All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

How do I build a tandem axle or a 4x4 lawn tractor?

Go down 
+5
AcreFarm
gearheadmike
richie thomas
canadianromper
Jordan
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Jordan
Jordan

axle - How do I build a tandem axle or a 4x4 lawn tractor? Empty
PostSubject: How do I build a tandem axle or a 4x4 lawn tractor?   axle - How do I build a tandem axle or a 4x4 lawn tractor? Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2012, 1:41 pm

i have wanted to build a 4x4 lawn tractor for a while now just so it can do the work around the yard that my work tractor cant do and i dont want to do with my four wheeler becasue its just hard on it...i get to spend another 150 bucks on parts for my four wheeler this week
anyway i tried to pull a trailer yesturday with my work tractor (1970s murray gt16 with a 1994 briggs 18hp put on it) and i got stuck in the snow so i was going to put a steering transaxle on the front of a lawn tractor to get four wheel drive but i came across this just now on the internet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhULmjuk4cE&feature=related ive seen it before but i just thought about it now, if i was to get 2 lawn tractors that are the same i could build a siamese tractor
i just dont know what to do about shifting gears and working a clutch, the rear tractor is easy beacause im sitting on it but how do i rig up a shifter and clutch to the front one?
Back to top Go down
canadianromper
canadianromper

PostSubject: Re: How do I build a tandem axle or a 4x4 lawn tractor?   axle - How do I build a tandem axle or a 4x4 lawn tractor? Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2012, 4:39 pm

well maby for puting it togeter you could extend the trailer hitch and hook it on to the front of your other tractor. but for your brake/clutch maby on the tractor that you are going to be siting and driving on you could mke like a seperate clutch peadle and use that. im other than that im out of ideas sorry
Back to top Go down
Jordan
Jordan

PostSubject: Re: How do I build a tandem axle or a 4x4 lawn tractor?   axle - How do I build a tandem axle or a 4x4 lawn tractor? Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2012, 8:12 pm

i already have it planned out all i need to know is what i should do about the clutch and shifter for the front tractor
Back to top Go down
richie thomas
Veteran Member
richie thomas
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: How do I build a tandem axle or a 4x4 lawn tractor?   axle - How do I build a tandem axle or a 4x4 lawn tractor? Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2012, 9:01 pm

really long shift handle? lol
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: How do I build a tandem axle or a 4x4 lawn tractor?   axle - How do I build a tandem axle or a 4x4 lawn tractor? Icon_minitimeMarch 5th 2012, 12:01 am

if it were me id go with another rear axle behind your original one. find a old trans take the gears out except the axels put it back together mount it then just run a sprocket on a hub to each of your drive axles to the rear axles and front then add a chain,you would have a 4x4 with out worring abt extra clutches/gears lol and it be set up like a 18 wheeler
Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: How do I build a tandem axle or a 4x4 lawn tractor?   axle - How do I build a tandem axle or a 4x4 lawn tractor? Icon_minitimeMarch 5th 2012, 12:15 pm

It wouldn't be fast, but matching hydro rear ends would work great. You could make the 2 sets of shift linkage work off 1 lever, and no need for a clutch.
Back to top Go down
Jordan
Jordan

PostSubject: Re: How do I build a tandem axle or a 4x4 lawn tractor?   axle - How do I build a tandem axle or a 4x4 lawn tractor? Icon_minitimeMarch 5th 2012, 5:40 pm

AcreFarm wrote:
It wouldn't be fast, but matching hydro rear ends would work great. You could make the 2 sets of shift linkage work off 1 lever, and no need for a clutch.
i was just thinking about hydros but thats going to be more expencive
and i still plan on making another 4x4 lawn tractor but i just find these tandems cool thats why i want to make one out of lawn tractors, something to take to the steam shows around here..people take their restored lawn tractors or their pulling lawn tractors i just want to be different lol
Back to top Go down
McHandyMan

PostSubject: Re: How do I build a tandem axle or a 4x4 lawn tractor?   axle - How do I build a tandem axle or a 4x4 lawn tractor? Icon_minitimeMarch 5th 2012, 9:32 pm

i sware i posted in this one with my ipad but anyways ill re-type it so it will make sence. take a tractor frame or bulid your own, drop a trans axel into it dead center. make sure its locked. from the axel shafts that the wheels go on fun pto shafts that you will find on older tractors or newer ones, take a shaft drive off the front of a quad and rear end if you can find them and you will have 4wd. it wouldent be hard at all to keep the suspension with shaft drive.

srry if stuff is typed bad, my laptop sucks dog balls...
Back to top Go down
Jordan
Jordan

PostSubject: Re: How do I build a tandem axle or a 4x4 lawn tractor?   axle - How do I build a tandem axle or a 4x4 lawn tractor? Icon_minitimeMarch 6th 2012, 7:23 pm

but the point of me building the tandem tractor is to be like what people used to mke before the articulating 4x4 tractors
BUT i like that idea...ive wanted a 90s suzuki quad runner for the axles because they have HI LOW and SUPER LOW ranges and front diff lock so it will have great torque with all 4 tires spinning all one time, i think ill keep an eye out for a suzuki with a blown motor just for this purpose
Back to top Go down
dylansrockinrigs
dylansrockinrigs

PostSubject: Re: How do I build a tandem axle or a 4x4 lawn tractor?   axle - How do I build a tandem axle or a 4x4 lawn tractor? Icon_minitimeOctober 23rd 2012, 9:13 pm

Jordan wrote:
but the point of me building the tandem tractor is to be like what people used to mke before the articulating 4x4 tractors
BUT i like that idea...ive wanted a 90s suzuki quad runner for the axles because they have HI LOW and SUPER LOW ranges and front diff lock so it will have great torque with all 4 tires spinning all one time, i think ill keep an eye out for a suzuki with a blown motor just for this purpose

I rode one of those it was awesome you cant get them stuck. I once found one on craigslist with low compression for 300 bucks
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: How do I build a tandem axle or a 4x4 lawn tractor?   axle - How do I build a tandem axle or a 4x4 lawn tractor? Icon_minitimeOctober 24th 2012, 6:24 pm

I considered locking both transmissions in a future 4x4 build - but since the front has to steer , it cant be locked ( front wheels turn at different speeds in a corner) - only be good for straight lines- the rear wouldnt be either because its a complicated trans ( GT6000 hi/low speed) - i figure with two hi/low transmissions on one tractor it should go thru pretty much nearly everything.
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: How do I build a tandem axle or a 4x4 lawn tractor?   axle - How do I build a tandem axle or a 4x4 lawn tractor? Icon_minitimeOctober 24th 2012, 6:36 pm

The 350 Yamaha Big Bear has a posi front differential, It could easily be adapted to a tractor set up
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do I build a tandem axle or a 4x4 lawn tractor?   axle - How do I build a tandem axle or a 4x4 lawn tractor? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do I build a tandem axle or a 4x4 lawn tractor?
Page 1 of 1