All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT)

Go down 
+9
noledroByrreK
DICE464
MSteele323
Ford Boi
Farmster
Chunk
dangeroustoys56
Webmaster
Jamus
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT)   Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeJuly 22nd 2010, 7:59 am

Chunk: i decided to try a seat pan for my mutant MTD - seems actually comfortable , even w/o the foam - I just made sure the bolts dont go into the seat area- LOL Laughing
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT)   Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeJuly 23rd 2010, 7:25 am

I'd still prefer a little padding for my arse off roading. especially as I think Im gonna lower my seat liek you did.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT)   Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeJuly 24th 2010, 12:37 am

Ill be half leaning off the seat anyway doing left or right turns .... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT)   Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2010, 11:05 am

Nice work! Black is the way to go!

This thing is gonna be alot of fun!
Back to top Go down
http://ww.atltf.com
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT)   Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2010, 3:59 pm

Yeah it will be fairly similar to your rig FearlessFront. I'm trying to figure out the belt and pulleys now. I watched your overview vid many times trying to recreate the two idler/tensioner pulleys that you added. Did you make a bracket attached to the frame to mount them or are they attached to the sheetmetal body? I may have to bite the bullet and just buy a new shorter belt. A new belt isn;t a bad idea anyway, whatever length.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com
Farmster
Farmster

PostSubject: Re: Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT)   Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2010, 6:12 pm

Hey i gota seat like that but mine i used when i raced go karts it also has padding with air bags things to air the padding up to fit your body better but i took them out the ol air blaters wernt good any more
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT)   Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2010, 10:20 pm

Man, I think that clown yellow seat must be the most interesting thing in this build thread, haha. This is how it started out.
Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT) - Page 3 Pbucket
Back to top Go down
Farmster
Farmster

PostSubject: Re: Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT)   Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2010, 12:21 am

hahaha nvm front veiw that would be 1 big ol racing seat but i like the creativity
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT)   Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2010, 5:56 am

Maybe with some paint or rubber coering to tone it down a little. Razz
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT)   Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeAugust 10th 2010, 5:02 pm

Jamus wrote:
Yeah it will be fairly similar to your rig FearlessFront. I'm trying to figure out the belt and pulleys now. I watched your overview vid many times trying to recreate the two idler/tensioner pulleys that you added. Did you make a bracket attached to the frame to mount them or are they attached to the sheetmetal body? I may have to bite the bullet and just buy a new shorter belt. A new belt isn;t a bad idea anyway, whatever length.

The adjusable one is hooked to the frame, the other one was connected to the sheet metal.... Not a good idea. I removed it a while back, but it didn't go as well through the water. Check out my newest vid because i changed it all around. It may give you some ideas? scratch

Chunk wrote:
Maybe with some paint or rubber coering to tone it down a little. Razz

Yeah, they sell the rhino liner stuff in aerosol cans. Thats a really good idea! I have an old plastic school chair that I stole long ago...(I'm sure i had my reasons). I may coat it and put it on the craftsman.
Back to top Go down
http://ww.atltf.com
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT)   Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeAugust 10th 2010, 11:02 pm

Just checked it out, looks like a great setup. When's part 2 going up? Also, did you use a stock length belt on your murray?
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT)   Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeAugust 13th 2010, 7:46 pm

Did a little work tearing down the wards/mtd. Got the motor and all the parts I need pulled. I can't see any freebie solution for a front pulley so I grabbed a weld together 5" for the engine from tractor supply.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT)   Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeAugust 13th 2010, 11:04 pm

Yeah, im going to pick up a few of those pulleys/sprockets for my future projects.
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT)   Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeAugust 13th 2010, 11:06 pm

I checked online first and they didn't have the 1-piece when I got to the store. That's when I remembered the weld together ones over in the tractor section. The collar and pulley were cheaper than the 1-piece that they didn't have anyway, haha.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT)   Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2010, 7:15 am

Glad you got what you needed. Wish we had those over here in the UK
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT)   Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2010, 11:17 am

I've often wondered about outside the US and lawn mower parts. Seems like lawnmowers are the last SAE holdouts. Every car you buy in the US is assembled with metric hardware these days. Do you guys over the pond run into any English-metric problems on your mowers? I enjoy being able to use all SAE tools on something as the last few trucks I owned were a mix-n-match of SAE and metric. I'm also enyoying being able to pull motors with my bare hands and no hoist needed, haha.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT)   Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2010, 2:37 pm

Most stuff over here is metric. Although some tractors have been a total mis-match of metric, imperial and a few whitworth! Those were hell to get off.
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT)   Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeAugust 16th 2010, 10:24 pm

Ran into all kinds of trouble this evening. First, the rims won't budge off the wards/mtd. I about destroyed my steering wheel puller trying. Moving on I tried to see how the 14hp opposed twin on the murray chassis. It's almost too wide for the hood, it's over 3" too tall, and the stock holes in the motor plate do not line up. Well the motor plate is no problem, drill some holes, simple. The width isn't much of a problem either, it does fit but it's snug. Before I start fabbing I am going to try the hood off my 97 murray, it's a little different design. If that doesn't work I'm left with not running a hood, or making a body lift of sorts. I could raise the hood mount and the sheetmetal that the steering shaft runs through about 3 1/2" without raising the center of gravity much. I was really hoping everything would just fit together properly though. One good thing is that it has plenty of room to mount the winch down on the frame under/behind the hood.
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT)   Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeAugust 30th 2010, 8:32 pm

Worked on the murray some more. Got the chassis in good shape to add the motor and lay out the belt setup. I moved the motor back, had to redrill the motor plate anyway. Leaves plenty of room for a winch behind the hood and I may move the rear transaxle back a couple inches too. I took some pics so you guys can see the clearance issue I have with the motor and see the proposed idler pulley setup. The pulleys are just bolted to a deck idler bracket and c-clamped to the frame rail. Holds pretty good tension though and I don't think there will be any clearance issues.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT)   Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2010, 8:24 am

yeah i had a hell of a time pulling the wheels from my 91 mild mod MTD - had to use 1/2 can of PB blaster, a large hammer and use a couple old sockets to get the things off - i bent the bolt in the puller just a lil bit tho.

To prevent further issues later on- i used a grinder and lightly ground the axles smoother and never seized the snarkies out of em- the wheels slipped on and off by hand, so i absolutely had to make sure the wheel bolts were tight.

Looks like murray didnt design those tractors to fit a opposed twin.... i used an old MTD hood on my murray.

You might want to make a clutch setup like Fearlessfront- i had mine set similar to yours and didnt work worth a crap.
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT)   Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2010, 11:14 am

I considered Fearless's clutch setup but want to get this thing running asap. If it doesn't work I'll change it. I don't know what I'll do for the hood. Only reason it even concerns me is that if I raise it, I also need to raise the dash, which probably needs to be decided before mounting the gas tank, and so on.
Back to top Go down
Ford Boi
Ford Boi

PostSubject: Re: Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT)   Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2010, 1:18 pm

You can always out out the top of your hood to fit around the motor and either leave it open or fiberglass a big scoop on there or something. Or mount a scoop on the shroud that protrudes through the hood like a 'shaker' lol.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT)   Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSeptember 1st 2010, 8:29 am

Shame the hood doesn't fit round that motor. Maybe if the engine was moutned further forward, but then you;d loose your winch space. Think you might just have to cut it Mad

As for the chassis, might be a good idea to get some nice thick bed liner or something and coat it while you have everything off to stop it rusting anymore. Definatly getting closer now though!
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT)   Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSeptember 1st 2010, 10:56 am

I'll definitely strip all that rust off and paint the frame. Most of it is due to water getting in through the hole in the body for the battery. Also to blame for the pulley not coming off of the transaxle. I might try and put the wards/mtd hood on it, that would look strange.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT)   Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSeptember 1st 2010, 6:42 pm

Mine did at first, but i actually liked it after a while - the original murray hood ( had the plastic grille ) was all smashed- even epoxying it together didnt help.

Heres a pic of the old murray with the MTD hood n twin:
Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT) - Page 3 Modife10

I had to cut the dash back a little bit to make it fit - also make a hood lock out of a bolt - so it didnt flop open on me.

I also had a spare bolens hood lying around- heres what that looked like:
Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT) - Page 3 33008010

Heres what it originally looked like- you can see all the cracks in the grille:
Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT) - Page 3 80798511
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT)   Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSeptember 1st 2010, 6:52 pm

I love the looks of those wideboy hoods. Almost a shame to ditch it. Mind you I do like MTD hood too Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT)   Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT) - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Montgomery Wards(MTD) trail tractor(Now Murray Widebody LT)
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next