All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Where to get a 2 speed transmission?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
dylansrockinrigs
dylansrockinrigs

speed - Where to get a 2 speed transmission? Empty
PostSubject: Where to get a 2 speed transmission?   speed - Where to get a 2 speed transmission? Icon_minitimeMay 4th 2014, 3:21 am

I,m looking for a 2 or 3 speed transmission (not transaxle) with vertical input and output shafts. Does anybody know if these exist and if so where one might get one. I want to use it halfway in between my motor and transaxle as a sort of hi/low gear box so I can put the middle transmission in a low gear and have six speeds on my rear transaxle for slow driving or put the middle one in a higher gear for fast cruising.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Where to get a 2 speed transmission?   speed - Where to get a 2 speed transmission? Icon_minitimeMay 4th 2014, 10:19 am

Not that I know of, offhand.
Back to top Go down
rarbaugh07
rarbaugh07

PostSubject: Re: Where to get a 2 speed transmission?   speed - Where to get a 2 speed transmission? Icon_minitimeMay 4th 2014, 11:28 am

Maybe one out of a old small rear wheel drive car with a manual trans. Then mount pulleys on the input and output shafts and stand it up vertical. A lot of older cars had three speeds and they were pretty compact.
Back to top Go down
Angchor
Angchor

PostSubject: Re: Where to get a 2 speed transmission?   speed - Where to get a 2 speed transmission? Icon_minitimeMay 4th 2014, 11:41 am

You could get the same effect, only a lot simpler, out of a vari-drive pulley system.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Where to get a 2 speed transmission?   speed - Where to get a 2 speed transmission? Icon_minitimeMay 4th 2014, 11:58 am

For mower duty, I think I'd do it like this--- Horizontal shaft engine, running belt to a Peerless 700 tranny, which has been mounted standing on it's side. From there, either belt or chain (whatever you like) to the transaxle. You'd have to play with the pulley/sprocket ratios to get it all dialed in, but the 700 then becomes a range box. You can even reconfigure the internals down to a 2-speed, and pick your ratios.
Back to top Go down
dylansrockinrigs
dylansrockinrigs

PostSubject: Re: Where to get a 2 speed transmission?   speed - Where to get a 2 speed transmission? Icon_minitimeMay 4th 2014, 12:13 pm

I like that Idea Doc, How well would the 700moment handle being on its side?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where to get a 2 speed transmission?   speed - Where to get a 2 speed transmission? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Where to get a 2 speed transmission?
Page 1 of 1