All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

How do you remove stuck rear wheel hubs?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Mississippi1313
Mississippi1313

How do you remove stuck rear wheel hubs? Empty
PostSubject: How do you remove stuck rear wheel hubs?   How do you remove stuck rear wheel hubs? Icon_minitimeFebruary 17th 2010, 11:06 pm

Hey guys. My rear end finally blew today (to be expected)
So i have another rear end but one of the wheels are stuck on.
I've been heating it up with mapp gas and beating on it for hours.
I don't care if the wheel gets beat up because i don't need it.
It's soaking in liquid wrench right now.
I know this is a problem with lawn mower rear ends that have been sitting for a while,so if you guys know another way let me know =D

thanks
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: How do you remove stuck rear wheel hubs?   How do you remove stuck rear wheel hubs? Icon_minitimeFebruary 18th 2010, 12:46 am

Id try cutting it off with a grinder- i have a LT11 craftsman that i literally bent the axles on trying to get the wheels off- transmission case was broken anyway by PO ( after i spent 2 hours on it) - if it hasnt come off with heat- most likely it wont.
Back to top Go down
arild365
arild365

PostSubject: Re: How do you remove stuck rear wheel hubs?   How do you remove stuck rear wheel hubs? Icon_minitimeFebruary 18th 2010, 3:41 am

when i was installing my new tires on my stock rims, the rims were a bitch to get off. I had to use a two by four about 5 feet long with some WD40 and after an hour i got em off.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/arild365
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: How do you remove stuck rear wheel hubs?   How do you remove stuck rear wheel hubs? Icon_minitimeFebruary 18th 2010, 11:05 am

If the wheel doesnt matter, then what you could do if you have a gear pulley laying about is cut holes in the flat part of the rim so it can grip. Probably alot of work though. That or just go mad with a grinder, and cut the shaft on the wheel down to nothing. Least that tranny should be good for spare spider gears if nothing else!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids
Mississippi1313
Mississippi1313

PostSubject: Re: How do you remove stuck rear wheel hubs?   How do you remove stuck rear wheel hubs? Icon_minitimeFebruary 18th 2010, 8:25 pm

yeah,i wanted to keep the wheels for my red murray but it's not gonna come off.
Ill just cut the wheel off.
atleast i got to keep 1 wheel and tire lol.
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: How do you remove stuck rear wheel hubs?   How do you remove stuck rear wheel hubs? Icon_minitimeFebruary 18th 2010, 11:38 pm

I agree with chunk, try a puller...

But, if you do cut it off, flip it so the outside of the wheel is facing down on the ground or bench or something, then pound out the axle shaft with a BFH. Basicly knock it out backwards. You should still be able to save the wheel.
Back to top Go down
http://ww.atltf.com
Mississippi1313
Mississippi1313

PostSubject: Re: How do you remove stuck rear wheel hubs?   How do you remove stuck rear wheel hubs? Icon_minitimeFebruary 19th 2010, 7:20 pm

pound the shaft out?
Back to top Go down
arild365
arild365

PostSubject: Re: How do you remove stuck rear wheel hubs?   How do you remove stuck rear wheel hubs? Icon_minitimeFebruary 19th 2010, 8:34 pm

I see what fearless is saying. Id take off the tranny and put a short rod against the shaft then hold the tire and pound on the rod. If you dont understand ust tell me and il make a vid and put it on youtube and send you the link
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/arild365
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: How do you remove stuck rear wheel hubs?   How do you remove stuck rear wheel hubs? Icon_minitimeFebruary 19th 2010, 11:17 pm

Yeah, instead of trying to beat the wheel off of the axle shaft, beat the shaft out of the wheel. After you cut it off, of course.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: How do you remove stuck rear wheel hubs?   How do you remove stuck rear wheel hubs? Icon_minitimeFebruary 19th 2010, 11:20 pm

When i come across some stubborn wheels, i jack up the rear n try to hold my leags against the back of the tire ( its not easy) n pound on the axle end with an old mandrel shaft, usually they come off after a couple wacks - that one didnt- looking forward to doing that on the other 94 murray i have as well...
Back to top Go down
Mississippi1313
Mississippi1313

PostSubject: Re: How do you remove stuck rear wheel hubs?   How do you remove stuck rear wheel hubs? Icon_minitimeFebruary 20th 2010, 4:35 pm

oh i see what yall are saying.
I've been using a pipe and hitting it with a sledge hammer after i put heat on it for a few minutes.
I actually did beat the shaft out of the transaxle. Of course not on purpose lol
I should have just cut the wheel off in the first place =\

I'm going to take it apart in a little while,see if i can fix it.
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: How do you remove stuck rear wheel hubs?   How do you remove stuck rear wheel hubs? Icon_minitimeFebruary 20th 2010, 6:48 pm

all you did was break the little c-clip that holds the axle onto the spider gear. you can replace it or weld it. Not that it matters...
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: How do you remove stuck rear wheel hubs?   How do you remove stuck rear wheel hubs? Icon_minitimeFebruary 20th 2010, 11:11 pm

I forgot to mention i have like 6 MTD transaxles out back of the shed with the tires permenently stuck on em- but thats normal- LOL!
Back to top Go down
Mississippi1313
Mississippi1313

PostSubject: Re: How do you remove stuck rear wheel hubs?   How do you remove stuck rear wheel hubs? Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2010, 12:21 am

I got the wheel ground off.
I welded a little notch to hold the axle in.
(better then it was before =D)
I welded the spider gears too =D
I got it all in and ready for muddin again.
It does take away from the turning radius but not very much.
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: How do you remove stuck rear wheel hubs?   How do you remove stuck rear wheel hubs? Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2010, 12:50 am

Some tractors seem to do better with a locked rearend then others. My murray, dosen't do very well. But the craftsman does.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: How do you remove stuck rear wheel hubs?   How do you remove stuck rear wheel hubs? Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2010, 1:54 am

Ill be dealing with that on the wizard n wheelhorse mods - straight axles. I felt if i put a diff axle under em, id have breakage problems, plus makes for wicked burnouts n roostertails......
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: How do you remove stuck rear wheel hubs?   How do you remove stuck rear wheel hubs? Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2010, 10:52 am

Its got alot to do with the weight you have over the front end. Mississippi's mudder has a big v-twin on it, so I'd imagine that helps.

Glad you got it off though man, hope to see some videos of you demonstrating the turning radius. Might help me decide if I want to do mine or not
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: How do you remove stuck rear wheel hubs?   How do you remove stuck rear wheel hubs? Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2010, 10:12 pm

Yeah the opposed 18.5 will be over the front of mine as well- altho ill be over the back ( out weigh the motor by alot! LOL!)- might need to experement with some weights for the front/middle.

Im not exactally sure where ill mount the gas tank n battery - since the motor has a fuel pump- it could go under the seat and the battery up front near the motor- once i get a rolling chassis and mount the body ill see.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Stuck on wheels   How do you remove stuck rear wheel hubs? Icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2010, 2:08 am

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
I forgot to mention i have like 6 MTD transaxles out back of the shed with the tires permenently stuck on em- but thats normal- LOL!

Them darm MTD wheels are always stuck on, i just jumk the trannys and the wheels on my MTD's and put a five or sixspeed peerless in them.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: How do you remove stuck rear wheel hubs?   How do you remove stuck rear wheel hubs? Icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2010, 12:16 pm

Roboman79: Welcome abord! I still keep those transaxles around for spares to the MTD's i have that mow the yard.....
Back to top Go down
Mississippi1313
Mississippi1313

PostSubject: Re: How do you remove stuck rear wheel hubs?   How do you remove stuck rear wheel hubs? Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2010, 1:21 am

I'll do that charles.
It's been so cold and raining I haven't really been able to do it.
I think tomorrow it'll be warmer and sunny.
If it is i'll deff. make the vid
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do you remove stuck rear wheel hubs?   How do you remove stuck rear wheel hubs? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do you remove stuck rear wheel hubs?
Page 1 of 1