All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

go kart for a big man

Go down 
+2
ThatOneTeen
Knucklehead0617
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Knucklehead0617
Knucklehead0617

go kart for a big man Empty
PostSubject: go kart for a big man   go kart for a big man Icon_minitimeJuly 8th 2014, 6:07 pm

well this is my first post on here so I apologize in advance for my lack of computer skills. go kart for a big man 2429134702

I was out at a garage sale when I happen to come across this go kart frame. it is a homemade frame, and strong as heck. the rear tires are like new. it didn't come with a motor though. $200, I couldn't pass it up. I bought it for my uncle who wants me to build it up for him so that he has something to cruise around on down in south Carolina.

so far I have determined that the brake is froze up and that the front right rim is bent. it also has GM seatbelts so I am expecting a recall soon  lol! it originally had a cvt set up, but there is no primary clutch. the secondary looks pretty rough. I have bought a 420 predator, im just not sure what kind of drive set up I want on it yet. money is important, but im not going to half arse it either. a cvt set up would be great, but it is expensive to buy. a centrifugal clutch and direct chain drive seems cheapest, but im not sure how reliable it will be on this kart, with its size and weight.

another thing I found out is that the roll bar support is not going to let the engine mount up. I think im going to cut it out and weld in 2 supports on the side of the cage right to the side of the frame using some 1 inch square tubing.

my uncle also wants it painted up in marine corps red and gold, thus my cheesy nickname.... the marine.
go kart for a big man Img_4116
go kart for a big man Img_4115
go kart for a big man Img_4117
Back to top Go down
ThatOneTeen
ThatOneTeen

PostSubject: Re: go kart for a big man   go kart for a big man Icon_minitimeJuly 8th 2014, 7:08 pm

Welcome to the forums!

You are welcome to say and hang out but I think if you are looking for information on go karts or help, Go ahead and sign up at http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/ the guys over there will be happy to help with any go kart issues or questions you have
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: go kart for a big man   go kart for a big man Icon_minitimeJuly 8th 2014, 7:44 pm

Nice kart, you skills both on the computer and in the garage are looking a-ok to me! CVT will help that thing get up and go, good idea keeping it.
Back to top Go down
dwcopple

2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: go kart for a big man   go kart for a big man Icon_minitimeJuly 9th 2014, 8:43 am

where in MI are you? I am in Bay City
Back to top Go down
Knucklehead0617
Knucklehead0617

PostSubject: Re: go kart for a big man   go kart for a big man Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2014, 2:24 pm

got ahold of my uncle, aka the money source and owner of the kart, he wants to go all out. cvt it is!

got to doing a little cutting and chopping today on the go kart and my hand...... ive cut out the third support bar that was blocking the motor from sitting where it needed too.

the brake is now free, the only problem is the pedal wont return all the way back. I am just going to make a return spring setup like the one that is on the driver side.

progress is progress right.

and im in Monroe, 10 minutes from ohio basically
Back to top Go down
Knucklehead0617
Knucklehead0617

PostSubject: Re: go kart for a big man   go kart for a big man Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2014, 3:19 pm

go kart for a big man Img_4119
go kart for a big man Img_4120
go kart for a big man Img_4121
Back to top Go down
Knucklehead0617
Knucklehead0617

PostSubject: Re: go kart for a big man   go kart for a big man Icon_minitimeAugust 5th 2014, 6:20 pm

progress!!!

I had an issue for a while with something called life taking up all my time, but I have finally gotten a chance to work on the tank.
go kart for a big man Img_4310

I took out the jackshaft, axle, and seat. I was starting to strip it down for paint but then realized, "oh yeah, ive got some fabricating to do......."

i went to tractor supply and bought me some new chain just to be safe. i then went to the all mighty walmart and bought a battery and 2 quarts of oil for the engine. few hours later i had made up a battery tray with the not so reliable Hobart welder. it feeds the wire when it feels like it... at least that's my excuse for not making pretty welds.

go kart for a big man Img_4311
i just so happened to find some 1x1 angle iron in the mess of a place we call a barn.
go kart for a big man Img_4312
go kart for a big man Img_4313
i put a piece of scrap plate in for a make shift skid plate. the welder was not cooperating.
go kart for a big man Img_4314

almost finished product. just need to figure out how to secure it down. im thinking just a wide soft strap like the one i use in my racecar.

i love building stuff.

next on the list is ordering clutches, making tierods, light bar, some wiring, paint, lots and lots of man hours.... the basics
Back to top Go down
kawasaki220
Established Member
kawasaki220
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: go kart for a big man   go kart for a big man Icon_minitimeAugust 5th 2014, 8:11 pm

is that a suzuki 250 sport in the back their love the gokart man hay would you sell them tires that are on the gokart
Back to top Go down
Knucklehead0617
Knucklehead0617

PostSubject: Re: go kart for a big man   go kart for a big man Icon_minitimeAugust 6th 2014, 12:02 am

kawasaki220 wrote:
is that a suzuki 250 sport in the back their love the gokart man hay would you sell them tires that are on the gokart

That is a 2006 yfz 450, and it is nuckin futs to say the least. I am not interested In selling these tires, simply because they came with the go kart and I'm trying to keep things at low costs. I'd rather not part with them.
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: go kart for a big man   go kart for a big man Icon_minitimeAugust 26th 2014, 9:51 pm

Welds don't look all that bad considering having welding problems. My hobart gets messed up a little too recently. I think the trigger switch is getting worn out a little or something. Works good if your real direct about hitting it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: go kart for a big man   go kart for a big man Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

go kart for a big man
Page 1 of 1