All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

new tractor....

Go down 
+2
richie thomas
Caleb10123
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Caleb10123
Caleb10123

new tractor.... Empty
PostSubject: new tractor....   new tractor.... Icon_minitimeSeptember 4th 2013, 10:04 am

oky guys i have a murray and its on its last leg for parts and im interested in getting something without a pan fram because mine is bent. I have an engine, mainly looking for a body. whats some good mowers that have a good suspension and steering from stock manufacturer. i understand things will break and ill need to fab them stronger but i want something that is close to indestructible from stock. any ideas? and also are poulans built well? must have good clutch and pulley system...
Back to top Go down
richie thomas
Veteran Member
richie thomas
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

new tractor.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: new tractor....   new tractor.... Icon_minitimeSeptember 4th 2013, 10:08 am

your best bet is to get rid of the pan frame and get something with a c channel frame, they are pretty strong, or a ayp frame(craftsman, husqvarna, weedeater),your best bet on something "indestructable" from factory would be pre 1985, as just about everything before then is of a higher quality
Back to top Go down
mudmonkey06
mudmonkey06

new tractor.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: new tractor....   new tractor.... Icon_minitimeSeptember 4th 2013, 10:13 am

richie thomas wrote:
your best bet is to get rid of the pan frame and get something with a c channel frame, they are pretty strong, or a ayp frame(craftsman, husqvarna, weedeater),your best bet on something "indestructable" from factory would be pre 1985, as just about everything before then is of a higher quality
i just built a 90 something craftsman II and its pretty damn indestructible and cheap
Back to top Go down
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

new tractor.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: new tractor....   new tractor.... Icon_minitimeSeptember 4th 2013, 11:36 am

rule of thumb is "the older it is the stronger/ higher quality it will be". my Bolens G-10 is made of 2 cast iron pipes. around 2-1/2 to 3 inch diameter, running that run the length of the tractor. the front end bolts up to the pipes, the motor mounts bolt through the pipes, and they go all the way back to the transmission. i have flexxed the snot out of this thing and i cant feel any movement whatsoever. the entire frame is cast iron. heavier than hell, but sturdy
Back to top Go down
Caleb10123
Caleb10123

new tractor.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: new tractor....   new tractor.... Icon_minitimeSeptember 6th 2013, 1:12 pm

i came across and lt1000 6 speed, no pan frame, has a 16hp but its demolished, i have a 15hp sabre for it, are the 1000s good steering and suspension wise and what type of transaxles typically come in these tractors? and the front wheel spindles, will they hold up better than murrays? if anybody knows in pros and cons for this particular mower it would be greatly appreciated before i make a final decision. Thanks
Back to top Go down
Ariens YT11
Established Member
Ariens YT11
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

new tractor.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: new tractor....   new tractor.... Icon_minitimeSeptember 6th 2013, 1:27 pm

richie thomas wrote:
Well my AriensYt11 is a 84 and the frame is stamped but is strong but not strong enough. I'm gonna reinforce it with some 1" square tubing soon.
Back to top Go down
matt-man
matt-man

new tractor.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: new tractor....   new tractor.... Icon_minitimeSeptember 6th 2013, 5:39 pm

I have an ayp frame and so far it has held up but it has barely been off road
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

new tractor.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: new tractor....   new tractor.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

new tractor....
Page 1 of 1