All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

homemade wheel hubs

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
greener179
greener179

wheel - homemade wheel hubs Empty
PostSubject: homemade wheel hubs   wheel - homemade wheel hubs Icon_minitimeFebruary 3rd 2013, 3:31 pm

Has anyone made homemade hubs to bolt atv rims on if so could you post a picture.Or if anyone has ideas thar would really be appreciated
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: homemade wheel hubs   wheel - homemade wheel hubs Icon_minitimeFebruary 3rd 2013, 3:49 pm

I believe BMI sells 4-lug hubs. Could probably find them on eBay too. Just figure otu if your transaxle is a 3/4 or 1" shaft and go from there.

I believe the way Fearless did his, he cut up a stock rim so it didnt have the lip and just drilled holes for bolts and went from there.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
greener179
greener179

PostSubject: Re: homemade wheel hubs   wheel - homemade wheel hubs Icon_minitimeFebruary 3rd 2013, 5:11 pm

Ok because i just bougjt rims and tires off a kawasaki bayou and the bolt pattern is 4/137
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: homemade wheel hubs   wheel - homemade wheel hubs Icon_minitimeFebruary 4th 2013, 2:49 pm

You could do it - use at least 1/4" steel or thicker for the wheel plate - depending on wether its for front or rear , a bering setup for front or center support for a rear axle with keyway.

I bot a pair of steel canopy 'feet' that i plan on beefing up and adapt for wheel hubs - figure for $3 a piece i can do something with em.
Back to top Go down
greener179
greener179

PostSubject: Re: homemade wheel hubs   wheel - homemade wheel hubs Icon_minitimeFebruary 4th 2013, 8:28 pm

I figured out the rear hubs just need ideas for front hubs now
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: homemade wheel hubs   wheel - homemade wheel hubs Icon_minitimeFebruary 4th 2013, 8:43 pm

if its a 3/4" axle see about getting 1" bore rims and some roller bearings to make up for the difference.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
greener179
greener179

PostSubject: Re: homemade wheel hubs   wheel - homemade wheel hubs Icon_minitimeFebruary 4th 2013, 11:40 pm

well these are the tires im making hubs for
wheel - homemade wheel hubs 02041313
wheel - homemade wheel hubs 02041314
wheel - homemade wheel hubs 02041315
wheel - homemade wheel hubs 02041316

the rears are 24x11x10 and the fronts are 22x8x10
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: homemade wheel hubs   wheel - homemade wheel hubs Icon_minitimeFebruary 5th 2013, 9:41 pm

i made hubs for my lawn tractor for the front tires out of an old set of back tires, i took the tire off the rim and the tube out from inside then took my plasma cutter(same could be done with oxy-acetyline torches) and cut it out, it could be don't with a reciprocating saw or grinder and cut off blades but its sort of a waste it you have a plasma cutter to use. Heres a link to my build i really need to get working on it.

its half way down the third page, i totally forgot about taking pictures after the new tires
http://atltf.forumotion.com/t1177p30-lifted-toro-mudder
Back to top Go down
http://www.stat10.tk/
greener179
greener179

PostSubject: Re: homemade wheel hubs   wheel - homemade wheel hubs Icon_minitimeFebruary 5th 2013, 9:56 pm

I will try that
Back to top Go down
TheEquineFencer

PostSubject: Re: homemade wheel hubs   wheel - homemade wheel hubs Icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2013, 12:19 pm

Google my post. I built a set for the rear of my tractor. I used an old rim with the back 1/2 of the rim cut off. I then "trimmed" the lip off the front, outer. I then welded a 3/16 plate to the outer lip and welded it in place. I then cut the extra metal off the rest that was past the rim. I then used a trailer hub with the inner bearing removed as a jig to hold it centered in my lathe and found the center of the 3/16 plate, I spot drilled it to locate the center. I used a metal compas to draw the bolt circle and then measured on the bolt circle line for the bolt holes. Drilled them 1/2 inch. This gave me about a 4 inch off set of the rear tires to the outside. Everything is dead enter if I ever decide to gear for real speed. This same idea will work for front wheels if you want some offset. If you want less offset just cut more of the rim back where you weld the 3/16 plate to. But you will need to do it in a lathe or else measure really close so you will not have any wobble.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: homemade wheel hubs   wheel - homemade wheel hubs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

homemade wheel hubs
Page 1 of 1