All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

1998 mtd yard machine garden tractor

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Cityslickerbuilds
Cityslickerbuilds

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist

tractor - 1998 mtd yard machine garden tractor Empty
PostSubject: 1998 mtd yard machine garden tractor   tractor - 1998 mtd yard machine garden tractor Icon_minitimeJune 27th 2016, 9:36 pm

I have a 1998 mtd yard machine estate series garden tractor with the varidrive system. It also has the 7 speed automatic shifter on the left fender. I am in need of new tires and thinking about setting them up in size. The only issue I can I will run into is the 7 speed shifter in the fender. Would it be an issue to cut this shifter arm off?
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Veteran Member
prancstaman
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

tractor - 1998 mtd yard machine garden tractor Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1998 mtd yard machine garden tractor   tractor - 1998 mtd yard machine garden tractor Icon_minitimeJune 27th 2016, 9:53 pm

If you cut it off, you won't be able to shift let alone hold it into gear. The notches on the fender pick the pulley ratio on the varidrive. The fender is part of the varidrive setup. I suggest to learn the system first and how to maintain it before modifying it. Need to learn how to adjust the clutch, if you learn that then you could use a MAP torch to bend the shifter rod around the new set of tires which means you will need to know how to readjust the clutch to get it working again.
Back to top Go down

1998 mtd yard machine garden tractor
Page 1 of 1