All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

DIY Cart for Mig Welder

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Tractorhead
Tractorhead

2016 Build-Off Finalist
2016 Build-Off Finalist

DIY Cart for Mig Welder Empty
PostSubject: DIY Cart for Mig Welder   DIY Cart for Mig Welder Icon_minitimeNovember 18th 2016, 7:17 am

Bought myself a bigger mig which needed a wheeled trolley and this is what I came up with using bits of junk lying around.  I thought I'd base it on the frame of the pressure washer that donated it's Diesel engine to my Build-off entry. Ended up using just the big rubber wheels and the base plate, the rest was too bulky. I already had an old hospital gas cylinder trolley so that got stub axles for the bigger wheels welded to it and the handle cut off and reattached somewhere else.  Blah blah anyway here it is...

Back to top Go down
MatthewD
Veteran Member
MatthewD
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: DIY Cart for Mig Welder   DIY Cart for Mig Welder Icon_minitimeNovember 18th 2016, 11:40 am

Nice! I gotta get a mig welder sometime for those nice neat welds Very Happy
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
TedTheDestroyer
TedTheDestroyer

PostSubject: Re: DIY Cart for Mig Welder   DIY Cart for Mig Welder Icon_minitimeNovember 18th 2016, 2:56 pm

Murryman wrote:
What type of welder are you using there friend?? Im in the market for one and atm my minds all over the place on them. Yea i could be like everyone else buy a harbor freight welder buuuut i want something good so i can learn better on. Btw nice cart set up Smile
Check out https://www.reddit.com/r/Welding/ There quite a few posts about which welders are best for what
Back to top Go down
Tractorhead
Tractorhead

2016 Build-Off Finalist
2016 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: DIY Cart for Mig Welder   DIY Cart for Mig Welder Icon_minitimeNovember 18th 2016, 6:47 pm

Murryman wrote:
What type of welder are you using there friend??
Hi, the big blue one, my new one, is an R-Tech 250amp Mig inverter (whatever that means).  I am totally amazed how good it performs, beautiful flat welds, the metal just flows together.  
My old welder, a small temperamental red one, was a Sealey 100amp which sort of did the job but often with poor penetration and liable to do 'pigeon sh1t'.  I should've upgraded yeeeeears ago, I didn't know what I was missing.
This year I needed a beefier welder for girder type activities and 250amp is the biggest I can run off normal domestic single phase power supply.  Bigger needs industrial 3 phase supply which I don't have.  
I don't know what welders you've looked at but if I was you I wouldn't mess with gasless Mig. The results aren't great though it is useful for outdoors on a windy day when Mig gas blows away leaving your welds bubbly porous and weak.  If you can work somewhere sensible use argon co2 mix, 0.8mm wire, a decent beefy Mig and enjoy life.  0.6 wire tends to 'birds nest' so go with 0.8 for an easy life.  
There's plenty of cheapo Chinese built migs on the market and it tends to be you get what you pay for.  Second hand semi-industrial is good value often if you know someone in the garage trade maybe or take a chance on eBay?
I suffered for years with a cheap low power Mig. Learn from my experience, get a decent one, it's worth it.
So my R-Tech can do MMA as well, which sounds to me like Mixed Martial Arts but is 'stick' or 'arc' welding which is ok if you like that sort of thing but I've no use for it really.  
I can easily drone on about welders all day so I will do the decent thing and shut up now  DIY Cart for Mig Welder 1098998679
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DIY Cart for Mig Welder   DIY Cart for Mig Welder Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

DIY Cart for Mig Welder
Page 1 of 1