All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!
 
PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

 

 pulley help

Go down 
+2
CornishMorgan
jaymz
6 posters
AuthorMessage
jaymz
Member

Member


Age : 39
Join date : 2012-10-16
Points : 4272
Posts : 27
Location : Canton Ohio

pulley help  Empty
PostSubject: pulley help    pulley help  Icon_minitimeOctober 18th 2012, 6:51 pm

ok i have a 16.5hp craftsman lt1000 with a spicer 6 speed. Im wanting to do a pulley swap so I can out run a friends john deere gator wich tops out at 44 mph....any suggestions on pulley sizes for the front and rear? Im planning on buying the pulleys from TSC so i can do quick pulley swaps. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan
Member

Member


Join date : 2012-06-10
Points : 4687
Posts : 302

pulley help  Empty
PostSubject: Re: pulley help    pulley help  Icon_minitimeOctober 18th 2012, 7:09 pm

what size pulleys are on the engine and gearbox?
To do that speed on a stock mower, i'd suggest buying some new underwear. It would be almost undriveable.
Back to top Go down
13mudman13
Member

Member


Age : 25
Join date : 2012-09-20
Points : 4359
Posts : 67
Location : Wirt County, West BygodVirginia

pulley help  Empty
PostSubject: Re: pulley help    pulley help  Icon_minitimeOctober 18th 2012, 9:15 pm

Even if it goes 44 mph wat kind of terrain r u ridin on
Back to top Go down
jaymz
Member

Member


Age : 39
Join date : 2012-10-16
Points : 4272
Posts : 27
Location : Canton Ohio

pulley help  Empty
PostSubject: Re: pulley help    pulley help  Icon_minitimeOctober 19th 2012, 9:53 am

im not sure wats on it now, but i'll find out real quick and let you know...and i just wanna go faster than him on asphalt
Back to top Go down
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator


Age : 47
Join date : 2012-07-03
Points : 4661
Posts : 236
Location : Fort Stewart Georgia

pulley help  Empty
PostSubject: i think   pulley help  Icon_minitimeOctober 19th 2012, 3:49 pm

jaymz wrote:
im not sure wats on it now, but i'll find out real quick and let you know...and i just wanna go faster than him on asphalt

I would think a 9-10 inch in the front with a 3.5 inch to 4 inch would get you close to that speed, If you can, removing the large 20-23 inch tires on the rear and replacing them with 15-16 inch will tweek some mph. and lastly, you should very much consider locking the front end. either weld, or bolt it.

I have a speed mower video build in progress, not trying to get view, but it has a layout of what I am doing for it.

Speed Mower Video
Back to top Go down
jaymz
Member

Member


Age : 39
Join date : 2012-10-16
Points : 4272
Posts : 27
Location : Canton Ohio

pulley help  Empty
PostSubject: Re: pulley help    pulley help  Icon_minitimeOctober 19th 2012, 4:58 pm

my front end is locked up tight, i used 4 1/2" bolts and lock nuts to keep it steady.....im gonna look at TSC and see what size pulleys I can find for it....im hopin to use the stock belt.
Back to top Go down
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator


Age : 47
Join date : 2012-07-03
Points : 4661
Posts : 236
Location : Fort Stewart Georgia

pulley help  Empty
PostSubject: well, pulley swappin'   pulley help  Icon_minitimeOctober 19th 2012, 5:11 pm

jaymz wrote:
my front end is locked up tight, i used 4 1/2" bolts and lock nuts to keep it steady.....im gonna look at TSC and see what size pulleys I can find for it....im hopin to use the stock belt.

good thing, that will help with some issues with driving at those speeds. too bad your are not close to here, I have pulleys lying around I could weld up for you.

what kind of set up do you have as far as "clutch" goes? In some pulley mod configurations, the belt size may not change, in some it might.

I swapped a front pulley with a bigger one on a hydrostatic and it didnt matter the belt size, and some models have special clutches that have "jackshaft" type pulleys..

Take a few pictures or post a quick video...Id be happy to take a look..Its much easier to give advice when looking at the problem..

Goodluck at TSC, they usually have just what you need as for pulleys..
Back to top Go down
jaymz
Member

Member


Age : 39
Join date : 2012-10-16
Points : 4272
Posts : 27
Location : Canton Ohio

pulley help  Empty
PostSubject: Re: pulley help    pulley help  Icon_minitimeOctober 19th 2012, 7:22 pm

im just runnin the stock clutch setup lol where do u live im in canton ohio, maybe we can work something out with shipping and labor costs Smile
Back to top Go down
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator


Age : 47
Join date : 2012-07-03
Points : 4661
Posts : 236
Location : Fort Stewart Georgia

pulley help  Empty
PostSubject: i wouldnt charge for labor   pulley help  Icon_minitimeOctober 19th 2012, 7:40 pm

jaymz wrote:
im just runnin the stock clutch setup lol where do u live im in canton ohio, maybe we can work something out with shipping and labor costs Smile

I am located very close to Baltimore. It would be safer if you were close enough that I could custom fit the pulleys, I wouldnt risk sending you something and it not fit right..I wouldnt charge you anything, maybe shipping,

You should throw some photos or a short video of both the transaxle and the underside of your mower..makes it so easy to give advice when you have a visual..

Back to top Go down
jaymz
Member

Member


Age : 39
Join date : 2012-10-16
Points : 4272
Posts : 27
Location : Canton Ohio

pulley help  Empty
PostSubject: Re: pulley help    pulley help  Icon_minitimeOctober 21st 2012, 11:59 am

I dont guess i need to worry about a pulley swap now until I get the thing running lol
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Moderator
Chopperhed
Moderator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Age : 57
Join date : 2012-10-14
Points : 5072
Posts : 801
Location : Edmonton, Alberta, Canada Eh!

pulley help  Empty
PostSubject: Re: pulley help    pulley help  Icon_minitimeOctober 21st 2012, 12:57 pm

Junkstarbuilds wrote:
jaymz wrote:
im not sure wats on it now, but i'll find out real quick and let you know...and i just wanna go faster than him on asphalt

I would think a 9-10 inch in the front with a 3.5 inch to 4 inch would get you close to that speed, If you can, removing the large 20-23 inch tires on the rear and replacing them with 15-16 inch will tweek some mph. and lastly, you should very much consider locking the front end. either weld, or bolt it.

I have a speed mower video build in progress, not trying to get view, but it has a layout of what I am doing for it.

Speed Mower Video

Sorry Buddy, That statement is erroneous. Going to a smaller rear tire will increase acceleration not speed. The taller the tire you run, the more circumfrence you have. The more circumfrence you have the farther the tire travels per revolution
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator


Age : 47
Join date : 2012-07-03
Points : 4661
Posts : 236
Location : Fort Stewart Georgia

pulley help  Empty
PostSubject: Re: pulley help    pulley help  Icon_minitimeOctober 21st 2012, 1:06 pm

Chopperhed wrote:
Junkstarbuilds wrote:
jaymz wrote:
im not sure wats on it now, but i'll find out real quick and let you know...and i just wanna go faster than him on asphalt

I would think a 9-10 inch in the front with a 3.5 inch to 4 inch would get you close to that speed, If you can, removing the large 20-23 inch tires on the rear and replacing them with 15-16 inch will tweek some mph. and lastly, you should very much consider locking the front end. either weld, or bolt it.

I have a speed mower video build in progress, not trying to get view, but it has a layout of what I am doing for it.

Speed Mower Video

Sorry Buddy, That statement is erroneous. Going to a smaller rear tire will increase acceleration not speed. The taller the tire you run, the more circumfrence you have. The more circumfrence you have the farther the tire travels per revolution
I said tweak the mph, not increase. I was more leaning on control then speed. Definitely why drag cars have big rear tires for grip and what you mentioned.
Back to top Go down
murrayman96
New Member
murrayman96
New Member


Join date : 2012-04-10
Points : 4443
Posts : 17

pulley help  Empty
PostSubject: Re: pulley help    pulley help  Icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2013, 1:07 pm

2.5 in the back, 5 in the front, you may have to do some modifications to it to get it to work, but that should be good for u
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content





pulley help  Empty
PostSubject: Re: pulley help    pulley help  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down
 
pulley help
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Pulley help
» What pulley can I get.
» Murray Mudder Build
» PULLEY HELP
» What is this called on my Pulley?

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: Technical Forum :: Drivetrain & Brake Tech :: Pulley, clutches, and Belts-
Jump to: