All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

David Bradley's hate cold weather? Please help

Go down 
+3
Doug
1997 Murray
fletch6393
7 posters
AuthorMessage
fletch6393
fletch6393

David Bradley's hate cold weather? Please help Empty
PostSubject: David Bradley's hate cold weather? Please help   David Bradley's hate cold weather? Please help Icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2014, 11:31 am

Hi I have a David Bradley super 5.6 garden tractor. I have all original parts for it. I have been using it to plow the snow on my massive long driveway and it has worked great. However the other day it was really late and I was plowing and I ran out of gas and couldn't get it into the barn( which by the way really is just 3 walls and a roof) so I left if outside. I wrapped it up with a tarp really well and left it sit for the night. The next day I got gas, filled it up and tried to start it. No luck. This isn't uncommon for it it usually takes a while to draw fuel anyway so I shot some starting fluid in it. It fired a couple times then died. That usually happens. I went inside for about 5 minutes to get my gloves. (Mind u it's about -30 degrees with the wind chill probably like -6 Actual temp.) when I came back out I tried to start it and nearly threw out my shoulder trying to pull the starter rope. It was super stiff and sluggish and it was hard to turn the crank. Now I can't get it started. Any ideas tips pointers or miracles? I have nearly a foot of snow all the way up to like three feet of snow ( drifts) covering my driveway that needs to be cleared.
Back to top Go down
1997 Murray
Veteran Member
1997 Murray
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: David Bradley's hate cold weather? Please help   David Bradley's hate cold weather? Please help Icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2014, 11:36 am

mabe the oil is to thick, or your transaxle is in gear and it is making it hard to pull over.
Back to top Go down
fletch6393
fletch6393

PostSubject: Re: David Bradley's hate cold weather? Please help   David Bradley's hate cold weather? Please help Icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2014, 11:42 am

I think u could be right about the oil but it hasn't been a problem all winter it has worked fine up till now and the transaxle is disengaged. Also I have another question, it has a locking differential and it usually works fine but lately only one tire spins and it keeps getting stuck. Also I might have put gasoline contaminated with water in it but I daring the fuel line and the gas tank and put fresh fuel in.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: David Bradley's hate cold weather? Please help   David Bradley's hate cold weather? Please help Icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2014, 12:10 pm

-30, your oil is probably the consistency of a melted marshmallow. -1 this morning and my truck didnt wanna crank. If you have an enclosed garage, bring it in and warm it up. You can also try drawing fuel through the lines to the pump.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
fletch6393
fletch6393

PostSubject: Re: David Bradley's hate cold weather? Please help   David Bradley's hate cold weather? Please help Icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2014, 12:26 pm

I don't have an enclosed area I can put it in to warm up. Do u think if I wrapped some pipe Warner's, the kind you plug into the wall around it that would help?
Back to top Go down
T-Dub13
Established Member
T-Dub13
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: David Bradley's hate cold weather? Please help   David Bradley's hate cold weather? Please help Icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2014, 1:47 pm

That's a good idea. You would want to cover up the motor with some old comforters or blankets or something if it's windy out. Keep the small amount of heat in! Also, maybe a hair dryer will help if applied to the cylinder / block area. Warm up the carb too. It could have iced up during your last run.  Cool 
Back to top Go down
fletch6393
fletch6393

PostSubject: Re: David Bradley's hate cold weather? Please help   David Bradley's hate cold weather? Please help Icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2014, 2:04 pm

Hey i got it started but now the stupid locking differential wont lock and its just spinning one tire not going anywhere fast. Anyone know what might be wrong? the cable ios fine and is working the way it should.
Back to top Go down
T-Dub13
Established Member
T-Dub13
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: David Bradley's hate cold weather? Please help   David Bradley's hate cold weather? Please help Icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2014, 2:11 pm

Well, if it's related to the cold, then I'd suggest just doing some high speed runs up and down the driveway to loosen up whatever grease or oil is in the tranny. Or get out the hair dryer.  Laughing 
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: David Bradley's hate cold weather? Please help   David Bradley's hate cold weather? Please help Icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2014, 2:13 pm

Depending on what the transaxle is using for lubricant, it could be the same thing... gear oil is sluggish at room temperature.

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
fletch6393
fletch6393

PostSubject: Re: David Bradley's hate cold weather? Please help   David Bradley's hate cold weather? Please help Icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2014, 2:25 pm

ok thanks. the only problem is its getting stuck every 3 feet because of the snow and the fact the diff dosent lock.
Back to top Go down
T-Dub13
Established Member
T-Dub13
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: David Bradley's hate cold weather? Please help   David Bradley's hate cold weather? Please help Icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2014, 2:58 pm

It's either broken or frozen. In hopes that it's just frozen, you should be able to warm it up by putting some horsepower through it. Is there any way to get a run up and down the driveway? Sometimes they just need a good old fashioned beating.  Laughing 
Back to top Go down
Craftsman1998
Veteran Member
Craftsman1998
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: David Bradley's hate cold weather? Please help   David Bradley's hate cold weather? Please help Icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2014, 3:23 pm

Yeah warm up the engine the oil is to thick so it won't turn over or makes it hard to start
Back to top Go down
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: David Bradley's hate cold weather? Please help   David Bradley's hate cold weather? Please help Icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2014, 3:28 pm

I spent 2 hours under my buick when it was 90 below with a blow torch... the engine heater kept the engine warm, but the auto tranny fluid had frozen solid.
Back to top Go down
T-Dub13
Established Member
T-Dub13
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: David Bradley's hate cold weather? Please help   David Bradley's hate cold weather? Please help Icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2014, 4:38 pm

That's why they say it's better to warm up your car / truck by driving slowly instead of letting it just sit running. It warms up everything instead of just the motor.  Wink 

Where did you find -90 degrees?!!!  Shocked 
Back to top Go down
fletch6393
fletch6393

PostSubject: Re: David Bradley's hate cold weather? Please help   David Bradley's hate cold weather? Please help Icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2014, 6:21 pm

Hey I got it working. My torch ran out and it's a level 3 out so I legally can't go get more propane so I said what the heck and sprayed starting fluid on the transaxle and pulled out the old zippo and lit it on fire. It works now.
Back to top Go down
T-Dub13
Established Member
T-Dub13
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: David Bradley's hate cold weather? Please help   David Bradley's hate cold weather? Please help Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2014, 9:44 am

You read my mind! That's a very cool tractor btw...  Cool 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: David Bradley's hate cold weather? Please help   David Bradley's hate cold weather? Please help Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

David Bradley's hate cold weather? Please help
Page 1 of 1