All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

How much weight can a 12hp Briggs pull?

Go down 
+2
AcreFarm
canadianromper
6 posters
AuthorMessage
canadianromper
canadianromper

PULL - How much weight can a 12hp Briggs pull? Empty
PostSubject: How much weight can a 12hp Briggs pull?   PULL - How much weight can a 12hp Briggs pull? Icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2011, 8:54 pm

i have a 12 horse powere briggs and i was wondering on how much it would be able to pull
Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: How much weight can a 12hp Briggs pull?   PULL - How much weight can a 12hp Briggs pull? Icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2011, 9:26 pm

That question would depend on what that engine is in (how strong the driveline is) and how much traction you can put down. Weight & tire type would be key...
What do you want to pull?
Back to top Go down
canadianromper
canadianromper

PostSubject: Re: How much weight can a 12hp Briggs pull?   PULL - How much weight can a 12hp Briggs pull? Icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2011, 9:29 pm

well we have a traler that is farley big and i would like to haul our wood with it and im scared that if i maby pull to much it will damage my trany or my engine
Back to top Go down
Plyxrs
Plyxrs

PostSubject: Re: How much weight can a 12hp Briggs pull?   PULL - How much weight can a 12hp Briggs pull? Icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2011, 9:39 pm

in my opinion id only be worried about, making sure there is air in ur tires.. cuz to low and you could cause the walls to crack, to much cause a blow out because of weight on the trailer. make sure ur tow spot on the tractor isnt bending. make sure you keep her in a lower gear like 3 maybe 4th, and dont rev ur engine all the way up but dont keep her low. keep her just over half throttle, and only other thing would be ur belt possibly stretching but there easy to change and only about $15 depending on the place you go to. other then that i wouldnt worry about the tranny because the belt is gonna stretch and slip before ur tranny gives. hope this helps bud!
Back to top Go down
Plyxrs
Plyxrs

PostSubject: Re: How much weight can a 12hp Briggs pull?   PULL - How much weight can a 12hp Briggs pull? Icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2011, 9:40 pm

oh and in case ur wondering, ur belt will just stretch over time.. wont happen at first. i pull my 18ft starcraft boat with mine.. iv pulled it around the yard all year round and havent changed a belt yet. keep in mind were lookin at about 2000 pounds there.
Back to top Go down
canadianromper
canadianromper

PostSubject: Re: How much weight can a 12hp Briggs pull?   PULL - How much weight can a 12hp Briggs pull? Icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2011, 9:50 pm

thanks i just want it to be able to pull a trailer SAFLEY without breaking anything because i work on a farm with my pappa and we haul some stuff with our old fourweeler and it is starting to get to smoke if you pull somting heavy with it because i was pulling our small rake with it and it stated to smoke and i was wondering if it would pull that. it's not a big rake at all i can pull it on my own.
Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: How much weight can a 12hp Briggs pull?   PULL - How much weight can a 12hp Briggs pull? Icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2011, 9:53 pm

I think you will lose traction long before you damage anything... even a belt. Wink
Back to top Go down
canadianromper
canadianromper

PostSubject: Re: How much weight can a 12hp Briggs pull?   PULL - How much weight can a 12hp Briggs pull? Icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2011, 9:55 pm

ya hopefully i just ddn't want to break my engine or my tranny when im pulling
Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: How much weight can a 12hp Briggs pull?   PULL - How much weight can a 12hp Briggs pull? Icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2011, 9:58 pm

If the engine bogs down & stalls, or the tractor stands up then stop lol ...otherwise give her hell
Back to top Go down
canadianromper
canadianromper

PostSubject: Re: How much weight can a 12hp Briggs pull?   PULL - How much weight can a 12hp Briggs pull? Icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2011, 10:02 pm

is only has stock speed until i get some other puleys and then i can get my parents wored about that
lol
Back to top Go down
canadianromper
canadianromper

PostSubject: Re: How much weight can a 12hp Briggs pull?   PULL - How much weight can a 12hp Briggs pull? Icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2011, 10:18 pm

o and also what would be the max wait 4 a lawn tractor to pull
Back to top Go down
Plyxrs
Plyxrs

PostSubject: Re: How much weight can a 12hp Briggs pull?   PULL - How much weight can a 12hp Briggs pull? Icon_minitimeDecember 10th 2011, 1:51 am

idk about the max you could tow.. like i stated i pulled my 2000 pound boat with mine.. lol
Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: How much weight can a 12hp Briggs pull?   PULL - How much weight can a 12hp Briggs pull? Icon_minitimeDecember 10th 2011, 1:48 pm

The most I've pulled with an LT is a round bale & wagon, so figure around a ton. I've used GTs to move alot more than that. A big concern is how much you can stop on a hill... if you're working on flat land it's not much of an issue.
Back to top Go down
CityRedneck
CityRedneck

PostSubject: Re: How much weight can a 12hp Briggs pull?   PULL - How much weight can a 12hp Briggs pull? Icon_minitimeDecember 10th 2011, 9:57 pm

yea its hard to say how much it can pull. I know a guy whos tractor is stock and can drag his minivan while in park and E brake on. (obviously the tires spin but still) when i go mudding i pull down small trees (4inches thick at most) and but i depends on your engine. mines 21hp so i have ALOT of tire to ground torque
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: towing??????   PULL - How much weight can a 12hp Briggs pull? Icon_minitimeDecember 11th 2011, 5:10 am

big difference between rolling weight and dead weight. I have a shaft drive gilson that will pull over 1400# on a sled. most throw away mowers wont pull the 300# empty sled.
Back to top Go down
Ford Boi
Ford Boi

PostSubject: Re: How much weight can a 12hp Briggs pull?   PULL - How much weight can a 12hp Briggs pull? Icon_minitimeDecember 11th 2011, 2:00 pm

I towed my friend's 1991 Camry AWD about a 1/2 mile up the road and up my driveway with my Rally, years ago when it was still stock and used for mowing the lawn. (his car broke down)
Back to top Go down
Troy's Mongrels
Troy's Mongrels

PostSubject: Re: How much weight can a 12hp Briggs pull?   PULL - How much weight can a 12hp Briggs pull? Icon_minitimeDecember 12th 2011, 12:04 pm

i had a 10 hp Montgomery word that i pulled a full size Chevy truck out of the mud the truck weighed about 3600lbs dry but idk with mud
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How much weight can a 12hp Briggs pull?   PULL - How much weight can a 12hp Briggs pull? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How much weight can a 12hp Briggs pull?
Page 1 of 1