All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

trany whine

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
mudman604

2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

trany whine Empty
PostSubject: trany whine   trany whine Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2015 3:29 pm

so, Im back after some time, and the reason, is interesting. a weekend ago, i broke my tractor, i found the left wheel about 4-5 inches out more than it should, the double C clips came off and let it slide out, the weedless locker still held, cus i drove it before i realized the problem. i take it apart, weld the gear to the axle, find some nice scoring in a non bearing area, any way, RTV it, let it dry, put ABOUT 20 oz of gear oil, cuz there was some surprising amount of where marks in other places, and put it in. NOW it drives fine, but there is a loud whine to it that was not there before. it only happens when the engine is driving, if im at speed, clutch IN (engaged IDK which is which) i get the whine, BUT if i pull out the clutch, and coast, its quiet. i do think there is a little bit of internal pressure due inserting the plug, but i cant figure it out. what could be causing this?
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

trany whine Empty
PostSubject: Re: trany whine   trany whine Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2015 7:09 pm

Not sure why it would make more noise now than before. Maybe a shaft or something warped slightly from welding. As long as everything turns easy though, I don't think it would be anything to worry about.
Back to top Go down
mudman604

2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

trany whine Empty
PostSubject: Re: trany whine   trany whine Icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2015 8:28 am

IDK, iv been driving it every once in a while, and nothing wrong. i might be getting used to it. Very Happy the only thing i welded the spider gear to the shaft, tacking it 3 times, then finishing up the beads. but it works perfect. but hey, only tell tail is time! Sleep
Back to top Go down
rarbaugh07
rarbaugh07

trany whine Empty
PostSubject: Re: trany whine   trany whine Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2015 3:18 pm

Did you switch from grease to gear oil?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

trany whine Empty
PostSubject: Re: trany whine   trany whine Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

trany whine
Page 1 of 1