All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

How good are the older craftsmans?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Dustin138
Dustin138

How good are the older craftsmans? Empty
PostSubject: How good are the older craftsmans?   How good are the older craftsmans? Icon_minitimeSeptember 1st 2011, 1:28 am

i found an older craftsman (the ones with the all metal and silver hoods). How good are the for offroad and mudding? I was thinking of getting this one to replace my newer one. and since this mower has been sitting on its side for quite a while now the engine is probably bad, how hard is it to put in a working engine.
Back to top Go down
arild365
arild365

PostSubject: Re: How good are the older craftsmans?   How good are the older craftsmans? Icon_minitimeSeptember 1st 2011, 10:59 am

dude you just hit a jackpot man!! Razz Those things are one of the best for modding/ off roading!! There very easy to mod! Im just about to upload a video of putting huge tires on my buddys tractor and its an older cratfsman.

Im guessing a 5 speed foote trans with a 12 hp? I say pulley swap that 5spd (there pretty good trans) and put a 12.5 I/C gold briggs in. very easy to change.

good luck with her and hope too see more.

thanks, Arild
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/arild365
Dustin138
Dustin138

PostSubject: Re: How good are the older craftsmans?   How good are the older craftsmans? Icon_minitimeSeptember 1st 2011, 12:04 pm

when i get the lawnmower hopefully i can find a good engine. i might be able to find an engine , my grandma has a few lawn tractors sittting around . i will have to take a look at the cubcadet she has sitting next to her house. thyat one i think has a good engine.
Back to top Go down
Dustin138
Dustin138

PostSubject: Re: How good are the older craftsmans?   How good are the older craftsmans? Icon_minitimeSeptember 18th 2011, 2:00 pm

well it turned out that the craftsman had a bad trans-axel. so i got a White lawn tractor. its a 7 speed and has a 12hp briggs and stratton
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: How good are the older craftsmans?   How good are the older craftsmans? Icon_minitimeSeptember 18th 2011, 2:25 pm

MTD's dont have a transmission - they have a transaxle - a single speed trans. The gear ratio is in a variable pulley in the center of the tractor.

MTD transaxles are simple- it could be easily locked, however using oil in them is not an option- itll leak right out, only option is using grease- i did that in my mod MTD- drilled it for some zerk fittings.

On the other hand, a manual could be swapped into a MTD, they have plenty of room in the chassis.
Back to top Go down
Dustin138
Dustin138

PostSubject: Re: How good are the older craftsmans?   How good are the older craftsmans? Icon_minitimeSeptember 18th 2011, 3:25 pm

So they can't be pulley swapped?
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: How good are the older craftsmans?   How good are the older craftsmans? Icon_minitimeSeptember 18th 2011, 6:17 pm

I swapped pulleys on my mod MTD , trying to get it faster - did a 6" on the motor and a 4" on the trans ,
i didnt see much improvement in speed and had belt issues ( due to a pulley allignment issue) . However, on my stock MTD, the thing goes like a banshee- im thinking its due to too short of rear belt.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How good are the older craftsmans?   How good are the older craftsmans? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How good are the older craftsmans?
Page 1 of 1