All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Murray Trail Rider Build

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Cubhorse80
Cubhorse80

Build -Off - Murray Trail Rider Build Empty
PostSubject: Murray Trail Rider Build   Build -Off - Murray Trail Rider Build Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2014, 5:25 pm

I got this 80's murray 18/42 and want to make it a trail rider/mudding mower. Its got an 18hp briggs opposed so PLENTY of power. It has a beefy 4 speed transmission with an oversized brake. I have allready put a temporary gas pedal on it but i ordered one with a solid cable in it. This one is a wound cable and its crimped together in a loop where it connects to the carb. It has too much play and its plastic so it has to go.

I want to do the general pulley swaps, new tires, straightpipes (not straight up like they are now, the guy before i got it did that), lights, bumpers, clutch upgrades and so on. I just need some ideas and if anyone has this same tractor some tips.

HELP PLEASE!

Thanks all!

Alex
Back to top Go down
Cubhorse80
Cubhorse80

PostSubject: Re: Murray Trail Rider Build   Build -Off - Murray Trail Rider Build Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2014, 6:35 pm

Pictures...
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner

PostSubject: Re: Murray Trail Rider Build   Build -Off - Murray Trail Rider Build Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2014, 6:57 pm

Nice plans for your build!  If you need any info you can check out the link in my sig titled "My Rally" there I have some info on my build.  You can also check around to what other people did to their mowers for info.
Back to top Go down
Cubhorse80
Cubhorse80

PostSubject: Re: Murray Trail Rider Build   Build -Off - Murray Trail Rider Build Icon_minitimeJanuary 5th 2014, 1:37 pm

heres the pictures... (now that i know how to do it.  Laughing )

Build -Off - Murray Trail Rider Build Img_2020

Build -Off - Murray Trail Rider Build Img_2021

Build -Off - Murray Trail Rider Build Img_2022

Build -Off - Murray Trail Rider Build Img_2023

Build -Off - Murray Trail Rider Build Img_2024

Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Murray Trail Rider Build   Build -Off - Murray Trail Rider Build Icon_minitimeJanuary 5th 2014, 2:35 pm

Nice! Beef rear axle in that thing. Might wanna brave those stacks good on case of a rollover or a branch hitting them. Results to the exhaust ports could be ugly
Back to top Go down
Cubhorse80
Cubhorse80

PostSubject: Re: Murray Trail Rider Build   Build -Off - Murray Trail Rider Build Icon_minitimeJanuary 5th 2014, 2:41 pm

Those stacks will be gone as soon as i figure out somthing else to do with exhaust. The are too loud when they are right in front of my face Mad 

the kid that had it before me made them and kept the tractor outside so they were full of water when i got there and he was clueless on why it wouldnt start  Laughing Laughing 

im thinking going under the foot rests and out the sides with a small muffler welded in so its not defening. but i have to read up on ideas. study scratch 

And yes the rear end is REALLY beefy. 1" axles with 5 bolt hubs. It has a 8" diam brake Smile
Back to top Go down
Creepycrawler
Established Member
Creepycrawler
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Murray Trail Rider Build   Build -Off - Murray Trail Rider Build Icon_minitimeJanuary 5th 2014, 3:43 pm

Hey bud nice tractor, been looking for one like for awhile, I had one as a little kid. as far as exhaust check out redlines mtd build, he made some nice side pipes that exit under the floor boards like your talking about
Back to top Go down
Cubhorse80
Cubhorse80

PostSubject: Re: Murray Trail Rider Build   Build -Off - Murray Trail Rider Build Icon_minitimeJanuary 5th 2014, 10:43 pm

I think i have a general idea on what im gonna do Smile i have to buy a welder first  Laughing 

I think i am going to make a whole new front axle and steering from scratch though. it needs to be wider and has to be able to make better turns. I want to make it about 8" futher out on each side and make it king pin steering with custom front axles and turning mechanisms. it needs to be strong and i want to put 4 bolt hubs on it.

I also wouls like to upgrade steering to rack and pinion from a golf cart as well as put atv tires on the fornt and back.  cheers cheers 
Back to top Go down
Cubhorse80
Cubhorse80

PostSubject: UPDATE   Build -Off - Murray Trail Rider Build Icon_minitimeJanuary 9th 2014, 7:12 pm

I got some work done... got the seat and the upper cover off and removed the gas tank as well as the steering column and the dash. its pretty clean underneath not much rust but needs work. the steering has alot of play and i would like to make a new steering system from scratch because this one is weak.

i took the hood and stacks off and turned this thing on the side and took a look underneath. I want to make a new clutch kind of like fearless's but i dont know where to start especially with this being a vertical shaft engine and a horizontal shaft rear end. the belt has to twist. the brakes are huge and dont need to upgrade them.

Im constantly thinking of ideas but i need help coming up with some good stuff to do on this thing!

Help is appreciated! cheers 

Build -Off - Murray Trail Rider Build Img_2025

Build -Off - Murray Trail Rider Build Img_2026

Build -Off - Murray Trail Rider Build Img_2027

Build -Off - Murray Trail Rider Build Img_2028

https://i.servimg.com/u/f56/18/68/43/57/img_2030.jpg[img]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Murray Trail Rider Build   Build -Off - Murray Trail Rider Build Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Murray Trail Rider Build
Page 1 of 1