All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

FRONT AXLE: LOCK OR LOTS OF TRAVEL?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
tractor_guy
tractor_guy

Front - FRONT AXLE: LOCK OR LOTS OF TRAVEL?  Empty
PostSubject: FRONT AXLE: LOCK OR LOTS OF TRAVEL?    Front - FRONT AXLE: LOCK OR LOTS OF TRAVEL?  Icon_minitimeNovember 17th 2013, 10:48 pm

Got a couple builds to do around here.
One is my wifes and she wants hers to be faster. From what ive read, locking it up is the way to go.
Mine is gonna be more like my tradesman, an all around offroader I can still use to tow the kids on the flatbed and so on. My tradesman is stock (basicly). Im in West Virginia so there is no flat ground here. I'd like to have more articulation but stability on the hills is crucial. As is the tradesman is ok as far as stability, but crappy articulation.
Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: FRONT AXLE: LOCK OR LOTS OF TRAVEL?    Front - FRONT AXLE: LOCK OR LOTS OF TRAVEL?  Icon_minitimeNovember 18th 2013, 9:38 am

There's a few possible routes you can take with this. Leaving it stock is not an option- it's not allowed here, and we'll be forced to ban you.

I'm kidding, of course. You could indeed leave the frontend stock, and just tolerate it, as is. You could weld a pivot on top of the axle (as opposed to in it, which would gain you a few more inches of combined travel at the wheel. Stability may not be that much of a concern, but is manageable. If you're then getting a bit too much travel, you can fab up limiters.

Raising the pivot point to the top of the axle will also result in lifting the frontend by the same value- so if the new pivot (measured centre to centre) is 2" higher than stock, you will have lifted the frontend 2". Fuel for thought.

Depending on you rough your terrain is, you'll want to consider locking the differential. When traversing rough terrain, you sometimes end up with a rear tire in the air- with an open diff, you don't move. This may be exaggerated by more frontend articulation.

Some tractors have bumpstops built in that limit axle articulation. If yours does, you can cut or grind them off.

Some tractor designs may allow you to increase articulation by using a grinder (or torch) to clearance the channel where the axle ends hit at maximum uptravel. Beware of weakening the frame or frontend when you examine this option.
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: FRONT AXLE: LOCK OR LOTS OF TRAVEL?    Front - FRONT AXLE: LOCK OR LOTS OF TRAVEL?  Icon_minitimeNovember 18th 2013, 10:24 am

If you won't go more than stock speed, you could do a lot of flex. If you are going more than 15mph, lock it. For offl(r)oading and 15mph and under, if keep it flexy. It keeps tires on the ground longer.

Last edited by redlinemotorsportts on November 18th 2013, 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: FRONT AXLE: LOCK OR LOTS OF TRAVEL?    Front - FRONT AXLE: LOCK OR LOTS OF TRAVEL?  Icon_minitimeNovember 18th 2013, 10:29 am

redlinemotorsportts wrote:
offloading
Honestly, Red- I had NO idea you were Chinese... LMAO lol!
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: FRONT AXLE: LOCK OR LOTS OF TRAVEL?    Front - FRONT AXLE: LOCK OR LOTS OF TRAVEL?  Icon_minitimeNovember 18th 2013, 10:58 am

Blaming the phone FFS LOL
Back to top Go down
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: FRONT AXLE: LOCK OR LOTS OF TRAVEL?    Front - FRONT AXLE: LOCK OR LOTS OF TRAVEL?  Icon_minitimeNovember 18th 2013, 11:18 am

Where r u in wv? I'm in wheeling! I run very gnarley trails. I run unlocked diff, mud tires all around, a small rear end lift for clearances. I also run ungoverned. Def a bonus. I'm working on locking the rear end with fozzys and getting more articulate. Don't lock the front end. It does little to no difference.. even at speed unless you hit turns at full speed.. you'll be ok.
Back to top Go down
tractor_guy
tractor_guy

PostSubject: Re: FRONT AXLE: LOCK OR LOTS OF TRAVEL?    Front - FRONT AXLE: LOCK OR LOTS OF TRAVEL?  Icon_minitimeNovember 18th 2013, 12:38 pm

Troy built; im in the salem area on the doddridge/harrison co. line. About 16 miles from clarcksburg/bridgeport.
My wife wants hers fast so mine is gonna have to have SOME speed to make riding together more fun. But I only got a two speed so low gear after the change has to be no more them stock top speed. That way I can still climb hills and tow the flatbed.
My main concern is getting sideways on the steep hills . I figure locking it would be best in that scenario, but when traversing streams and other rocky areas, articulation would be nice to have. Wile reading your comments the idea of a lock in, lock out setup popped in my head. That would pretty much give me the best of both worlds. What you think?
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: FRONT AXLE: LOCK OR LOTS OF TRAVEL?    Front - FRONT AXLE: LOCK OR LOTS OF TRAVEL?  Icon_minitimeNovember 18th 2013, 1:52 pm

I think it's a workable idea. If your axle design allows for it, it could be as simple as drilling a couple holes through the axle and channel, and putting a couple hitch pins in. In truth, one pin would do it- but I usually over-engineer things, as I hate breakage.

I think if you're going to rig a locking system, it's worth the effort to increase the articulation.
Back to top Go down
tractor_guy
tractor_guy

PostSubject: Re: FRONT AXLE: LOCK OR LOTS OF TRAVEL?    Front - FRONT AXLE: LOCK OR LOTS OF TRAVEL?  Icon_minitimeNovember 18th 2013, 3:34 pm

Doc: I was thinkin the same thing. If I do a selectable lock axle I may as well maximize the articulation and make some adjustable stops if needed. Maybe even grind a tapered tip on the pin and use the deck leaver to engage it.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: FRONT AXLE: LOCK OR LOTS OF TRAVEL?    Front - FRONT AXLE: LOCK OR LOTS OF TRAVEL?  Icon_minitimeNovember 18th 2013, 4:58 pm

Ooohhh- I LIKE it! One needn't get off one's lazy, tractor-ridin' beehind to lock or unlock it. Do it to it!
Back to top Go down
tractor_guy
tractor_guy

PostSubject: Re: FRONT AXLE: LOCK OR LOTS OF TRAVEL?    Front - FRONT AXLE: LOCK OR LOTS OF TRAVEL?  Icon_minitimeNovember 19th 2013, 9:15 am

lol! 
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: FRONT AXLE: LOCK OR LOTS OF TRAVEL?    Front - FRONT AXLE: LOCK OR LOTS OF TRAVEL?  Icon_minitimeNovember 19th 2013, 11:06 am

I've posted this before, but here goes.

We run all 5 of ours with swivel front axles, with limited movement. Too much swivel, and it will lift the inside rear tire on corners, and feels tippy. We probably have 4in of up and down travel at the front tire.

The swivel helps keep the rears planted when trail riding. We ride some really tough trails. Having it limited some, we can race also, and drift the corners.

If your steering geometry is correct, then it is perfectly stable at higher speeds.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FRONT AXLE: LOCK OR LOTS OF TRAVEL?    Front - FRONT AXLE: LOCK OR LOTS OF TRAVEL?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

FRONT AXLE: LOCK OR LOTS OF TRAVEL?
Page 1 of 1