All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Craftsman II with quad suspension

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ThatTractorGuy

Craftsman II with quad suspension Empty
PostSubject: Craftsman II with quad suspension   Craftsman II with quad suspension Icon_minitimeOctober 23rd 2012, 10:30 pm

Ive been keeping an eye on this forum since i wanted to build a gpod off road mower, and i just finally started so i figure ill share progress. Updatin on my progress may take longer than id like since tools are limited however.

ANY TIPS APPRECIATED! (:

https://2img.net/h/i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg620/xXse1n0rXx/IMG_20121023_165147.jpg

https://2img.net/h/i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg620/xXse1n0rXx/IMG_20121023_174535.jpg

https://2img.net/h/i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg620/xXse1n0rXx/IMG_20121023_163813.jpg
Back to top Go down
boggo
boggo

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman II with quad suspension   Craftsman II with quad suspension Icon_minitimeOctober 24th 2012, 12:14 am

that looks badass man u should post more pics thanks for posting this good job and have a nice day.. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman II with quad suspension   Craftsman II with quad suspension Icon_minitimeOctober 24th 2012, 12:45 am

I'm doing the same thing except I built a complete custom frame rather than using the original quad and tractor frame. I wanted to keep the donor quad frame complete for sales purposes, and the tractor frame was too spindly.
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
ThatTractorGuy

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman II with quad suspension   Craftsman II with quad suspension Icon_minitimeOctober 24th 2012, 8:37 am

Chopperhed wrote:
I'm doing the same thing except I built a complete custom frame rather than using the original quad and tractor frame. I wanted to keep the donor quad frame complete for sales purposes, and the tractor frame was too spindly.

Yeah i get exactly what you are saying. I just dont have the money or tools to do it that way. So far i have less than 100 into it and i dont even have a welder and grinder right now so Im not going to be so quick with updating progress.

PS: i never did mention to everyone that its powered by a 20hp opposed .!
Back to top Go down
ThatTractorGuy

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman II with quad suspension   Craftsman II with quad suspension Icon_minitimeOctober 24th 2012, 8:51 am

Back to top Go down
ThatTractorGuy

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman II with quad suspension   Craftsman II with quad suspension Icon_minitimeOctober 24th 2012, 2:15 pm

Borrowing a welder for the next couple days so i cam get the front end and rear hubs welded all up. Its a gas welder so should have strong welds. I hope to have it rolling today. Stay tuned for updates.(:
Back to top Go down
greener179
greener179

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman II with quad suspension   Craftsman II with quad suspension Icon_minitimeOctober 24th 2012, 2:37 pm

how much tread do those tires have?
Back to top Go down
ThatTractorGuy

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman II with quad suspension   Craftsman II with quad suspension Icon_minitimeOctober 24th 2012, 6:11 pm

Not a whole lot really which sucks. But there are a few places around here that carry the same ones.
Back to top Go down
ThatTractorGuy

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman II with quad suspension   Craftsman II with quad suspension Icon_minitimeOctober 24th 2012, 7:32 pm

So here it is sitting on its own minues rear wheels/tires. Has poopy looking welds but theyll hold. Need to add more bracing as well. Shes comin together!

https://2img.net/h/i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg620/xXse1n0rXx/IMG_20121024_191441.jpg

https://2img.net/h/i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg620/xXse1n0rXx/IMG_20121024_191433.jpg

PS I WILL CLEAN UP ALL THE EDGES AND SUCH SO IT DOESNT LOOK SO BAD.
Back to top Go down
dylansrockinrigs
dylansrockinrigs

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman II with quad suspension   Craftsman II with quad suspension Icon_minitimeOctober 24th 2012, 7:37 pm

If you have a youtube account or video camera you should post some videos of that thing
Back to top Go down
ThatTractorGuy

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman II with quad suspension   Craftsman II with quad suspension Icon_minitimeOctober 24th 2012, 7:58 pm

Yeah i do but im going to wait till its rideable atleast . Right now we are fabbing the rear hubs so stay tuned people. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ThatTractorGuy

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman II with quad suspension   Craftsman II with quad suspension Icon_minitimeOctober 25th 2012, 9:43 pm

Well some major issues came up . In the process of welding stuff still. But right now nothing is gunna be gettin done for a good minute. IM NOT ABANDONING THE THREAD THOUGH.!
Back to top Go down
ThatTractorGuy

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman II with quad suspension   Craftsman II with quad suspension Icon_minitimeNovember 2nd 2012, 11:31 pm

WELL. got the rear wheels all welded up. it totally will sit on its own now. However I need to grind and reweld some of the welds on the front end. I just wouldnt trust them going down a trail. I also need to keep an eye out for a rack and pinion. ANY ONE HAVE ANY IDEAS FOR STEERING??? KEEP IN MIND IM GOING TO TRY TO FIT A 20hp opposed in there too so itll be a squeze ANY SUGGESTIONS HELPFUL
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman II with quad suspension   Craftsman II with quad suspension Icon_minitimeNovember 4th 2012, 7:23 pm

yeah Im up to the same spot on mine too, I'm thinking 3/4" shafts through pillow block bearings. it will take 2 shafts and at least 4 bearings to cover it. Since I'm using a warrioir front end I will use the stock warrior steering colum for the bottom. It fits the tie rod ends perfectly.

I helped a guy build a kit Shelby Cobra a couple years ago. It only had 1/2" steering shafts with a collapsible section. I figure 3/4" shafts with a steel wheel and a padded center should be fine.

Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
ThatTractorGuy

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman II with quad suspension   Craftsman II with quad suspension Icon_minitimeNovember 10th 2012, 10:58 pm

had horrible luck with this chassis. a could welds broke when i added weight to the front. so im just going to start fresh on another craftsman that I have. still going to be using the same tires/wheels and a-arms. going to try to snag a steering rack from my scrap yard too. I will update asap
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman II with quad suspension   Craftsman II with quad suspension Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Craftsman II with quad suspension
Page 1 of 1