All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

General Mayhem- Race Tractor

Go down 
+12
1997 Murray
murrayracer
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
TennesseeCowboy
MowBandit
TheRainbowBoxer
TheBeal
Murray modder
redlinemotorsportts
k2500life
Stretch44875
Doc Sprocket
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

General Mayhem- Race Tractor Empty
PostSubject: General Mayhem- Race Tractor   General Mayhem- Race Tractor Icon_minitimeAugust 16th 2013, 6:41 am

Awhile back, I picked up a 1980 Sears LT1136 for a good price. It ran, but not well. I spent 10 minutes on the carb, and it ran like a dream. What to do with it? I was going to clean it up and flip it for a profit, but I decided I liked it. Looked like this when I got it:

General Mayhem- Race Tractor Origin10  

After some thought, I decided to build a budget racer, with the following two criteria: 1)Must pass race tech. I needed a challenge. Anybody can do an engine swap and call it a racer (I have a couple bike engines I was thinking about) but I wanted this thing legit. 2)Cheap- I got a family to feed, which comes before hobbies and fun. This wouldn't be a high-dollar NASCAR type thing, more of a DIY thunder car thing.

I downloaded a rule set from a local organization and got into it. After a couple of false starts, I ended up stripping it down and throwing most of it away. Rule number one: You want to build a racer? There's no point starting with a good, running machine. I think I kept the frame, dash, hood, and running boards. Everything else is gone.

I stripped it all down, degreased it, and reinforced the chassis and dash with 1" square tube. I bought somebody else's crappy racer chassis-thing for cheap, because it had an 18hp Briggs Oppy that I wanted:

General Mayhem- Race Tractor Donor10

The thing was NASTY. But it had a good running engine, and some parts that would find their way onto various projects. Again- this pile of scrap is NOT my machine! Ecch...

I also acquired a Peerless 700 (more on that later) and a bunch of other goodies. Now, I haven't touched this in awhile, but here's a video overview of basically how it sits. The only thing I did AFTER the video (till yesterday) is finalize the steering including new rod and drag link, and new rod ends.

Specs look like this:
*18hp Briggs Oppy Twin
Peerless 700 4-speed
1 1/4" Chromoly hollow go kart axle
16x7.50-8 Carlisle MultiTrac CS on Douglas 8x8 Aluminum Jr Dragster rear wheels
13x6.50-6 Carlisle Turf Masters on Douglas 6x6 Aluminum go kart fronts
Aluminum kart front hubs with high speed bearings
Aluminum go kart steering wheel
Hand throttle
Tethered kill switch
Modified rear fender unit from some old Bolens GT
Modified fibreglass race car seat
Rear brake master cylinder, reservoir, caliper and hose from 1983 Honda Interceptor 750 Motorcycle
Rear brake rotor modified pitbike slotted and adapted to kart axle
And probably more that I've already forgotten.

Most of it is still in mockup. The welds have not been burnt in (just tacked), and I still have a hell of a lot to do to it.

Yesterday's work- Next post.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: General Mayhem- Race Tractor   General Mayhem- Race Tractor Icon_minitimeAugust 16th 2013, 6:54 am

One thing I don't like about the second gen oppy twins is the fixed-main jet carb. I drill my own jets all the time, but if I can get a pre-EPA adjustable main jet carb, why not? So... A buddy of mine on my go kart forum had an old beaten carb off a first generation twin, and a full rebuild kit to go with it, so I bought it.

I spent yesterday cleaning that carb so you could eat off it. I had the parts from 3 carbs scattered all over the bench- that old one, the one that came on my engine, and a spare. I chose the best parts from all of them. Painted it up all purdy-like, and fully rebuilt it, including the fuel pump. New gaskets, seals, diaphragms, springs, jet needles, float valve... You name it! I also cleaned and painted my flywheel (makes it easier to find the parts (LMAO) and spent hourse degreasing the engine block. I have to go out today, hoping to paint the block when I get back.

The block will be flat black, the tinwork will be OD green. Why? Military theme. This IS General Mayhem! The whole thing will be OD green and black! Pics when I get home... Or maybe a couple now. note- second pic, background left. Say hello to my dog, Tikka!

General Mayhem- Race Tractor Img_1110
General Mayhem- Race Tractor Img_1111
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: General Mayhem- Race Tractor   General Mayhem- Race Tractor Icon_minitimeAugust 16th 2013, 8:21 am

Looking good, same frame as my LT10. Grille is a little different, but I haven't seen another LT with the same grille as mine.

What are you doing for a front axle? Going to sanction race it? Keeping the stock steering box?
Back to top Go down
k2500life
Veteran Member
k2500life
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: General Mayhem- Race Tractor   General Mayhem- Race Tractor Icon_minitimeAugust 16th 2013, 9:59 am

That's pretty sweet are those stripes factory?
Back to top Go down
http://www.lastdropgarage.com
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: General Mayhem- Race Tractor   General Mayhem- Race Tractor Icon_minitimeAugust 16th 2013, 3:47 pm

Stretch44875 wrote:
Looking good, same frame as my LT10.  Grille is a little different, but I haven't seen another LT with the same grille as mine.

What are you doing for a front axle?  Going to sanction race it?  Keeping the stock steering box?
Didn't watch the video, didja? LOL. No. Direct steer, all fabbed, heim joints. Front axle fabbed from 2x2" square, knuckles made from 5/16" plate. Still don't know if I will race it in "club" events as the closest club is 3 hours away. However- I will be running a few races in the local fall agricultural fair circuit. Exhibition races, as it were.

k2500life wrote:
That's pretty sweet are those stripes factory?
Heck no. I bought the tractor from a friend's father in law, my friend did the crappy paint job. Looks like hell in person. The whole thing will have fresh paint when I'm done. In fact, I'm painting the engine now...
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: General Mayhem- Race Tractor   General Mayhem- Race Tractor Icon_minitimeAugust 16th 2013, 4:24 pm

You have very good fab skills haha I like the look of everything. Not to get sidetracked but how old is the video? MULE in the background doesn't look modified.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: General Mayhem- Race Tractor   General Mayhem- Race Tractor Icon_minitimeAugust 16th 2013, 4:33 pm

Thanks- and you're right. the video is several months old. I hit some stumbling blocks in the build and then got sidetracked by life and other projects. So, I shot the video, a bit of time passed, did the steering up, and it sat up until a few days ago. Then, I got reinspired. Went to see some tractor racing a few days ago, and dug the General outta mothballs.

I was out today, and picked up a couple pulleys...
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: General Mayhem- Race Tractor   General Mayhem- Race Tractor Icon_minitimeAugust 16th 2013, 7:25 pm

Doc Sprocket wrote:
Thanks- and you're right. the video is several months old. I hit some stumbling blocks in the build and then got sidetracked by life and other projects. So, I shot the video, a bit of time passed, did the steering up, and it sat up until a few days ago. Then, I got reinspired. Went to see some tractor racing a few days ago, and dug the General outta mothballs.

I see a buggy back there too with a motorcycle vtwin in it. you have a lot of projects.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: General Mayhem- Race Tractor   General Mayhem- Race Tractor Icon_minitimeAugust 16th 2013, 7:32 pm

redlinemotorsportts wrote:
Doc Sprocket wrote:

I see a buggy back there too with a motorcycle vtwin in it. you have a lot of projects.
Yup. That was my old go kart. It's in peices right now till I figure out what I want to do to it, if anything at all.
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: General Mayhem- Race Tractor   General Mayhem- Race Tractor Icon_minitimeAugust 16th 2013, 9:21 pm

do you think fabricating a new intake, like a highrise will increase performance?
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: General Mayhem- Race Tractor   General Mayhem- Race Tractor Icon_minitimeAugust 16th 2013, 9:35 pm

Nope. There's already a pretty long run between the carb and the intake ports. Longer would only hurt. Meanwhile, keep in mind that a classis "highrise" manifold is designed for a square-bore, 4-bbl carb- and it's purpose is to divert carb output equally amongst 2 banks of cylinders by keeping the 2 paths completely divided (2 levels).

Meanwhile, been painting. Got dark, had to stop.
General Mayhem- Race Tractor Engine10
General Mayhem- Race Tractor Engine11
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: General Mayhem- Race Tractor   General Mayhem- Race Tractor Icon_minitimeAugust 16th 2013, 9:38 pm

Is the flywheel grey too?
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

PostSubject: Re: General Mayhem- Race Tractor   General Mayhem- Race Tractor Icon_minitimeAugust 16th 2013, 9:49 pm

Doc Sprocket wrote:
Nope. There's already a pretty long run between the carb and the intake ports. Longer would only hurt. Meanwhile, keep in mind that a classis "highrise" manifold is designed for a square-bore, 4-bbl carb- and it's purpose is to divert carb output equally amongst 2 banks of cylinders by keeping the 2 paths completely divided (2 levels).

....What?
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: General Mayhem- Race Tractor   General Mayhem- Race Tractor Icon_minitimeAugust 16th 2013, 9:49 pm

Nothing is grey (too dark for good pics). Colours are OD green, and black. The 'wheel's black.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: General Mayhem- Race Tractor   General Mayhem- Race Tractor Icon_minitimeAugust 16th 2013, 9:50 pm

Murray modder wrote:
Doc Sprocket wrote:

....What?
What, what?
Back to top Go down
k2500life
Veteran Member
k2500life
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: General Mayhem- Race Tractor   General Mayhem- Race Tractor Icon_minitimeAugust 16th 2013, 9:51 pm

Motor looks awesome what kinda paint did you use on the block
Back to top Go down
http://www.lastdropgarage.com
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: General Mayhem- Race Tractor   General Mayhem- Race Tractor Icon_minitimeAugust 16th 2013, 9:53 pm

Nothing fancy. High temp BBQ grill paint. Tremclad spray can.
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

PostSubject: Re: General Mayhem- Race Tractor   General Mayhem- Race Tractor Icon_minitimeAugust 16th 2013, 10:19 pm

Doc Sprocket wrote:
Murray modder wrote:
Doc Sprocket wrote:
Nope. There's already a pretty long run between the carb and the intake ports Longer would only hurt. Meanwhile, keep in mind that a classis "highrise" manifold is designed for a square-bore, 4-bbl carb- and it's purpose is to divert carb output equally amongst 2 banks of cylinders by keeping the 2 paths completely divided (2 levels)..

....What?
What, what?
" Longer would only hurt. Meanwhile, keep in mind that a classis "highrise" manifold is designed for a square-bore, 4-bbl carb- and it's purpose is to divert carb output equally amongst 2 banks of cylinders by keeping the 2 paths completely divided (2 levels)"...What?
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: General Mayhem- Race Tractor   General Mayhem- Race Tractor Icon_minitimeAugust 17th 2013, 6:24 am

What we have here, is a failure to communicate. Twice you quoted me, and wrote "what?". I know what I wrote. What I don't know, is what your question or concern actually is.
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

PostSubject: Re: General Mayhem- Race Tractor   General Mayhem- Race Tractor Icon_minitimeAugust 17th 2013, 9:30 pm

Doc Sprocket wrote:
What we have here, is a failure to communicate. Twice you quoted me, and wrote "what?". I know what I wrote. What I don't know, is what your question or concern actually is.
Sorry about that, you'd think working in the H.R. department at work would fix this. I couldn't comprehend what you were actually saying.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: General Mayhem- Race Tractor   General Mayhem- Race Tractor Icon_minitimeAugust 18th 2013, 7:52 am

Murray modder wrote:
Doc Sprocket wrote:
Sorry about that, you'd think working in the H.R. department at work would fix this. I couldn't comprehend what you were actually saying.
Meh- don't worry about it, it happens. That's one of the liabilities of text-based communication- sometimes it's just dead difficult to convey a thought, or comprehend someone else's.

I was hoping to make some progress on the General today, but I doubt it's going to happen. I picked up a couple of pulleys the other day, but my body (mine, not the Generals) has decided to be uncooperative...
Back to top Go down
TheBeal
Veteran Member
TheBeal
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: General Mayhem- Race Tractor   General Mayhem- Race Tractor Icon_minitimeAugust 18th 2013, 12:54 pm

If the rest of the tractor looks as good as the engine... Ill be looking forward to seeing it.
Looks good.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: General Mayhem- Race Tractor   General Mayhem- Race Tractor Icon_minitimeAugust 20th 2013, 1:59 pm

Thanks, Beal.

Made a bit more progress. I bought a couple pulleys and hubs to suit. (FWIW, 7" engine pulley and 1" weld-on hub, and 5 1/2" tranny pulley and 5/8" weld-on hub). Zapped them together and put 'em on.

I honestly can't remember which machine or deck this double-pulley clutch came off, but it's perfect for the job. V-pulley on one side, Idler on the other. It might have come from the MULE's original cutting deck.

After screwing around with the clutch location for awhile, I found what seemed a good place. Drilled a hole and installed a long bolt for it to pivot on. It's a bit tight in there- I have moved the engine back several inches from stock, and the transmission is further forward than I think I would prefer. Plus, I have the steering column, pitman arm, and drag link in the vicinity.

With the clutch in place and a spring to supply some tension, a grabbed an old belt, one that was too long. I cut the belt so I could overlap it. Fed it through all the pulleys and zip-tied it to itself at the right length.

After making sure I was sure (LOL) I put a single ziptie on one belt and took the whole thing off. With it off, I ziptied it back together again and put the belt on this handy-@ss belt gauge I picked up at a yard sale for $2. (belt on gauge for photo only, that's not the right size). Now that I know exactly which belt I need, I can go pick one up. Next, I have to make up some belt guides, and rig the clutch pedal and linkage.

General Mayhem- Race Tractor <a href=General Mayhem- Race Tractor Clutch2_zps6963f4a3" />

General Mayhem- Race Tractor Beltgauge_zps0d74a513
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: General Mayhem- Race Tractor   General Mayhem- Race Tractor Icon_minitimeAugust 20th 2013, 2:13 pm

Boy that belt measuring tool looks awful handy.

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: General Mayhem- Race Tractor   General Mayhem- Race Tractor Icon_minitimeAugust 20th 2013, 2:19 pm

You bet your belt it is!!! No guesswork- measure and go. No buying 3 or 4 and returning the wrong ones. I stopped at this sale one day and spotted it in a corner. I asked, and the guy wasn't even clear what it was. He asked for $2, and I whipped out the cash so fast my wallet smoked!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Mayhem- Race Tractor   General Mayhem- Race Tractor Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

General Mayhem- Race Tractor
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next