All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

i really need a welder....

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

i really need a welder.... Empty
PostSubject: i really need a welder....   i really need a welder.... Icon_minitimeMay 10th 2010, 4:35 pm

i have been limited in the choices of what i can do to my lawn mower and well im getting sick of it, i want to build a go kart but a frame will cost WAY too much and as alot of people i cant afford much so i thought a welder would be a good start to a go kart or a mod tractor...

my question is what welder type would be the best for my situation? mig, tig?

i dont know
Back to top Go down
CMHN
CMHN

PostSubject: Re: i really need a welder....   i really need a welder.... Icon_minitimeMay 10th 2010, 4:40 pm

Do you have any welding experience? I would go with MIG. Ive done TIG before and it could be useful, but for what were doing I think a MIG is better. You could even get away with a stick if money is tight, you can pick up a smaller stick welder real cheap, and you can weld outside with it. Ive been welding for over 15 years now, mainly MIG but some stick thrown in here and there.
Back to top Go down
http://ctraugh.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: i really need a welder....   i really need a welder.... Icon_minitimeMay 10th 2010, 4:58 pm

is a stick weld enough to hold together a go-kart? bearing in mind it will be full suspension?
Back to top Go down
CMHN
CMHN

PostSubject: Re: i really need a welder....   i really need a welder.... Icon_minitimeMay 10th 2010, 5:18 pm

Yes it is, stick welding has been used for structural welding for decades. Most of the skyscrapers, bridges, roller coaster, and other structures are welded by stick in the field. It can be a bear sometimes to use, especially on rusty or painted surfaces. But you should clean all surfaces anyway no matter what style welding you are doing. I have both a MIG and a Stick welder, my mid is a small one that runs on 110V, but the Stick is a 220V. My mig is a Hobart and the stick is a Lincoln.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: i really need a welder....   i really need a welder.... Icon_minitimeMay 10th 2010, 5:24 pm

Try a used one. You can probably get a high quality used one for the same price as a cheapo new one. I bought mine new from ALDI of all places, from their powercraft range. Their tools are acuatlly really good, so keep a look out. But my MIG was lasted really well, 2/3 years of use and never has a single problem with it. Pretty impressive really.
MIG is easier to start out with I think, although some my disagree, I never did get the hang of ARC (stick) welding, although my neighbour has one buried in his garage I may ask him for a shot of, see what damage I can do with that Twisted Evil

Either way, its a really worth while investment! Lets you do so much more!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: i really need a welder....   i really need a welder.... Icon_minitimeMay 10th 2010, 6:10 pm

MIG will be easier to use - with ARC welders you have to keep moisture from getting into the welding rods or youll have issues- usually its for heavier guage metal.

MIG is all around easier to use, TIG is a nice weld but you have a foot pedal and filler rod to deal with, not to mention the elctrode needs to keep clean and sharpened.

Im not sure if harbor freight ships overseas - they probably have a basic welder thats affordable or keep searching local want ads.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: i really need a welder....   i really need a welder.... Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2010, 7:44 am

great help guys! and yeah i am just a noob at welding so i have no experience in welding whatsoever so probably it might be better to get a good starter model...

my other "theory" is that since dad is building a boat he needs a trailer and well you cant have a real heavy boat on sticks can you, so i might get him to pay half of an expensive one now rather than buy a cheapo welder and need another dearer one later...

this is the best cheapest MIG welder i could find...
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/79434/Power-Tools/Welding/100-No-Gas-MIG-Welder?cm_mmc=GoogleBase-_-Datafeed-_-Power%20Tools-_-100%20No-Gas%20MIG%20Welder

and this is a good stick welder...i think
http://www.bicsuperstore.com/CampbellHausfeld-WS0970-Arc-Welder/M/B0009KEZXY.htm

and this would be an option if dad was to pay half
http://www.expresstools.co.uk/shop/welders/supermig-welders/sealey-supermig150-150a-230v-333443.html

i suppose i would need a grinder in case of a really bad fail... you guys think you can help with choice on that too?

still no reply from my job application yet and i am really getting skint, i literally have £5.60 left! and i have a £22 bill to pay mum for cause of the RC car spares... cyclops
hope this all ends soon!
Back to top Go down
CMHN
CMHN

PostSubject: Re: i really need a welder....   i really need a welder.... Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2010, 8:29 am

You would be happy with the last one. I believe it would weld everything you wold want it to weld. Do you have a gas supplier near by? Are there any welding supply stores close by? I would check those places too, sometimes they have used ones in the back. I know mine does, they take trades. If you don't have ready access to the gas supply then I would suggest flux cored wire or stick. You don't need gas with either of those. I personally don't like flux-cored wire but if you cant get the gas when you need it then its a good option. I keep a roll on hand just in case my gas runs out in the middle of a build.

A 4" grinder would work just fine. I use hard wheels for my heavy duty grinding, then switch to flap disks for my smoothing and shaping.

Good luck job hunting, I lost mine March of 2009, then decided to go back to school. I have another year of school then I will be looking for a job. Hopefully the job market is better and there will be jobs out there.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: i really need a welder....   i really need a welder.... Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2010, 8:51 am

bigbleuboy wrote:
my other "theory" is that since dad is building a boat he needs a trailer and well you cant have a real heavy boat on sticks can you, so i might get him to pay half of an expensive one now rather than buy a cheapo welder and need another dearer one later...

i suppose i would need a grinder in case of a really bad fail... you guys think you can help with choice on that too?

Thats a good idea. Better to spend a bit of money upfront so that it'll last further down the line. Thats why mine still ammazed me. That ScrewFix one is acautlly more expensive than mine, mine was £80 with wire and a mask. Be awesome if you can get a higher end one.

And in either case, you'll need a grinder, even with perfect welds, its the best way to clean the metal. I'd get one anyway, very useful to have around
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: i really need a welder....   i really need a welder.... Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2010, 11:59 am

gas will not be a problem although i dont know the cost of it..... hmmm

can you get welders that can work either with OR without gas by flicking a switch or sumthin. my uncle has a gas MIG and its awsome he will have access to the gas for me.

i think a grinder will have to be mandatory anyway and im not looking to spend over £100...£150 at a push but theres so much selection on the web i cant choose so if you guys point me in the right direction then that'd be great!
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: i really need a welder....   i really need a welder.... Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2010, 12:37 pm

This has been discussed somewhere else too. YOu cant really go wrong with any DeWalt tools, although they aint cheap.

That would be a good start. I know you can get welders that work with and without gas, but Im not sure if there's a switch you can just flick. Get a mains powered one with the option for gas, that way you can convert it later down the line if you feel you have to.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: i really need a welder....   i really need a welder.... Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2010, 7:40 pm

My MIG welder can use either gas or flux core- the only way to switch types is to switch wire spools, tips and turn off the gas- flux core is always bigger then wire for gas- no easy switch .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: i really need a welder....   i really need a welder.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1