All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

shroud question (again, i know, lets beat a dead horse)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
richie thomas
Veteran Member
richie thomas
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

horse - shroud question (again, i know, lets beat a dead horse) Empty
PostSubject: shroud question (again, i know, lets beat a dead horse)   horse - shroud question (again, i know, lets beat a dead horse) Icon_minitimeMarch 19th 2014, 10:40 pm

ok guys, here is my idea, i need all yall engine guru's to answer. these motors are air-cooled,naturally aspirated engines, correct?(unless you got one of dem dere fancy watercooled honda's)
im thinking of eliminating the shroud off my motor, and installing a fan off a big atv, and have it mounted at the front of the engine bay,
if that works for atv's and utv's it should work for my mower right?
Back to top Go down
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: shroud question (again, i know, lets beat a dead horse)   horse - shroud question (again, i know, lets beat a dead horse) Icon_minitimeMarch 19th 2014, 10:59 pm

the only way i would ever consider that, is if i installed a temp gauge. even then i wouldnt trust it. yes, my ATV is air cooled, however, the oil is insanely thick, AND, it has its own oil line going to the valve train, to keep that happy, not to mention an oil cooler. if it was me, i would leave it on.. thats just me though, besides, is there really any advantages to it?
Back to top Go down
richie thomas
Veteran Member
richie thomas
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: shroud question (again, i know, lets beat a dead horse)   horse - shroud question (again, i know, lets beat a dead horse) Icon_minitimeMarch 19th 2014, 11:29 pm

it would allow me to get rid of all this ugly plastic *****, and i think it will be fine, this mower has pressurized oil
Back to top Go down
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: shroud question (again, i know, lets beat a dead horse)   horse - shroud question (again, i know, lets beat a dead horse) Icon_minitimeMarch 20th 2014, 12:24 am

It can be done safely, though you will have to duct the air, even if it's with the hood. Easiest way to do this is to close in the sides so that the air is Forced in the front, and out the back/bottom. A simple tin deflector on the hood, to direct the air downward through the fins will help. To shroud, or not to shroud is a hotly (pardon the pun) debated topic, and only YOU can decide for your engines... Almost all of the "Experts" agree that it's dangerous to mess with the stock cooling system without some serious consideration.
Back to top Go down
richie thomas
Veteran Member
richie thomas
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: shroud question (again, i know, lets beat a dead horse)   horse - shroud question (again, i know, lets beat a dead horse) Icon_minitimeMarch 20th 2014, 12:46 am

Lawren Wimberly wrote:
It can be done safely, though you will have to duct the air, even if it's with the hood. Easiest way to do this is to close in the sides so that the air is Forced in the front, and out the back/bottom. A simple tin deflector on the hood, to direct the air downward through the fins will help. To shroud, or not to shroud is a hotly (pardon the pun) debated topic, and only YOU can decide for your engines... Almost all of the "Experts" agree that it's dangerous to mess with the stock cooling system without some serious consideration.
the cub has hood skirts that totally enclose the engine bay area, so it would be tunneled
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: shroud question (again, i know, lets beat a dead horse)   horse - shroud question (again, i know, lets beat a dead horse) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

shroud question (again, i know, lets beat a dead horse)
Page 1 of 1