All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Pulley Question

Go down 
+3
Chunk
Ropertractor14
indianaboy93
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Chunk
Established Member

Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Pulley Question - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulley Question   Pulley Question - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2010, 5:10 am

I follwed you the first time afro lol. It should stretch fairly easily then. Did you say the next size was too big? confused
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: Pulley Question   Pulley Question - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2010, 6:44 am

Chunk wrote:
I follwed you the first time afro lol. It should stretch fairly easily then. Did you say the next size was too big? confused

no, the first time the guy read the wrong part number and gave me the wrong belt.
i think i need 3/4 of an inch of stretch. do you think i'll get it?
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Pulley Question   Pulley Question - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2010, 7:22 am

Well, you want them a lil tight- otherwise theyd slip and fall off. Rubber belts should stretch a bit.

My murray was like that- like i mentioned- didnt matter really if i had the clutch in or not- i think that one was a tad tight- but the shift on the go trans made for easy shifts- no clutching.
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: Pulley Question   Pulley Question - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2010, 7:34 am

i just really hope this one stretches and quits grabbing when i'm engaging the clutch
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Pulley Question   Pulley Question - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2010, 1:25 pm

It will stretch, Im not sure about 3/4" though. May be wrong though (I do that sometimes Wink )

Surely if its the correct length belt for the tractor it should work?
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: Pulley Question   Pulley Question - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2010, 3:04 pm

Chunk wrote:
It will stretch, Im not sure about 3/4" though. May be wrong though (I do that sometimes Wink )

Surely if its the correct length belt for the tractor it should work?

If it won't stretch i will just get another belt. i'd only be out 17 dollars for this belt
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Pulley Question   Pulley Question - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2010, 3:19 pm

Can you not take it back? $17 isnt too bad, its never a bad thing having a wide selection of belts lying about!
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: Pulley Question   Pulley Question - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2010, 3:25 pm

Chunk wrote:
Can you not take it back? $17 isnt too bad, its never a bad thing having a wide selection of belts lying about!

i don't think i can. since i've ran the mower and drove it some i think it would be non-returnable. if i had just slipped it on and off then i would be able to return it, i've done that before but after is been used i don't think they'll take it back
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pulley Question   Pulley Question - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2010, 5:03 pm

depends if its damaged... a sneaky tactic is to use black shoe polish to brighten it up Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Pulley Question   Pulley Question - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2010, 5:36 pm

Usually when i get a belt n its the wrong size- i keep it for something else- never know , and you wouldnt need to go buy it.
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: Pulley Question   Pulley Question - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2010, 8:47 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Usually when i get a belt n its the wrong size- i keep it for something else- never know , and you wouldnt need to go buy it.

that is a good point. may need it someday.
i'm gonna get another belt tomorrow and try it. i have my fingers crossed it will work.
and also i'm alittle worried i might have worn down my stock brake today while riding it to see if the belt would stretch. confused pale scratch Embarassed Mad Sad affraid
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: Pulley Question   Pulley Question - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2010, 8:48 pm

bigbleuboy wrote:
depends if its damaged... a sneaky tactic is to use black shoe polish to brighten it up Twisted Evil

that is a sneaky thought, if the guy at the hardware store wasn't so nice i would do that but he is very helpfull and is friends with my dad so i won't cheat him. but great idea for in the future if i ever need it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Pulley Question   Pulley Question - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJune 11th 2010, 4:34 am

indianaboy93 wrote:
and also i'm alittle worried i might have worn down my stock brake today while riding it to see if the belt would stretch. confused pale scratch Embarassed Mad Sad affraid

It should be finee. Just pad behind the brake pad with a little wad of duct tape. Its never failed me doing that!
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Pulley Question   Pulley Question - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJune 11th 2010, 6:46 am

Indianaboy93 : Yepper - its good to have spare belts - over the years ive collected quite a few spare belts - saves me trips to buy a new one constantly.
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: Pulley Question   Pulley Question - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJune 11th 2010, 6:50 am

Chunk wrote:
indianaboy93 wrote:

It should be finee. Just pad behind the brake pad with a little wad of duct tape. Its never failed me doing that!

might have to try that! but hopefully its ok and i don't have to do that
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Pulley Question   Pulley Question - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJune 11th 2010, 3:36 pm

Ive never had to replace any brake pads on my tractors - well only the ones with whole missing brake caliper n stuff....
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: Pulley Question   Pulley Question - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJune 11th 2010, 3:42 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Ive never had to replace any brake pads on my tractors - well only the ones with whole missing brake caliper n stuff....

thats good.
but if i have to replace it i have a junk yardmachines(MTD) that i can grab the brake off of
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Pulley Question   Pulley Question - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJune 11th 2010, 4:02 pm

I have a ton of those things- calipers, pads, rotors from all my parts tractors ....
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: Pulley Question   Pulley Question - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJune 11th 2010, 7:16 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
I have a ton of those things- calipers, pads, rotors from all my parts tractors ....

Its always good to have parts. thats why when i ask around for lawntractors i always say it doesn't matter if they don't run cause either its an easy fix or i can use it for parts.

Ok, FINALLY some good news!! i got another belt today (third try) and it is perfect. And i didn't wear down my brake like i thought i did because it worked perfect today. i love the gear range i have. 1st and 2nd are crawl gears, 3rd and 4th are decent speed to be able to get through mud quick or water, and 5th is alittle fast for going around my house (gets kinda bumpy) but it will be great for if i'm traveling on flat smooth ground. i am very happy with this setup!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Alittle bad news but it will be an easy fix, my homemade shifter broke today so i'll have to make another one. But i had planned on making a better one from a shifter i got off my yardmachines. ( i even found this neat little shifter nob in my basement, instead of having a little black nob i'd have a kinda long black shiny kinda cylinder shaped one). so now that my shifter broke it will give me the motivation to get started on a new one Razz
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Pulley Question   Pulley Question - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJune 12th 2010, 4:13 am

Sounds like that worked out well then! Mine gets a mittle crazy in 5th and 6th especially. This shifter nob sounds like it will be cool!
Cant wait to see what you come up with
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: Pulley Question   Pulley Question - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJune 12th 2010, 5:59 pm

Glad to hear that you got it going. it's always fun to ride the fruits of your labor!
Back to top Go down
http://ww.atltf.com
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: Pulley Question   Pulley Question - Page 4 Icon_minitimeJune 12th 2010, 9:41 pm

FearlessFront wrote:
Glad to hear that you got it going. it's always fun to ride the fruits of your labor!

yes!! and it was different because i've never had crawling abilities. with the old setup it went to fast and the belt slipped alot. yesterday i was crawling over stumps and dirt. i didn't think 1 mph could be so fun. lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pulley Question   Pulley Question - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pulley Question
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4