All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Advice/info needed on snow pusher project. Check it out...

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
shibby

Advice/info needed on snow pusher project. Check it out... Empty
PostSubject: Advice/info needed on snow pusher project. Check it out...   Advice/info needed on snow pusher project. Check it out... Icon_minitimeFebruary 17th 2021, 1:38 pm

Hey guys, here's the deal...

I want to make a good snow pusher. My sister lives alone, so the plan was to make something out of a lawn tractor so she can plow her big driveway. My thinking was to basically modify an existing lawn tractor so it kind of becomes a skid-steer. In addition to adding brakes on each side of the rear drive axle, I was also thinking of adding two sprockets to those axles, and running a chain up to the front wheels to have "4WD." The front axles would just be solidly mounted (no steering), independently of each other. So they're all being 'driven', but when you brake one side, both the front and rear wheels on one side stop, making it turn (like a skid-steer). Of course I'd add some weight, and some aggressive ATV mud tires. I plow my driveway with a 4WD ATV, and it's literally unstoppable.

Now, I know there's probably a lot of other easier options, like using a 4WD ATV, using a 2wd tractor with chains and weights, etc. But my thinking here is that lawn tractors are a dime a dozen, and so are the transaxles. When people blow the motors, they basically give them away. So the build would be very cheap, and if/when a motor or transaxle blows up in it, it's cheap/easy to just drop another in. Simplicity is what I'm after which is why I like the hydrostatic automatic. She just has to start it up, and use a pedal for forward, and a pedal for reverse. No gear shifting, etc. Very simple. Maybe build a cab on it and add heat if it all works out well?

I guess I'm asking what you all think. Does this sound like it would work? Would braking one side work to make it turn? Could the transaxle handle this? Who makes the best/strongest hydrostatic automatic? It'll only be used 3-5 times a year during the winter, so it won't get a lot of abuse.

Of course I love making things too, so there's that. Very Happy

What ya think? Stupid idea? lol

Thanks! Smile
Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Advice/info needed on snow pusher project. Check it out...   Advice/info needed on snow pusher project. Check it out... Icon_minitimeFebruary 17th 2021, 4:08 pm

I think it would work. Hydros are simple and they are pretty common as you said. The downside is that in my experience they don’t put out as much power as a geared transmission. That said I think they work better for plowing because you aren’t constantly clutching. I know that some also have auxiliary functions that you could use to control your snow pusher. My 2055 white has a peerless 2500 series (model is 2526).
Advice/info needed on snow pusher project. Check it out... 0563b810

It’s a 2 speed hydro that will drag a 600 lb tree up a 8% grade in high gear so power probably won’t be an issue there. With the sprockets I would recommend locking the front axle like you said and making some tracks out of junk tires. You will get better traction and it will also not need to have the chain oiled.

The other option that might be fun but more work is that there are steered transaxles (not nearly as powerful or as durable but good enough) that you could mount on the front. It has been done before, but it is a lot of work and it can be challenging to source these transaxles.

Also 2wd lawn/garden tractors will certainly do the job. Mine has blowed through 2 feet of snow no problem. The disadvantage of LTs/GTs is that they are light, LTs are only 4-500 lbs and most GTs max out at 1000 lbs, so if you get a standard GT load the tires and add another 100 lbs of weight on top.
Here is my rig and when Ice isn’t a problem it does just fine, chains are needed though and irreplaceable on ice. Advice/info needed on snow pusher project. Check it out... 7deaff10
Advice/info needed on snow pusher project. Check it out... 68b10f10

Hope this helps you out. YouTube search Isavetractors if you want to know more on how the GTs do in snow, he has done a lot on it. Good luck with your project, I’m interested to see what you do!

(PS- old junk hot water tanks would be a good solution to make a pusher, they are given away quite regularly)
Edit: As far as what model GTs to find the 2500s, look for the 1655, 1855, 2055 whites or some similar looking Yardmans of the same design)
Back to top Go down
shibby

PostSubject: Re: Advice/info needed on snow pusher project. Check it out...   Advice/info needed on snow pusher project. Check it out... Icon_minitimeFebruary 18th 2021, 3:01 am

Thanks so much for the input! Very nice tractor you got there! I love the older machines.

I've thought about making it with tracks. I don't know, that might be a little more than I want to get into right now. lol Maybe another future project. Very Happy

The one thing I'll be looking for in a tractor is the step-through design. Trying to make it as simple as possible to get on, and operate. I know the tractors with 'humps' down the middle are built stronger, but the step-through would be perfect for this project.

Thanks again for all the help, I really appreciate it! If anyone else has any opinions on if the transaxle will handle this, or if it will work at all, I'd love to hear your opinions! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advice/info needed on snow pusher project. Check it out...   Advice/info needed on snow pusher project. Check it out... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Advice/info needed on snow pusher project. Check it out...
Page 1 of 1