All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

hello from new brunswick

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
88ss408

hello from new brunswick Empty
PostSubject: hello from new brunswick   hello from new brunswick Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2016, 11:14 am

hey guys. i just retired my 95 mtd yardman from its cutting dutys
and then saw some guys on youtube building mud tractors with these
things and i though. hey thats interesting! so here i am.
so far i striped all mowing stuff off the tractor.
and then i need to look in to possibley a belt or trans problem?
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: hello from new brunswick   hello from new brunswick Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2016, 11:27 am

Depends on what transaxle it has. If it is a hydrostatic drive, you should start looking for a new transaxle or a whole tractor. if it is a varidrive, (FNR shifter and a speed shifter) then it will be ok as-is, but they aren't very durable and lots of opportunity for belt slip. And *these are very rare* if you have one with a peerless, pulley swap and go. My friend found an MTD Ranch King with a factory peerless 801, we looked on the MTD website and there isn't even a record of having built it.

Also, welcome!
Back to top Go down
88ss408

PostSubject: Re: hello from new brunswick   hello from new brunswick Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2016, 12:21 pm

Thanks. Again from YouTube research I see its what is called the FNR trans.
I think that's one of the less desirable trans for the hole mud thing?
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: hello from new brunswick   hello from new brunswick Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2016, 12:41 pm

Yes the transaxle is fairly weak, and with two belts and the variable drive pulley, it slips bad when its wet. I would look for a peerless MST or 900 series. They should fit the chassis without too much modification and just gut out the whole varidrive system and run one belt with a normal clutch. Fair amount of work, but if you can't find another or you want to do something a little different, its doable.

Redlinemotorsportts put a peerless in his MTD a few years ago, but I haven't heard of anyone else doing it. Anyone else?
Back to top Go down
MatthewD
Veteran Member
MatthewD
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: hello from new brunswick   hello from new brunswick Icon_minitimeOctober 11th 2016, 3:21 pm

I've definitely seen a few people convert from Vari-drive on this forum but I can't seem to find any of those threads now. I will have another look sometime.

I also would like to point out that if you can't get a Peerless, a Foote/Spicer would be nearly as good. I've looked into this a few times and there aren't really that many differences. The case is weaker though. It would at least be better than the Vari-drive and weak FNR trans.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: hello from new brunswick   hello from new brunswick Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

hello from new brunswick
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: New Member Forum :: Introduce Yourself Here!-
Jump to: