All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel?

Go down 
+15
Thunderdivine
crafsmankiller
greener179
Stretch44875
W1ldyOvvnZ
Chopperhed
Bandit1
canadianromper
CraftsMAN
redzz02
Jordan
Jamus
NZHproduction
blanket80
madmowerz
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
madmowerz

mower - Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel? Empty
PostSubject: Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel?   mower - Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel? Icon_minitimeApril 7th 2011, 2:46 pm

hey guys! i was wondering your opinoins on this. if i where to build a air tight snorkel for my briggs 11hp on my mudder if you think i could take it in water above the flywheel. do you think as soon as water touched the flywheel it would stall because of the tremendous load put on it from water? id emagin it would turn it into a giant water pump. and as we all know. water is much thicker than air so im wondering if it would just stop the engine..... what do you think?
Back to top Go down
blanket80
blanket80

PostSubject: Re: Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel?   mower - Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel? Icon_minitimeApril 7th 2011, 3:27 pm

if you could make it air tight, and keep the coil wires from cutting out, it might handle it. i've had water up to the carb before and it only stalled from water in the carb.
Back to top Go down
NZHproduction
NZHproduction

PostSubject: Re: Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel?   mower - Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel? Icon_minitimeApril 7th 2011, 5:16 pm

ya but you need to make all the electrical waterproof
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel?   mower - Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel? Icon_minitimeApril 7th 2011, 5:28 pm

That's a lot easier to do once you strip down the wiring to just the basics. I was amazed at the rats nest that I replaced with just a few wires when I redid my wiring. All those safety switches and junk.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com
Jordan
Jordan

PostSubject: Re: Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel?   mower - Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel? Icon_minitimeApril 7th 2011, 8:53 pm

the amperage isnt high enough to short anything out, only thing is the sparkplug wire
but a buddy of mine said he put a 4 foot tall snorkle on an old snapper RER and he let it go on its own through 5 feet of water all he could see was the top of the snorkle through most of it and it ran fine the whole way
Back to top Go down
redzz02
Site VIP
redzz02
Site VIP

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2015
1st Place Winner Build-Off 2015
1st Place Build-Off 2017
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2017
1st Place Build-Off 2018
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2018

PostSubject: Re: Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel?   mower - Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel? Icon_minitimeApril 7th 2011, 9:07 pm

try it, ihavent made my snorkel yet or i would already know if you can or not, make sure you have a high mount exhaust to like a stack atleast the hight of your snorkel so it you do stall your motor doesnt fill with water. also keep rmps high, slowly go into the water the first time. waterproof the electronis, and dont forget to add the crank breather into the snorkel dont want a water filled block
Back to top Go down
CraftsMAN
CraftsMAN

PostSubject: Re: Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel?   mower - Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel? Icon_minitimeApril 9th 2011, 4:21 pm

I never thought about making a snorkel... I did not think I would ever need one as I never go through water higher than my clutch peddle.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/CRUSHEMCustoms/
canadianromper
canadianromper

PostSubject: Re: Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel?   mower - Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel? Icon_minitimeNovember 30th 2011, 6:43 pm

i dont know if i would need one because the highest whater ive had on my roper is over the front wheels and i only have turf tires and it made it
Back to top Go down
Bandit1
Bandit1

PostSubject: Re: Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel?   mower - Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel? Icon_minitimeFebruary 25th 2013, 10:22 pm

I put a snorkel on mine and it works great. It did bog it down a little and i had water right over my hood. But that was before i did a pully swap which adds a lot of load on the mower so i am sure it would kill my mower if i tried to do it now.
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel?   mower - Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel? Icon_minitimeFebruary 25th 2013, 10:34 pm

To Snorkel or Not to snorkel.

That is the question.

A magentic field generates a current whether its wet or dry.

Water may dampen it or not, I aint no engineer

The trick is keeping the ignition dry and sealed. A liberal coating of silicone will help with that.

Any snorkels should be constructed of tubing built larger than the stock exhaust or intake

and both should be snorkelled.

As for the fan. Keep the revs up, it's designed to move air, it will move water even better, but it will load the engine down.

Also, any vents on the driveline, and air intake system (including carb) should be routed to the top of your snorkel

Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel?   mower - Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel? Icon_minitimeFebruary 25th 2013, 11:58 pm

Our ATV's used to be mudded and we had them above the handle bars with a snorkel but like Chopperhed said, route any vent lines up or else you will have problems...we weren't able to find the vent line for out front diff on our TRX350 but the water could and it cost us a front diff which isn't cheap(was cheaper to buy an entire parts bike). We also used a Silicone spray and every time we went for a drive we would spray all the ignition system connections, etc. with it and we never had a problem except when the electric rad fan wouldn't turn on so we had to wire it in with a switch directly to the battery.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stat10.tk/
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel?   mower - Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel? Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2013, 7:17 am

Just need a good spark plug boot. If it stays dry, it will run.
Back to top Go down
Bandit1
Bandit1

PostSubject: Re: Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel?   mower - Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel? Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2013, 10:07 am

I put grease in the spark plug boot to stop the water from shorting it out. As for the all of the plugs i used liquid tape. I also moved the starter selnoid to the top of my mower.
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel?   mower - Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel? Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2013, 11:38 am

Bandit1 wrote:
I also moved the starter selnoid to the top of my mower.

Good Idea

A buddy and I were out four wheeling one day and he sank the nose of his truck in a narrow creek.

He was using a Warn electric winch with the solenoids on the bumper.

The winch worked, but once water got in the solenoids, they went to full power and basically wound all his cable out before he cut the wire.

I had the solenoids for my winch up under the hood and never had the problem.

I betting that older solenoids might do the same thing.

Basically your starter would kick in until it lost power.

Back to top Go down
greener179
greener179

PostSubject: Re: Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel?   mower - Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel? Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2013, 11:59 am

Couldnt you just bypass the silinod with a water restiant toggel switch that could handle the amps?
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel?   mower - Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel? Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2013, 12:04 pm

Sure, go find a 200 amp rated waterproof switch. I haven't heard of one, but they might make it.
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel?   mower - Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel? Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2013, 12:13 pm

Stretch44875 wrote:
Sure, go find a 200 amp rated waterproof switch. I haven't heard of one, but they might make it.

You don't need 200 Amps

I use a sealed 60 amp pushbutton to start my 750, and it works just fine.
Back to top Go down
crafsmankiller

PostSubject: Re: Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel?   mower - Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel? Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2013, 4:14 pm

yeah 60 Amp would work, but water intensifies electricity, hence needing a higher Amp switch.
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel?   mower - Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel? Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2013, 4:29 pm

Well I have a boat, there's tons of 200amp rated switches for marine use, but why would u need one for fresh water. And where would you use the switch?
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel?   mower - Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel? Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2013, 4:51 pm

Thunderdivine wrote:
Well I have a boat, there's tons of 200amp rated switches for marine use, but why would u need one for fresh water. And where would you use the switch?

Water is water it still conducts electrity.

The switch would be wired in place of the solenoid. eliminating the start portion of the ignition switch

Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel?   mower - Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel? Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2013, 5:02 pm

Well..... technically, water does not conduct electricity. If you take distilled water, and test resistance across it, there is no connection at all. Add just a couple grains of salt, and you have instant conductivity.

Outside of lab environments, Chopper is right though LOL

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel?   mower - Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel? Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2013, 5:04 pm

Chopperhed wrote:
Thunderdivine wrote:

Water is water it still conducts electrity.

The switch would be wired in place of the solenoid. eliminating the start portion of the ignition switch

Yea kinda, DC 12v will work in freshwater for long time, but not when we talk about high voltage AC. And also higher voltage DC like coils and so on.
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel?   mower - Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel? Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2013, 5:07 pm

TheRainbowBoxer wrote:
Well..... technically, water does not conduct electricity. If you take distilled water, and test resistance across it, there is no connection at all. Add just a couple grains of salt, and you have instant conductivity.

Outside of lab environments, Chopper is right though LOL

True that, I always throw that in the face to Audio freaks that always want they're GOLD connections. Nothing's better than copper and silver. Silver maybe the best but too expensive.
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel?   mower - Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel? Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2013, 5:09 pm

Also since most tractors at least what I've read, most of our tractors are - to chassis, then it would be easy to isolate the + side in waterproof boxes with only the + side switched.

Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel?   mower - Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel? Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2013, 5:15 pm

Yeah you can do it with a normal high current switch but doing that means you have a very high current traveling very close to you, if it got wet enough the full current capacity could travel through the water and the second you touch that switch, you'll get fried.

That technically is no reason to use a solenoid. But it's the safest way when dealing with high currents. Remember, It's the Current that harms and kills you, Not Voltage.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel?   mower - Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can a mower run under water with a Snorkel?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next