All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Tractorhead says Hello

Go down 
4 posters

Wide or narrow?
Original yellow rear wheels, shallow dish so narrow or
Tractorhead says Hello I_vote_lcap0%Tractorhead says Hello I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
White rear wheels, deeper dish so wider track.
Tractorhead says Hello I_vote_lcap50%Tractorhead says Hello I_vote_rcap
 50% [ 1 ]
Original narrow yellow front rims or
Tractorhead says Hello I_vote_lcap0%Tractorhead says Hello I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Wider white front wheels?
Tractorhead says Hello I_vote_lcap50%Tractorhead says Hello I_vote_rcap
 50% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 2

AuthorMessage
Tractorhead
Tractorhead

2016 Build-Off Finalist
2016 Build-Off Finalist

Tractorhead says Hello Empty
PostSubject: Tractorhead says Hello   Tractorhead says Hello Icon_minitimeJuly 12th 2016, 3:40 am

Morning Gang, quick intro to me ~ my first ride-on mower about 4 years back was a 1982 Westwood with Briggs engine, ugly little fecker used for smashing brambles down on my smallholding.  "makes mowing the lawn fun" a friend said and he was right.
Then I accidentally bought an old tube frame Bolens with Lister Diesel and hydro drive. Fun but slow and noisy as...
More recently I've got a small Roper, not for the lawn, just for fun, ispired by Fearlessfront's Sears.  It's the smaller version so the engine sits lower, more stable in theory but you lose ground clearance as a payoff.  Steering rods very vulnerable so a shield needed.  Plan to put a Yanmar 10hp diesel in. I think it'll fit Shocked  I've already painted the easy bits dark brown, mostly because I had a tin of dark brown but also I think it'll look good and be a good base colour for rust effect paint later maybe. It left the factory red with white hood but by the time I got it was green with yellow wheels Embarassed
Non runner. I took out the spark plug and pulled the start cord. A cloud of orange dust blew out with a scratchy noise.  Junk, so easy decision to go diesel.
I've also got an Allen Roper RT13 which is a Sears Suburban by another name. That one stays as it is Very Happy I'd add a pic but photobucket is almost unusable due to parasitic advertising ***** popups. Laters tongue

Last edited by Tractorhead on July 12th 2016, 4:15 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot the Bolens...)
Back to top Go down
Ryf

2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Tractorhead says Hello   Tractorhead says Hello Icon_minitimeJuly 12th 2016, 6:00 am

welcome! would love to see pics
Back to top Go down
Tractorhead
Tractorhead

2016 Build-Off Finalist
2016 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: Tractorhead says Hello   Tractorhead says Hello Icon_minitimeJuly 12th 2016, 1:46 pm

Tractorhead says Hello Pbucket
Here's one of the Allen Roper. I am getting the photobucket app right now so more to come soon ok.
Cheers
Back to top Go down
Ryf

2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Tractorhead says Hello   Tractorhead says Hello Icon_minitimeJuly 12th 2016, 8:24 pm

nice, that looks like a great trailer tug, thanks for sharing
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Tractorhead says Hello   Tractorhead says Hello Icon_minitimeJuly 13th 2016, 1:41 am

Yeah photobucket is a pain for ads. Welcome! Nice little machine. Looks pretty much like a sears custom I guess. Maybe same frame.
Back to top Go down
Tractorhead
Tractorhead

2016 Build-Off Finalist
2016 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: Tractorhead says Hello   Tractorhead says Hello Icon_minitimeJuly 13th 2016, 2:38 am

Tractorhead says Hello E5760737-5723-46CE-BE3C-DF8EF5EBD1D9
Tractorhead says Hello 16F1B0D0-5A2B-40E2-8327-5EF799E80B20
Tractorhead says Hello 0BD31C25-68F9-478C-B4DC-052B950642CE
Tractorhead says Hello 598156E2-565C-4B8B-AE70-D2110336DF50
Back to top Go down
Tractorhead
Tractorhead

2016 Build-Off Finalist
2016 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: Tractorhead says Hello   Tractorhead says Hello Icon_minitimeJuly 13th 2016, 5:39 am

mr.modified wrote:
Nice little machine. Looks pretty much like a sears custom I guess. Maybe same frame.
Yep seems the back half is pretty much identical to a suburban, only detail differences, then it's a shorter dash and dropped engine frame keeping available engine height the same but lower centre of gravity. Against that is less ground clearance but you got the droopy old transaxle at the back anyway, swings and roundabouts Laughing
Still not sure about brakes
Tractorhead says Hello ACF6E26E-B938-4F7F-947E-E67F7D70EB4B
I've taken the brake bands off both Ropers and given them to Friction Services, a company that relines brake shoes etc. In about a week they'll come back with fresh friction material bonded on then I can test the RT13 see how decent factory brakes behave. I liked your disc upgrade of the Baja Sears, would you recommend? But unless I lock the Diff I'd need discs both sides and it starts to get silly. My brother says have independent tickle brakes but that's Crazy Talk, in full panic you want to just stamp on the pedal Laughing Chrysler Voyager has correct stud pattern but the discs are so much heavier than is needed. If I had the funds I'd have them thinned down and use a smaller motorbike caliper but hey... cyclops it's the stuff of dreams.
I wonder if simple cable operated cam caliper from a mountain bike would work? On a big diameter disc it would have more effect.  Anyone tried it?
Btw photobucket app is worth getting, doesn't have the ad pollution of their website (if you're on a smartphone) Basketball
Back to top Go down
Tractorhead
Tractorhead

2016 Build-Off Finalist
2016 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: Tractorhead says Hello   Tractorhead says Hello Icon_minitimeJuly 13th 2016, 5:49 am

Ryf wrote:
nice, that looks like a great trailer tug, thanks for sharing
Thanks. Tractorhead says Hello 7E40C055-7F43-4F22-BBDC-47633FA6A5F1_1yep, just for you ~ a pic of the old Roper on trailer duty Razz
Back to top Go down
sadeoo7
sadeoo7

PostSubject: Re: Tractorhead says Hello   Tractorhead says Hello Icon_minitimeJuly 14th 2016, 2:14 pm

i think i just bought the same tractor as your roper but mine came with the snow blower it feels like a beast haha. nice find ! and welcome !
Back to top Go down
http://gdftech.com
Tractorhead
Tractorhead

2016 Build-Off Finalist
2016 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: Tractorhead says Hello   Tractorhead says Hello Icon_minitimeJuly 14th 2016, 5:46 pm

sadeoo7 wrote:
mine came with the snow blower it feels like a beast haha. nice find ! and welcome !
Thanks, beast for sure Very Happy No snowblowers here, not enough snow Sad  mine came with a massive 3 blade cutter deck in decent nick though.  Too much fun booting around as it is so I doubt it'll ever get fitted Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tractorhead says Hello   Tractorhead says Hello Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tractorhead says Hello
Page 1 of 1