All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Vtwin Ford Race Mower

Go down 
+10
Ghyde97
willis923
CornShuck4CE
craftsmancole
redlinemotorsportts
untrusty huskee
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Creepycrawler
kawasaki220
osiff
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
osiff

Vtwin Ford Race Mower - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vtwin Ford Race Mower   Vtwin Ford Race Mower - Page 3 Icon_minitimeNovember 13th 2014, 10:49 am

Is a 40 chain out of an 820? The mounts aren't completely welded in just a little to make it stronger I've just gotta cut the top (well bottom) welds. I'm gonna take it apart again to put the 40 chain in and I think I need some thinner grease because it's really hard to spin and I can hear the tackyness from the outside. I didn't pack it but I used bearing grease. Also I still can't decide what to use for brakes because I can't use kart brakes on one side with a differential because the other tire is free to spin but the rims are stuck on so if I put a kart caliper on it and lock the diff it'll be stuck on there (unless I cut it off).
Back to top Go down
1997 Murray
Veteran Member
1997 Murray
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Vtwin Ford Race Mower   Vtwin Ford Race Mower - Page 3 Icon_minitimeNovember 13th 2014, 11:35 am

I think it is a go-cart chain, peerless only used 41. http://www.bmikarts.com/Chain--Purchase-by-the-Foot-_p_635.html you can buy it here.
Back to top Go down
osiff

PostSubject: Re: Vtwin Ford Race Mower   Vtwin Ford Race Mower - Page 3 Icon_minitimeDecember 8th 2014, 11:09 am

Bought some parts from bmi.
Vtwin Ford Race Mower - Page 3 Screen10
I'm gonna be welding the kart spindles on a mower front axle using the 6" bearing wheels and hooking everything together with the tie rods.
So to go:
•Put front end together
•Fit the chain in the transaxle and reassemble with the good bearings (and turn it around because it was backwards)
•Shifter and brake linkage
•Flip it over and get started on motor things and seat
•Finishing touches - paint and electronics (gonna mount a 12v outlet on this one and my offroader)
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Vtwin Ford Race Mower   Vtwin Ford Race Mower - Page 3 Icon_minitimeDecember 8th 2014, 11:25 am

Check into KPI, camber, caster, accermann and how it can effect your steering. Karts are close to how mowers should be in steering geometry. Some of those can really effect the quality if steering.

Good web page to use as a guide: http://blog.kartbuilding.net/2007/07/12/steering-geometry-and-setup-for-go-karts/
Back to top Go down
osiff

PostSubject: Re: Vtwin Ford Race Mower   Vtwin Ford Race Mower - Page 3 Icon_minitimeDecember 18th 2014, 11:29 am

Reeeaally sorry about this but...
Vtwin Ford Race Mower - Page 3 20141210
Picked this and a 12hp flatty for $100 so I guess I'll have to change the title... if I can get it to run!! It apparently sat for awhile and I can see some rust down in the carb so I believe the guy. bounce It's an 18 horse while the vtwin is a 14 I was thinking I'll probably need a little more ass anyway.
Anyhow I put my front axle together.
Vtwin Ford Race Mower - Page 3 20141212
And had to grind the welds down more on my custom part.
Vtwin Ford Race Mower - Page 3 20141211
My friend took the one flat tire I had off the rim so I can tube it. The transaxle should be going back together for good soon. Then I'll be rolling. tongue
Back to top Go down
osiff

PostSubject: Re: Vtwin Ford Race Mower   Vtwin Ford Race Mower - Page 3 Icon_minitimeDecember 28th 2014, 2:33 pm

So I've been real busy on this thing despite the lack of posts.
First off reassembled the transaxle put good bearings in and welded diff. It spins much easier after taking some of the thick grease out and mixing some thinner stuff in.
Vtwin Ford Race Mower - Page 3 20141213
Next I mounted the thing the way it actually has to go. Vtwin Ford Race Mower - Page 3 2429134702
Vtwin Ford Race Mower - Page 3 20141214
Welded on the front axle and now for your viewing pleasure...
Vtwin Ford Race Mower - Page 3 20141217 santa
Vtwin Ford Race Mower - Page 3 20141216
Just recently hooked up tie rods (I still have to go from steering arm to front end) and started figuring out the shifter.
Vtwin Ford Race Mower - Page 3 20141218
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vtwin Ford Race Mower   Vtwin Ford Race Mower - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Vtwin Ford Race Mower
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2