11:1 comrpression ratio.
However, Superchargers and Turbochargers need it as well, engines with modified timings sometimes need it.

I don't like paying 4.50 a gallon for 95 octane for the boat but I have to. Its timed so tight that any thing less will detonate it to death.. 110 avgas is out of the question. It works good in cessnas but i can't afford it. plus i think its still leaded.

To be honest, i don't like payin 4 bucks a gallon for 85 octane, but I have to.
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
Marines2621
Marines2621

PostSubject: Re: What kinda fuel do you use?   What kinda fuel do you use? Icon_minitimeJanuary 9th 2013, 12:16 am

I run racing fuel plus methanol or alcohol how ever u put it mixed and get gas and mix. That gives some power to my opposed
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: What kinda fuel do you use?   What kinda fuel do you use? Icon_minitimeJanuary 9th 2013, 5:00 am

Chopperhed wrote:
High octane in a low compression engine is a waste of money.

95 is the lowest I can get, Its either 95 or 98 so I don't really have a choice.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: What kinda fuel do you use?   What kinda fuel do you use? Icon_minitimeJanuary 9th 2013, 4:06 pm

Heres something to be aware of with today's gas - if its left in the tractor/carb - it can either corrode or build up gunk in the carb - specially if its sat around a while.

Last year i was going thru my mowing tractor's maintenence ( used once a week during season, once a month during winter) , and was giving some a regular cleaning - noticed a whole lot of 'gunk' in the float bowl - keep in mind i shut the fuel off and let the carb drain out every time , and it still left stuff in the carb. I also was adding fuel stabilizer to the gas can and or gas tank. This year ive drained the gas completely out of the tractors before winter - ill see how things look.

Its probably has to do with high ethanol content, which can draw moisture as well - possibly adding a dry gas would help.

Back to top Go down
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: What kinda fuel do you use?   What kinda fuel do you use? Icon_minitimeSeptember 3rd 2013, 10:17 pm

i run 89 octane most of the time, 93 if i have money i dont know what to do with. BTW, E85 is NOT 85 octane. its 85% ethanol. run it through your mower and youll be looking for a new engine
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What kinda fuel do you use?   What kinda fuel do you use? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What kinda fuel do you use?
Page 1 of 1