All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

floating lawn mower

Go down 
+7
Jamus
dagr8tim
gearheadmike
MSteele323
akcender
trout
fetters18
11 posters
AuthorMessage
fetters18
fetters18

floating lawn mower  Empty
PostSubject: floating lawn mower    floating lawn mower  Icon_minitimeJanuary 17th 2012, 9:04 pm

so i want to build a lawnmower that floats on water and on land too, for trapping beaver in a swamp

here wat i drew up
floating lawn mower  H
Back to top Go down
trout

PostSubject: Re: floating lawn mower    floating lawn mower  Icon_minitimeJanuary 17th 2012, 10:29 pm

Good start Fetters getting out to the lodge to set some traps by amphibious mower has yet to be done as far as I know . I would go with some out rigger floats on the port and starboard sides maybe a jackshaft or pto that runs a prop ,air in the tires may be better for floatation although your desighn would be needed for the muck getting in and out would be the hard part skidplate?
Back to top Go down
akcender
akcender

PostSubject: Re: floating lawn mower    floating lawn mower  Icon_minitimeJanuary 17th 2012, 10:33 pm

how stoned were you when you thought that up?
Back to top Go down
MSteele323

PostSubject: Re: floating lawn mower    floating lawn mower  Icon_minitimeJanuary 18th 2012, 1:01 am

That has Top Gear written all over it!
Are you related to Jeromy Clarkson by any chance lol. J/K man. Laughing
floating lawn mower  Topgearnissanamphicar3
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/msteele323?feature=mhw5
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: floating lawn mower    floating lawn mower  Icon_minitimeJanuary 18th 2012, 9:06 am

might work just might have hard time turning,also if belt get to wet u might be stuck in the middle lol
Back to top Go down
dagr8tim
dagr8tim

PostSubject: Re: floating lawn mower    floating lawn mower  Icon_minitimeJanuary 18th 2012, 10:13 am

There used to be a show on Discovery called Junk Yard Wars where they did just that. They took an old diesel land rover and cut off as much of the body as possible, then welded a bunch of 55 gallon drums to it. It actually worked well. Monster garage did something similar with a beatle. The filled as much of the body structure as possible with expanding foam and it floated.

Rather than have the drums at the front and rear, I'd suggest placing them along the sides like pontoons. You'd kill your approach and exit angles with something that large on the front and rear.

But then the question becomes. How do you propel and steer? Paddle tires? But you still need to find a way to steer. You probably won't get going fast enough for the front tires to act like skis.
Back to top Go down
http://buckeyejeeps.com
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: floating lawn mower    floating lawn mower  Icon_minitimeJanuary 18th 2012, 10:16 am

^ i miss that show jy wars lol
Back to top Go down
dagr8tim
dagr8tim

PostSubject: Re: floating lawn mower    floating lawn mower  Icon_minitimeJanuary 18th 2012, 10:36 am

gearheadmike wrote:
^ i miss that show jy wars lol

I've got all except season 7.
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: floating lawn mower    floating lawn mower  Icon_minitimeJanuary 18th 2012, 11:24 am

I saw in an offroad magazine sometime later, after that junkyard wars episode aired, that some immigrants(Cuban I think) tried the same thing to get to the US. Coast Guard intercepted them and turned them around. Do the get cable in Cuba? You would think that would be part of the embargo.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com
dagr8tim
dagr8tim

PostSubject: Re: floating lawn mower    floating lawn mower  Icon_minitimeJanuary 18th 2012, 11:27 am

Jamus wrote:
I saw in an offroad magazine sometime later, after that junkyard wars episode aired, that some immigrants(Cuban I think) tried the same thing to get to the US. Coast Guard intercepted them and turned them around. Do the get cable in Cuba? You would think that would be part of the embargo.

Cuba is 90 miles from the US. Over the air TV transmissions could make the distance over open water. Plus a tape or info could have been smuggled. Plus word of mouth could be enough.
Back to top Go down
akcender
akcender

PostSubject: Re: floating lawn mower    floating lawn mower  Icon_minitimeJanuary 18th 2012, 5:03 pm

lay off the dope buddy
Back to top Go down
fetters18
fetters18

PostSubject: Re: floating lawn mower    floating lawn mower  Icon_minitimeJanuary 18th 2012, 7:17 pm

lmao i thought about puttin the barrels on the side today and i was goin to make ski type things on the front to steer
Back to top Go down
fetters18
fetters18

PostSubject: Re: floating lawn mower    floating lawn mower  Icon_minitimeJanuary 19th 2012, 3:12 pm

i think ima do this one
floating lawn mower  H2
Back to top Go down
dagr8tim
dagr8tim

PostSubject: Re: floating lawn mower    floating lawn mower  Icon_minitimeJanuary 19th 2012, 3:18 pm

Personally I'd put alittle sand, concrete, or water in the bottom of the barrel to add ballast, and keep the barrel from wanting to roll over.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: floating lawn mower    floating lawn mower  Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2012, 9:08 am

Easiest way i could see is to get an old aluminum boat and mount the tractor chassis to it - the tractor could get to the site and with an outbord motor mounted to the back - could do the steering. Only issues would be making the thing water tight.

Then again i suppose itd be easier just to haul a boat back there with the tractor....

About the last pic: Those drums mounted to the tractor would need serious reinforcing to hold the weight of the tractor in the water - the fronts should be angled up slightly to move thru the water better - instead of using the tractor to power thru and steer- just mount a boat motor to the back.

Another thing is how wide are the trails back to the place? the drums would have to be removable in order to get back there .
Back to top Go down
fetters18
fetters18

PostSubject: Re: floating lawn mower    floating lawn mower  Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2012, 10:24 am

ya me and my friend were talkin about makin them removable and pullin behind the tractor on a trailer and for the bracing on the drums were r usin 1in pipe so it should hold up preatty good
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: floating lawn mower   floating lawn mower  Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2012, 4:01 pm

I like the trailer idea. Just unhook it and turn it around , pop a couple of pins in and go. not sure that would be a true amphibious, but it would make getting there easier. You have to make the axle swing up to eliminate the possibility of dragging.

just to throw some numbers out there, a 55 gallon drum will float a max of 440 pounds. but that would be with the drum just below the surface. 2 barrels would float 880 pounds. the average rider with an average driver would be around 500 pounds. that would be about 55% of max on 2 drums. since the flotation of a round drum is nonlinear and they are shorter than a mower, they could be unstable.

Using a few 60 gallon water heaters would work better. You can get used water heaters free with just a few phone calls to a local plumber. the used ones are usually replaced when the start leaking and have 100 pounds of mud and calcium in them. there will be some labor involved, but you can clean them out and patch them.

I have made mini pontoons by welding 2 heaters together for the logs. Leak check them before using. then you have a pretty tough boat that you dont have to worry about rain water filling up and sinking. I have had some on the lake for 5 years with almost no maintenance (just sweeping off the goose shit)
Back to top Go down
dagr8tim
dagr8tim

PostSubject: Re: floating lawn mower    floating lawn mower  Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2012, 4:30 pm

Really, use some square tubing as an axle and attach the two barrels to it. Wheels could be attached with codder pins.

When you're ready to float, just attach the square tubing axle, to the underside of the tractor and go. If you did some math, you could position the mounts to get the tractor neutral front to rear and make it more stable.

I agree that hot water heaters would probably be better. Even 40 gallon ones.
Back to top Go down
CityRedneck
CityRedneck

PostSubject: Re: floating lawn mower    floating lawn mower  Icon_minitimeJanuary 24th 2012, 8:12 pm

on junk yard wars didnt they also do a floating punch bugggy
Back to top Go down
dagr8tim
dagr8tim

PostSubject: Re: floating lawn mower    floating lawn mower  Icon_minitimeJanuary 24th 2012, 8:33 pm

CityRedneck wrote:
on junk yard wars didnt they also do a floating punch bugggy

I remember they chopped down a Land Rover. I think I have the episode on my media cetner.
Back to top Go down
gilsonrumbler
gilsonrumbler

PostSubject: Re: floating lawn mower    floating lawn mower  Icon_minitimeJanuary 25th 2012, 3:06 pm

no offense... toss the idea..... not going to work.. seriously... you won't go fast nuff to turn, belts will slip like mad unless you got chain drive, pointless.... That kind of effort could be put into making it an indestructable trail rig or mudder... IMO
Back to top Go down
dagr8tim
dagr8tim

PostSubject: Re: floating lawn mower    floating lawn mower  Icon_minitimeJanuary 25th 2012, 3:08 pm

gilsonrumbler wrote:
no offense... toss the idea..... not going to work.. seriously... you won't go fast nuff to turn, belts will slip like mad unless you got chain drive, pointless.... That kind of effort could be put into making it an indestructable trail rig or mudder... IMO

While I agree with you. It's still a fun idea to brain storm about and tinker with. To each it's own.
Back to top Go down
gilsonrumbler
gilsonrumbler

PostSubject: Re: floating lawn mower    floating lawn mower  Icon_minitimeJanuary 25th 2012, 3:16 pm

also... even with bracing on the drums the frame of the mower will not hold up it would probly try to tear itself apart
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: floating lawn mower    floating lawn mower  Icon_minitimeJanuary 25th 2012, 8:47 pm

External trolling motor? Weed eater with a propellor, haha?
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com
canadianromper
canadianromper

PostSubject: Re: floating lawn mower    floating lawn mower  Icon_minitimeJanuary 25th 2012, 8:52 pm

Jamus wrote:
External trolling motor? Weed eater with a propellor, haha?

lol that would be cool but you would probubley nedd like two of them. some pretty crazy ideas come up here lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: floating lawn mower    floating lawn mower  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

floating lawn mower
Page 1 of 1