All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build

Go down 
+12
MSteele323
Yamaharules163
Thevinnieman92
welder1991
CMHN
Corey123
Ropertractor14
Mississippi1313
Webmaster
arild365
dangeroustoys56
Chunk
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Webmaster
Webmaster

Webmaster

Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build   Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 6th 2010, 8:44 am

Snow in florida? damn... Up here in maine it's like spring has come earily. The last 3 snow storms missed us. Today, it's gonna hit 50 and I'm goin wheelin!

But, of course, I'll get covered! I would go for the flaps, Chunk.... LOL!
Back to top Go down
http://ww.atltf.com
arild365
arild365

PostSubject: Re: Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build   Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 6th 2010, 10:49 am

yah here in Canada Bc we missed winter. all we got was one little dump of snow witch lasted a day and rained the rest of the time. But spring has come early it started like 3 days ago but today its unbelievable. really sunny. we actually never get sun.

but anyways chunk mudflaps are a gread idea. last time i went muddin, i ate the mud. all of it flew up into my face
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/arild365
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build   Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 6th 2010, 11:42 am

fearlessfront: Noooo- that was back up north a few years ago- we've had frost but no snow. Heck we only have 2 giant oak trees and a couple fruit trees here ( used to have like 14 fruit trees- before we had em cut down).

There actually has been snow in northern florida tho- near the panhandle.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build   Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 6th 2010, 4:05 pm

arild365 wrote:
but anyways chunk mudflaps are a gread idea. last time i went muddin, i ate the mud. all of it flew up into my face

Well thats one way to get out of a mud pit, eat the mud around your tractor! lol!

That old track you had dangerous toys looked pretty cool, shame you;ve got no where local to mud.

I definatly think Im going for the mud flap idea. Ive nearly got my pulleys made now. Totally f****d up the boss for my hole saw. Its stuck to the saw now, rendering the saw and the boss useless! Gonna have to go and get another boss and68mm saw, just to finish drilling on bit of metal.

Im making hubs for the pulley's Ive drilled, so I know they're true and straight. The front one is done. I was hoping to get both done, but now Im gonna have to wait until next week to order new bits, and then make the pulley, THEN order my belt. I really wanted to be able to ride is next weekend
Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids
Mississippi1313
Mississippi1313

PostSubject: Re: Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build   Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 7th 2010, 2:17 pm

Eh,i don't like the rubber sides on the fender idea.
I hate mud flap type things.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build   Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 7th 2010, 5:20 pm

It relaly all depends on how the bearclaws sit next tto the fender. I may or may not do it, its really just an idea for later down the line, when everything is testing out etc.

Each to his own though. I still cant wait to get my tyres!
cheers
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build   Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 7th 2010, 5:31 pm

Well it's been a long weekend, full of flying tools and bad words.
Okay, so it's not quite that bad, but Ive had a nightmare building my pulleys, then discovering the rear one isnt centred. Hopefully this image shows how much.
Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build - Page 2 S6001086
Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build - Page 2 S6001087

But I'm more interested in making my tranny work now.
Ive gone from having one good 6 speed and a bad 5 speed to having two bad trannys! I took the spider gears out of the old (think it might be an 800 or similar) tranny, that bad a bad input. Would never engage. It's a nice strong tranny, with grease nipples/zerks and gear oil/fill plug already on it. Would be nice to use if it worked.
Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build - Page 2 S6001092
After harvesting the spider gears, I then proceeded to taking apart the 6 speed (I think its a 900 something)

That turned out to be a bad idea. After taking out the old grease, I put the gears back in, and now nothing fits right! I now know what I need to do to stop the extra spiders flopping about in the main gear.
My problem is, the upper case wont fit anymore (it pivots in the middle somewhere) and the input shaft makes a horrible grating noise when turning it by hand, just like the proken one did, although it still drives. I really dont know what Ive done. I just hope Ive not broken anything, becuase if I have this project is going no where for the forseeable future pale
Hears the inside of it. This is my first time acuatlly opening a tranny, and although I knew exactly what to expect, this is turning into a total mess.
Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build - Page 2 S6001097
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build   Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 7th 2010, 6:24 pm

maybe your getting the shift collar misaligned with the shifter on the upper case side. It's the groved smooth thing in the bottom right of the last pic, to the left of the gear. try sliding it all the way towards the gear on the right and do the same with the shifter on the upper case. also make sure everything is meshing right, try to spin it while it's open to get it to settle. Keep messing with it, don't give up! I went through this exact same thing when I locked the craftsman. it took me an hour of messing with it to get it to sit right.
But, I finaly got it, and so will you!
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build   Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 7th 2010, 10:49 pm

NRP1991 had the same issue with one of his transmissions- theres a lil tab on all those bushings need to be lined up correctly to sit flush in the housing, y have to rotate them to sit correctly - i think thats my issue with the kleen kut as well- im just not messing with that thing now.....
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build   Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 8th 2010, 2:38 am

I was speaking to mowerspeedracer last night, he said the same thing, it is probably the bushings somewhere, I'll have another bash tonight, it was a long weekend, I didnt feel like messing with it anymore so just left it.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build   Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 8th 2010, 6:36 am

I hear y- that kleen kut i had the trans out like 4 times n still couldnt figure it out- thats why its sitting engineless and the decks off it now out under a tarp....ill probably put it behind the shed with a couple others when i drag my other 3 down.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build   Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 12th 2010, 5:11 pm

It's a little dead round here just now. Boo!

Anyway, another pictureless update. I've since sorted out my gearbox problem, it was just the bushings that were stopping it close. The diff it totally locked now, just need a pulley and to add grease fittings and it's ready to go back in. Turns out after hitting it with a wire wheel that it's a peerless 930. Not the best for racing by any means, but this thing isnt for racing. If I do build a racer, Ive got the other tranny I can make work, with the bearings inside the tranny Very Happy

Anyway, Ive started making the exhaust while Im waiting for parts. Using some 3/4" piping from the safety net of a trampoline means I can make some nice headers. They're gonna go through the frame, then a 'sausage' muffler on each side, before going into 1 3/4" pipe, then finally onto my harley tailpipes. The large diamter pipes will give it a nice deep rumble.

I may get more done tomorrow, Ive got about 60 small conifers I need to plant tomorrow, fun stuff Mad

Here's a vid update https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4k5fFkoanc
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build   Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 12th 2010, 6:31 pm

Yeah, I've been busy doing other stuff latley. it sucks. I still got alot to do on the front end of mine. I'm glad to see someone is making progress!
Tomorrow is gonna suck, I've got to replace both of the lower control arms in the front of my wifes car. It needs all new bushings. There goes that day! Mad Hopefully I can get it all done in a timley fashion, I'd like to get more done on the crawler, and maybe do a better update now that I got my camera charger.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build   Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 13th 2010, 6:22 am

I hear y- ive had thursday off- freaking rained ALL day- heck rained ALL day yesterday as well - have some serious water lying around now- ill try n get out today n tinker.

Surpisingly weve had more hours at work ( up to 40 hrs) which is good ( but sucks for shed time) - i might be changing jobs here soon tho- im trying to get back in at my wife's work- it means ALOT more hours ( plus ot!) and more money, BUT the drive is like 50 miles one way- i figure itll end up a lil more then im making now by the time i pay for gas, PLUS its something i like to do- manufacturing ( i HATE retail work like im doing now)- so the pros are more then cons.

Im also hoping ( but not likley if i get the new job) to go up north n get my stuff( altho i might need to leave a tractor there unfortunately) - we bot a 'new' used car - id only be able to haul stuff on the trailer and boxes in the car Shocked - most likely id leave the agway- id set it up to mow again for pop (he uses my white for a spare now). I definiltly want my white n toro - the agway im not worried about really.

So, all this means the wheelhorse n wizard projects might be on hold for a while - ill finish the MTD, so thatll have to do for now -
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build   Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 18th 2010, 2:10 pm

Seems like forever since I last updated on this. Progress is still slow. Im trying to sell some parts to get more money to put into the thing, like RTV sealant, gear oil, grease nipples, and a pulley, all for the rear end. ONce they're in I can work out a belt length, wait for that, then once I have it I can figure out my clutch! Fun stuff!

Anyway, while Ive been waiting for stuff to sell, I decided to work on my exhaust. The plan was to run the pipes through the frame, beside the pulley, then head back. Becuase I dont want this thing screaming, I got myself two 'sausage' style mufflers, to quieten it down, and stop the backfires too. After that, its going to open up into some 1 3/4 inch dia. pipe, which will give it a lower tone, and means I can slide my nice chrome tail pipes over the end!

First thing was to cut the holes in the frame. I was goign to use a hole saw but figured it would be quicker with a recip. saw (sawzall). Not as tidy, and the last blade I have has a slight kink in it so it bucked alot! Got em cut though.
Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build - Page 2 S6001110
Using some pipe from a trampoline (the safety net part) I build some manifolds to bolt onto the block. They worked perfectly, as the flare in a little at the end, meaning I can get a socket over the bolts to tighten them up. Next was to bent the pipe into shape. Not having a bender, I cut sections out of the exhaust, then bent it to shape that way, before welding it up again. I tested them for leaks, bolted 'em on and fired her up. Damn! Im glad I got those mufflers. It still backfired like a b***h.
I think the carb runs rich, it uses alot of gas too, but its got a fixed main jet on it (I think) so nothing I can do. Gives me an excuase to run a motorbike carb on it though cheers

Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build - Page 2 S6001111
Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build - Page 2 S6001117
Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build - Page 2 S6001124
Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build - Page 2 S6001122
Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build - Page 2 S6001123
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build   Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 18th 2010, 4:42 pm

Cool- i like how y did the bends n stuff thru the chassis. Ill have to see what ill do when i get the tractor all put together about the exhaust- might see what the local muffler shop might charge.....be different seeing a modifed lawntractor sitting in a muffler shop- lol! maybe ill give it a try building my own.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build   Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 18th 2010, 5:35 pm

That coudl almsot be worth paying for just to get a picture of it in the exhaust shop! WOuld be a great photo.
And thanks, I think making that little extra effort to hide the exaust makes it look cooler, plus it wont get in teh way of my bigger front tyres!

You could easily build your own. I rushed these, could have spent alot longer getting them to look nice. You definatly have the skills to do it man
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build   Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 19th 2010, 4:09 pm

Yeah when i finally get it built , ill see what itd cost to have it done- i like the idea of mandrel bends- LOL! Then they can get the ends at a slight angle like i wanted ( like sidepipes on a car - it bends then is cut at an angle) - if it costs too much,then ill build it myself.
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build   Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 20th 2010, 10:10 pm

That exhaust is some pretty creative work! me likes! It looks like it will work well too.
Where is the exhaust going from there? out the back? Those thing are LOUD without mufflers on them, I'm suprized your not deaf! lol
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build   Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 21st 2010, 3:58 am

I wear ear plugs when i run my tractors - stock or modifed - suppose its bad enough i torture my ears with loud music - just the drone of a lawntractor motor/weedwacker/chainsaw bothers em.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build   Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 21st 2010, 8:04 am

I couldnt stand how loud it was. I put some sausage mufflers on now. Still not quiet, but I didnt want it too quiet anyway. Stops the annoying backfires too! And give it a much deeper tone.

Theyre gonna exit under the footrests. I'll suprise you when theyre done. Got a little suprise.
Gotta put the damned footrests of first though!

Ill try to get more photos. I cant really do much until I have sealant and gear oil, oh yeah, and a pulley, for my rear end. Money I dont have right now. Just sold a carb for £20 so that should get the tranny back together! Woop
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build   Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 5th 2010, 5:54 am

Ive been having a nightmare of a time trying to get a ~5 inch pulley, I think Im going to have to just use a rear pulley the same size as the front one. Not what I wanted, but there is nothing around. Maybe later on I'll order one from the US or something. Anyway, thats the main reason why I havent made an updates. Im going to try and get the foot rests on today, I'll get photos! Stick that other pulley on the rear and then work out some beltretainers.

For those who havent seen my updates, go to www.youtube.com/user/CSAKvids

Later guys!
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build   Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 5th 2010, 8:13 am

Seems odd theres no where y can find that stuff - what about putting a want ad in a local flyer or something?
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build   Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 5th 2010, 8:55 am

Pulleys arent really used all that often for stuff. I guess there just isnt as much demand for them over here for some reason. For now Im going to just leave it at a 1:1 ratio. With the 22 inch back tyres Im getting it should still go pretty fast.

Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build   Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 5th 2010, 12:09 pm

Got a little more work done today. Just the foot rests, but its progress

Also going to run a 1:1 ratio pulley wise for now. Just so I can get it going! Belt should arrive next week, then all I gotta do is make the clutch cheers

I had the thing up on a car ramp to get under it better, expecting the front wheel to lift. It was still planted on the ground! Think its safe to say its got lots of articulation
Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build - Page 2 S6001142-1

Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build - Page 2 S6001144-3
Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build - Page 2 S6001145-4
Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build - Page 2 S6001147-5
You should be able to make up the little tabs welded to the frame. These are made of 1" angle. They're pretty strong. They should be going anywhere.
Once both sides were welded, I had a load of metal stick above the frame. Got myself a new zawzall blade. It's pretty huge. DeWalt Demolition series. This thing is seriously heavy duty. Cut it flush with the frame, looks somewhat proffesional now Very Happy

Until next time my friends!
Back to top Go down
Ropertractor14
Ropertractor14

PostSubject: Re: Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build   Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 5th 2010, 4:36 pm

Looking good man!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/GMCsierra1500
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build   Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next