All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Craigslist ad, please help identify

Go down 
+3
simplicity14twin
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
TheEquineFencer
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TheEquineFencer

Craigslist ad, please help identify Empty
PostSubject: Craigslist ad, please help identify   Craigslist ad, please help identify Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2014, 8:43 pm

http://eastnc.craigslist.org/grd/4272315149.html
I've not been to look at it yet, I figured I'd ask you folks some questions about it first. Like what transaxle do you think is in it? Is it as strong as an 820-xxx? I'm looking another one for a UTV project I'll start shortly if all goes well.
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist ad, please help identify   Craigslist ad, please help identify Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2014, 8:46 pm

If its a 3spd with hi and low it probably is a trans-axle like FF has in his Sears diesel.  If so it is DEFINATLY as good or better.
Back to top Go down
simplicity14twin
simplicity14twin

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist ad, please help identify   Craigslist ad, please help identify Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2014, 8:46 pm

I have one in my yard THe front ends are pretty nice I used the front end for an mtd front end and it worked great. The motors have no power and the transaxle is not a peerless I do know that
Back to top Go down
83ratrodmurray
83ratrodmurray

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist ad, please help identify   Craigslist ad, please help identify Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2014, 8:48 pm

its a very early 80s model I would assume that it has some sort of cast iron peerless with a horizontal input shaft. should be plenty strong.
Back to top Go down
TheEquineFencer

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist ad, please help identify   Craigslist ad, please help identify Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2014, 8:53 pm

simplicity14twin wrote:
I have one in my yard THe front ends are pretty nice I used the front end for an mtd front end and it worked great. The motors have no power and the transaxle is not a peerless I do know that

If you have one in your front yard, how is the driveline laid out? Is it Horizonal input or Verticle input shaft? How is the clutch/pulley system laid out?
Back to top Go down
simplicity14twin
simplicity14twin

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist ad, please help identify   Craigslist ad, please help identify Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2014, 9:03 pm

It is vertical input I do know that. and the clutch is basicly like a tension system so there is the pulley coming off the crankshaft that then goes to two pulleys stacked ontop of eachother then one goes to the trans. So when you let off the clutch a spring pulls this tension system on the belt with a pulley making it a tight fit then once you put the clutch in it backs off leaving a bunch of slack so the motor just runs freely ad you can shift. But im still not 100% sure on everything once I get out of work tomorrow I can put on some pics.
Back to top Go down
TheEquineFencer

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist ad, please help identify   Craigslist ad, please help identify Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2014, 10:09 pm

I called and talked to the guy tonight. He was telling me it's a horizonal shaft motor in it and the pulleys for the transmission is on the side. Looking at the picture it looks like it's a horizonal shaft motor with a pulley setup that changes the belt direction to go into the top of the transmission. I'd hate to drive that far to find out it's not what I may be able to use. Let me know what you find out when you get a chance, no hurry. I'm still looking some 820 rear ends.
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist ad, please help identify   Craigslist ad, please help identify Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2014, 10:15 pm

its a 633a, 3 speed hi/low like LMM said. And yea horizontal opposed, should have a good amount of power. It uses two pulleys that twist the belt off the engines pulley to the axle, its hard to explain, but the belt goes straight down and to the right (if your sitting on the mower looking at it) and then shoots back to the peerless. Great axle (better then a 820), great frame (being a GT), great engine. (although the horizontal opposed engines are a little harder to find certain parts for)
Back to top Go down
TheEquineFencer

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist ad, please help identify   Craigslist ad, please help identify Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2014, 10:19 pm

redlinemotorsportts wrote:
its a 633a, 3 speed hi/low like LMM said. And yea horizontal opposed, should have a good amount of power. It uses two pulleys that twist the belt off the engines pulley to the axle, its hard to explain, but the belt goes straight down and to the right (if your sitting on the mower looking at it) and then shoots back to the peerless. Great axle (better then a 820), great frame (being a GT), great engine. (although the horizontal opposed engines are a little harder to find certain parts for)

Does the pulley on the transmission go on top like an 820?
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist ad, please help identify   Craigslist ad, please help identify Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2014, 11:08 pm

TheEquineFencer wrote:
redlinemotorsportts wrote:

Does the pulley on the transmission go on top like an 820?
No a 633 is a horizontal input.
Back to top Go down
simplicity14twin
simplicity14twin

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist ad, please help identify   Craigslist ad, please help identify Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2014, 6:27 am

the one in my yard is the same thing but has the 8hp vertical and a vertical trans
Back to top Go down
TheEquineFencer

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist ad, please help identify   Craigslist ad, please help identify Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2014, 6:29 am

simplicity14twin wrote:
the one in my yard is the same thing but has the 8hp vertical and a vertical trans

That's what's weird, he says his is a 8HP with the pulley on the side of the tranny. Is yours on the top?
Back to top Go down
TheEquineFencer

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist ad, please help identify   Craigslist ad, please help identify Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2014, 6:30 am

The picture in the AD looks to be an 18HP.
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist ad, please help identify   Craigslist ad, please help identify Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2014, 6:51 am

Not sure why he says its 8hp, it's clearly a twin cyl
Back to top Go down
simplicity14twin
simplicity14twin

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist ad, please help identify   Craigslist ad, please help identify Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2014, 7:39 am

yea its vertical input
Back to top Go down
TheEquineFencer

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist ad, please help identify   Craigslist ad, please help identify Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2014, 7:41 am

I didn't ask him, but from looking at the picture in the AD, is that briggs or a Kohler or what?
Back to top Go down
xxXMowerdudeXxx
Established Member

Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist ad, please help identify   Craigslist ad, please help identify Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2014, 7:59 am

GOOF ALERT! Lol, it's clearly a 18hp briggs opposed twin, horizontal shaft. Yes that's a tuff mower, just won't be able to get a lot of speed out of it. Maybe like 15 but that's it.
Back to top Go down
TheEquineFencer

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist ad, please help identify   Craigslist ad, please help identify Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2014, 9:48 am

I'm looking around for a heavy duty rear end to use for a UTV project. To get the speed I'm guessing if I use this rear end I could swap some pullies to get some speed out of it. The lady I'm going to build it for has a new 17HP Vert shaft B&S electric start motor coming.
Back to top Go down
1997 Murray
Veteran Member
1997 Murray
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Craigslist ad, please help identify   Craigslist ad, please help identify Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2014, 10:39 am

serching your local cragslist I found this: http://raleigh.craigslist.org/grd/4239428880.html it appers to have a 820, or a hydro. contact him and see if it is a manual, if it is it will be an 820.
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist ad, please help identify   Craigslist ad, please help identify Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2014, 10:42 am

simplicity14twin wrote:

Well there were some "lawn tractors" that looked similar (hood fenders etc.) but had a vertical shaft motor and a vertical shaft trans-axle. A good way to tell is the horizontal shaft motor, 5-lug hubs ,and bigger tires.  You can clearly see that this is a GT model.
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist ad, please help identify   Craigslist ad, please help identify Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2014, 10:44 am

1997 Murray wrote:
serching your local cragslist I found this: http://raleigh.craigslist.org/grd/4239428880.html it appers to have a 820, or a hydro. contact him and see if it is a manual, if it is it will be an 820.

I am pretty sure most of those were hydro's. Not sure tho.
Back to top Go down
simplicity14twin
simplicity14twin

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist ad, please help identify   Craigslist ad, please help identify Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2014, 10:44 am

If it was a hydrostatic Wouldn't it have pedals. In the next couple of years I will be getting a john Deer with a hydrostatic. It is my grams but she is getting to elder to use it so I think I will probably end up getting it for Christmas or something hahah   Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist ad, please help identify   Craigslist ad, please help identify Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2014, 10:48 am

simplicity14twin wrote:
If it was a hydrostatic Wouldn't it have pedals.

Yes they do. All mowers have pedals.  Hydro or not.  That is the brake/clutch pedal, even hydros have them.
Back to top Go down
1997 Murray
Veteran Member
1997 Murray
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Craigslist ad, please help identify   Craigslist ad, please help identify Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2014, 10:56 am

yeah, but there is still a posibility. uasaly hydros have a sticker saying "automatic drive" or something to that effect.
Back to top Go down
TheEquineFencer

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist ad, please help identify   Craigslist ad, please help identify Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2014, 12:32 pm

I just replied to the AD to see if he'll send me the model number from the Data Tag to look it up on that CL Raleigh one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Craigslist ad, please help identify   Craigslist ad, please help identify Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Craigslist ad, please help identify
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next