All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Hydro wheel hubs: are they possible?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Tour1

Hydro wheel hubs: are they possible? Empty
PostSubject: Hydro wheel hubs: are they possible?   Hydro wheel hubs: are they possible? Icon_minitimeNovember 10th 2021, 11:59 am

I've peeked at hydro transmission manuals, pics, or YouTubes, never had one so I apologize in advance for my ignorance.  Also beg forgiveness because it's about an ATV Rolling Eyes
I bought an ATV 'cuz I want to skip the build phase and go directly to the off-road part.  Meanwhile I'd like to push some snow off my driveway too.  The ATV has a permanently locked rear differential and it goes too fast for a small paved driveway like mine.  Item 1 is to switch the big off-road wheels to small diameter wheels for plowing pavement, which should be like a lower gear ratio, maybe 2/3 of the speed and 3/2 of the torque at cost of some ground clearance and obstacle climbing.
Item 2, the motivation for the post, does anybody think it's possible to build wheel hubs from hydro tranny parts so hydraulic lines from hub to hub would add differential function to a locked axle?
Just writing here hits me with common sense like, get a plow for the mower and use the ATV as designed.  Still the idea might work for adding front wheel drive or something too.  Mechanically the hub(s) might need an extra strut to keep it from turning, same as a tapmatic if you've ever used one, the the hydro fluid would drive the wheel and get piped to the other hub(s) to share the power.
Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Hydro wheel hubs: are they possible?   Hydro wheel hubs: are they possible? Icon_minitimeNovember 10th 2021, 10:14 pm

If you wanted a diff and the ATV is chain drive, perhaps a peerless 100 would work? Although in Europe some of their cab-over diesel trucks have a hydraulic front wheel assist built into the hubs and plumbed in off a PTO on the transmission, but the speed is limited to 20 mph. It's pretty neat.

I suppose this could be done to a lawn or garden tractor, but the cost would be similar to buying a well-used 4x4 or mfwd gt. If you had the parts, a lot of time and a willingness to sink a lot of money in it could be done but me personally I'd see it as something that's more cool than practical. Another option though that's cheaper though still a bit complex is to get an all wheel steer transaxle thats identical to the one in the back of your mower and mount it as the front axle. You can do a lot with independent rear brakes and good tires though, farmers got by with that for well near 60 years Smile
Back to top Go down
Budget_gokart
Established Member
Budget_gokart
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Hydro wheel hubs: are they possible?   Hydro wheel hubs: are they possible? Icon_minitimeNovember 11th 2021, 8:49 am

im pretty sure an mtd FNR can be modified to have steering knuckles
Back to top Go down
Tour1

PostSubject: Re: Hydro wheel hubs: are they possible?   Hydro wheel hubs: are they possible? Icon_minitimeNovember 11th 2021, 9:05 am

I was just daydreaming with a purpose, really, since the premise of my actions has been that I don't have time to build much.
Still, the hydro hub could be simpler than a transmission because it doesn't need to be variable speed, it just has to allow torque-vs-speed exchanges with other hubs. Splitting the fluid volume with undriven front axle hubs would double the gear ratio if the tires were the same size, and I think they wouldn't have to be. Each of the fronts would only need the 2 hydraulic connections and a link that would oppose torque but allow steering.
Smaller diameter tires woyld deliver more force at the tread if the same torque were applied at the hub, so maybe different pump volume front & rear hubs would be best.
I suppose independent hydraulic braking would also be possible, but it reminds me of the other thread where the hydraulic parts are too expensive.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hydro wheel hubs: are they possible?   Hydro wheel hubs: are they possible? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hydro wheel hubs: are they possible?
Page 1 of 1