All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS

Go down 
+14
truckin42
thatrandomguy
Chopperhed
matthew sidor
MSteele323
CraftsmanKid1
CityRedneck
W1ldyOvvnZ
DICE464
F150F250F350
AcreFarm
Jordan
dangeroustoys56
muddstir
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
muddstir
muddstir

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  Empty
PostSubject: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  Icon_minitimeJanuary 27th 2012, 10:58 pm

Started this project around 4 to 5 years ago, then I bought a house an it went on hold.  This fall I dug out all the parts for it and picked up where I left off.   I don't have a lot of pics from then til now but ill try do put something together later on but for now here is what i'm working with.   Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  Copy_o11
Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  Copy_o12
That's the body i'll be using, the motor was gone when i got it and the transaxle was locked up.  I also scraped the frame and front end, I wanted a stronger set up in those areas.  I'll have to take new pics of the frame i made this weekend  my other pics are really blurry.

Last edited by muddstir on January 29th 2018, 8:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  Icon_minitimeJanuary 28th 2012, 8:09 am

Good project - Chunk did that with his offroader after the original pan chassis split - he used angle for a new frame . Whats the plans for it? Rock crawler, mudding, trailriding?

Back to top Go down
muddstir
muddstir

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  Icon_minitimeJanuary 28th 2012, 1:12 pm

It's more of a prototype for my next build. Around were I live truck mud bogging is huge and now they are starting to do atv bogging, so I want to make a lawn mower to enter in to the fun. This one is more of an all around mower not really for the deep mud. If every thing turns out ok I'll give it to the girlfriend and start the next one and if not then it's back to the drawing board.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2012, 6:36 am

If anything, go with bigger tires with good tread- ATV or AG wheels - turf tires are basically near worthless in mud - if its for 'normal' type mud, the open trans should be fine.

Ive been wanting to experement with setting up a ' 4x4 tractor ' - mounting a trans under the front - best type of trans would be a noma rear steer - but ill have to make something up.

Just had too many other projects in the shed to work on my agway.
Back to top Go down
muddstir
muddstir

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2012, 2:02 pm

I got the tires taken care of already. For rear tires I have 26x12x12 kenda bear claws sitting at the house. The front should be here today or tomarrow and they are 24x8x12 kenda bear claws. I wanted more of a difference in the tire sizes but thats the biggest and smallest the company had in that brand with a 12in rim. The tread looks meaty but not overkill like other mud atv tires, and their alot cheaper in the price factor too. 4 brand new alum rims, 4 brand new tires, mounted and shipped for $476 couldn't beat it in my book.
Back to top Go down
Jordan
Jordan

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2012, 6:23 pm

i ran a locked rear axle with 25 12.5 12 bear claws like you have, best tires i have ever used. aggressive enough to get through anything but not too much so that it bogged my motor down
Back to top Go down
muddstir
muddstir

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2012, 7:45 pm

Jordan wrote:
i ran a locked rear axle with 25 12.5 12 bear claws like you have, best tires i have ever used. aggressive enough to get through anything but not too much so that it bogged my motor down
It's good to hear you like this tires, I never ran them before so it was a shot in the dark when I ordered them. One question though how do they perform in the snow, the fluffy stuff and the hard packed stuff?
Back to top Go down
muddstir
muddstir

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2012, 8:07 pm

Does anybody know about what year this body is from? I have no clue what year it was made. F150F250F350 has a Deutz-Allis in his big green beast monster mower build with the same body different color. I also seen some Simplicity's with the same body, and if memory recalls it correctly I think I've seen some Case's too.
Back to top Go down
Jordan
Jordan

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  Icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2012, 11:18 am

muddstir wrote:
Jordan wrote:
It's good to hear you like this tires, I never ran them before so it was a shot in the dark when I ordered them. One question though how do they perform in the snow, the fluffy stuff and the hard packed stuff?

they worked pretty well, the problem i had was the stock front tires kept trying to sink in the softer snow so i drove it more on the plowed roads instead
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  Icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2012, 5:25 pm

I have a pair of smaller atv wheels ( came off a yamaha quad) for the front and and a pair of giant wooly booger atv wheels for the back - i cant complain on the price - $20 for the pair of front tires, $30 for the two 9" rims and $25 for the pair of wooly boogs - front atv wheels will come in handy for the 4x4 setup.
Back to top Go down
Jordan
Jordan

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  Icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2012, 8:23 pm

im actually starting a 4x4 lawn tractor soon shhhhh! lol front axle will be outta a 4 wheel steer noma i dont have a garage to work in, only a shed with my four wheeler in it and i hate working in the mud so thats why i havnt started yet...i have a frame front and rear axles motor, i dont think im missing anything to do it
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  Icon_minitimeFebruary 3rd 2012, 9:05 pm

Best /easiest way to do a 4x4 conversion - it wont be a 'true' 4x4 unless the rear trans is locked - but the front cant be locked , other wise you cant steer.

This one guy made a center setup for the gear shifters , front and rear - a central stacked pulley could be used .

The plus's are either engaged or trans in neutral for 2 wheel drive - minus is the trans pulley would always be rotating in either setup unless some sort of lockout is made.

I havent touched my agway since last year - mainly cause my nephew is too busy hanging with his peeps , instead of his cool uncle - ill hopefully get it going later this year - need to get those wheels out of my shed.
Back to top Go down
Jordan
Jordan

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  Icon_minitimeFebruary 4th 2012, 6:38 pm

i have it all ready to go the only problem i see is that the steering axle wont steer far enough to give me a decent turning radius, and the only thing i still need to figure out is how to run a belt to the font axle, i need to find a way to mount a second pulley onto the crank of an engine that way i have a stock belt and a short one going to the front....maybe ill take a shot at building a dual pulley at school?
Back to top Go down
muddstir
muddstir

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  Icon_minitimeFebruary 4th 2012, 10:02 pm

Around 5 years back I thought about doing a go-cart axle in the front to make one 4x4. It then got complicated with bearing, brackets, flanges, machine work, u-joints ect. It had a lot of downfalls, it was pricey to build, no suspension, and not sure it would steer correctly due to the geometry of how it was setup so i gave up on that system.
Back to top Go down
Jordan
Jordan

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  Icon_minitimeFebruary 4th 2012, 10:39 pm

yeah i felt the same way, even with the steering 6 speed axle i have its still going to be a lot of work but im doing it because i got the tractor with a working tranny for 50 bucks so i think its worth a shot
Back to top Go down
muddstir
muddstir

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  Icon_minitimeFebruary 4th 2012, 11:04 pm

Here is how I made most of my frame-- It started out as a sheet of flat 11ga (.125 thick) metal, I sheared it into 5in strips(4pcs total)
[img]Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  Copy2ofDSCF2581[/img]

Then I wrote a program for the punch machine and I ran the strips I sheared ( all the machine did was notch the corners for bending and put holes in it for mounting it together/bolting stuff to it.)
[img]Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  CopyofDSCF0100[/img]

Then it went to the press brake to bend up all the side at 1in, this formed it into a channel that became my frame rails.
[img]Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  CopyofDSCF0095[/img]

Back to top Go down
muddstir
muddstir

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  Icon_minitimeFebruary 4th 2012, 11:19 pm

Jordan wrote:
yeah i felt the same way, even with the steering 6 speed axle i have its still going to be a lot of work but im doing it because i got the tractor with a working tranny for 50 bucks so i think its worth a shot
Give it a shot and if you get stuck with a issue let me know and I'll see if i can help you. I never did mess with one of those trannys but I'm pretty good at fab work and design.
Back to top Go down
muddstir
muddstir

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  Icon_minitimeFebruary 5th 2012, 2:48 pm

After the frame rails were bent I welded all the seams and bolted it together. I sled the body over the frame to make sure it fit then welded it all together. I then had to make it wider up in the engine bay, so I cut about a foot out of each side then welded it back on with about 2in offset on each side. Then I bent some angle up to patched some gaps and to make the lines of the frame flow better. Added a couple mounts for a jack shaft and called it good. (This was a bad pic- the frame blended in with the background- so I tried to make it better but computer was slow so I gave up.) Next weekend I'll try to get my rear and frontend mounts posted and that's about how far I'm on it. Oh yeah my rims and tire came in on Thursday so some day I'll try to get a pic of them up.
[img]Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  DSCF0105[/img]
Back to top Go down
Jordan
Jordan

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  Icon_minitimeFebruary 5th 2012, 4:20 pm

muddstir wrote:
Jordan wrote:
Give it a shot and if you get stuck with a issue let me know and I'll see if i can help you. I never did mess with one of those trannys but I'm pretty good at fab work and design.

i can see youre good at the fab work by your pictures you just posted, and if i have that problem itll definately end up on here because i want it to work lol i have a four wheeler thats 4 wheel drive but i wanna keep it in good shape because its worth a lot more then a lawn tractor and some of the work i use it for im not happy using it for because i know its hard on it but my other lawn tractors just cant do it
Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  Icon_minitimeFebruary 5th 2012, 4:56 pm

Great work so far. I'd love to have a shop equipped that well!
Back to top Go down
muddstir
muddstir

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  Icon_minitimeFebruary 5th 2012, 11:13 pm

AcreFarm wrote:
Great work so far. I'd love to have a shop equipped that well!
Thank you . The shop is were I work and the nice thing about the owners is as long as I do it on my own time I can use all the machines, welders, and tools plus I get metal real cheap.
Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  Icon_minitimeFebruary 6th 2012, 1:24 pm

I worked in a weld shop for a while that let us use the equipment on our time. We could buy new material at cost, and cut-downs at scrap price.
Too bad Everything else about working there sucked LoL
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  Icon_minitimeFebruary 10th 2012, 7:23 pm

Thats the way to do it - custom one off frame. Nice fab work.
Back to top Go down
muddstir
muddstir

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  Icon_minitimeFebruary 10th 2012, 9:24 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Thats the way to do it - custom one off frame. Nice fab work.
Thanks, But the pic is crappy it don't show all the flaws and gaps and stuff. For the amount of money I have into that frame (free) I can't complain, I just hope it's strong enough to hold up to the beating its going to get.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  Icon_minitimeFebruary 13th 2012, 7:02 pm

Hey, gotta be better then a factory setup - most tractors are just a steel pan and everythings bolted to it . Only thing ive seen close is the factory murray C channel frame under my late 90's machines.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS    Project  INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Project INBRED ALLIS CHALMERS
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next